Finding images on the screen - DTM or an alternative?

Hello everyone. My first post, but I'll jump straight to the gist ;)

I am writing a rather simple script for a game strategic game. There is a map on the main panel and icons appearing on the map. The icons are always the same and are not affected by antialiasting or any other effect.

I am trying to find the icons on the map. Some I can find just by one pixel - the pixel isn't repeated so it's enough, but will I have to write a function to search the whole screen pixel-by-pixel for the specific colour, or is there something better to return an array of coordinates of pixels with the matching colour?

Other images, though, are more complex and I need to look for a pixel pattern. Basic DTMs (Deformable Template Models) are what I have been using so far, but will I have to write my own function to find the main pixel and then search for sub-pixels or is there something similar already?

Or maybe a better way to find those icons? I'm new to memory editing so I don't event know where to start when it comes to finding stuff other than numbers and text. The Window Info tool doesn't show much either:

Class: WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.33c0d9d
Instance: 1
ClassnameNN: WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.33c0d9d1
Name: dxBasePanel
Advanced (Class): [NAME:dxBasePanel]
ID: 1311936
Text:
Position: 0, 92
Size: 1480, 911
ControlClick Coords: 804, 305
Style: 0x56000000
ExStyle: 0x00010000
Handle: 0x00000000001404C0

Nothing changes when I hover over an icon. The visible and hidden texts refer only to stuff outside of the main panel.

Does anyone have a different idea on how to handle it? I'll be grateful for any help

Sorry, didn't expect one of the most obvious application for automation to be a taboo here ;)

I script to learn only. The game was just an example - a tool and environment to learn the language. Sorry for violating the rules, anyway