Dumb Loop Question...

I've stared at this for a good hour now and it has condensed to much smaller than it originally was.. I'm trying to validate an employee ID number to a SQL database in order to continue my script. I have the database stuff all finished, but I'm stuck with a stupid loop problem.. The following code is not my exact script by rather some chunks I cut out to demonstrate it.

While 1
$text = InputBox("Please Login", "Please enter your Badge Number and click OK.", "", "*")
$result = "1" ;in the full script this is the result of a SQL query (in an array) but for demonstration purposes it is 1
_Min(25, 10)
If @error = 1 Then ; THIS is where my problem is. InputBox sets @error at 1 if cancel is pressed, but other functions are setting @error before this is checked resulting in it doing nothing. I changed @error with the simple math function above, breaking my cancel button..
  Exit
ElseIf $result <> 0 Then ;my SQL function returns the array of a query here. This would normally be _ArrayDisplay($result) but to demonstrate it I changed it to a MsgBox
  MsgBox(4096, "test", $result)
  ExitLoop ;exit the loop and continue with code after the While loop
ElseIf $result = 0 Then ;the SQLite function I call returns 0 if there is no data in the query
  MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Invalid Data")
EndIf
WEnd

I've stared at it too long now so if anyone has a suggestion to make my loop register the @error from the InputBox to fix the cancel button it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

While 1
$text = InputBox("Please Login", "Please enter your Badge Number and click OK.", "", "*")
$InputError = @error
$result = "1" ;in the full script this is the result of a SQL query (in an array) but for demonstration purposes it is 1
_Min(25, 10)
If $InputError = 1 Then ; THIS is where my problem is. InputBox sets @error at 1 if cancel is pressed, but other functions are setting @error before this is checked resulting in it doing nothing. I changed @error with the simple math function above, breaking my cancel button..
  Exit
ElseIf $result <> 0 Then ;my SQL function returns the array of a query here. This would normally be _ArrayDisplay($result) but to demonstrate it I changed it to a MsgBox
ElseIf $result = 0 Then ;the SQLite function I call returns 0 if there is no data in the query
EndIf
WEnd

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

This should work:

While 1
    If @error = 1 Then Exit ; You can check @error here as no further processing is needed. All other lines will be processed when @error = 0
    _Min(25, 10)
    If $result <> 0 Then ;my SQL function returns the array of a query here. This would normally be _ArrayDisplay($result) but to demonstrate it I changed it to a MsgBox
    Else ;the SQLite function I call returns 0 if there is no data in the query
    EndIf
WEnd
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I should've been more specific about that $result line.. it is actually calling a function which ends up changing @error but I didn't include that in my sample.. I'll post the entire thing because it is somewhat difficult to explain.

#include <SQLite.au3>
#include <array.au3>
$text = "1234"
While 1
$result = CheckDB($text)
If @error = 1 Then
  Exit
ElseIf $result <> 0 Then
  _ArrayDisplay($result)
  ExitLoop
ElseIf $result = 0 Then
  MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Invalid login")
EndIf
WEnd

Func CheckDB($text)
Local $hQuery, $aRow
_SQLite_Startup()
_SQLite_Open(@ScriptDir & "db.db")
_SQLite_Query(-1, "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE SSN='" & $text & "' OR BadgeNumber='" & $text & "'", $hQuery)
_SQLite_FetchData($hQuery, $aRow)
_SQLite_QueryFinalize($hQuery)
If $aRow[0] = "" Then
  Return 0
Else
  Return $aRow
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>CheckDB

So all of the SQL functions end up changing @error before it checks the input box @error.. to my understanding..

Edited by digiworks

You could store the @error macro in a variable.

Local $aInputError = @error

You can also manually set the @error macro using SetError() which is in the helpfile.

#include <SQLite.au3>
#include <array.au3>
$text = "1234"
While 1
Global $aInputError = @error
$result = CheckDB($text)
If $aInputError Then
  Exit
ElseIf $result <> 0 Then
  _ArrayDisplay($result)
  ExitLoop
ElseIf $result = 0 Then
  MsgBox(4096, "Error", "Invalid login")
EndIf
WEnd
Func CheckDB($text)
Local $hQuery, $aRow
_SQLite_Startup()
_SQLite_Open(@ScriptDir & "db.db")
_SQLite_Query(-1, "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE SSN='" & $text & "' OR BadgeNumber='" & $text & "'", $hQuery)
_SQLite_FetchData($hQuery, $aRow)
_SQLite_QueryFinalize($hQuery)
If $aRow[0] = "" Then
  Return 0
Else
  Return $aRow
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>CheckDB

I hope that helps.

Edited by Decipher
Spoiler

censored.jpg

That works perfectly! I had tried doing it earlier that way but without the Global so that must've been it! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread ^^

I'm glad that resolved your issue.

I doubt that the local or global scope of the variable fixed this issue. You could have used dim $variable.

Look at this line:

If $aInputError Then
  Exit

False = 0

True if <> 0 to my understanding.

So the script would always exit if $aInputError is not 0.

InputBox()

@Error 0 = The string returned is valid. 1 = The Cancel button was pushed. 2 = The Timeout time was reached. 3 = The InputBox failed to open. This is usually caused by bad arguments. 4 = The InputBox cannot be displayed on any monitor. 5 = Invalid parameters width without height or left without top.

From the help file, Later.

Edited by Decipher
Spoiler

censored.jpg