_WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle UDF (With detailed example!)

Kealper

Ok, so this has probably been posted before, but I was looking through the MSDN library randomly just a bit ago, and decided to play around a bit with some of the console-related functions.

AutoIt can make basic console applications to provide users with some basic output (which is generally more efficient than outputting to a GUI), but wouldn't it be cool to be able to name your console windows just like you can name your GUI windows?

Instead of it being called "C:\Users\Foobar\Desktop\MyEchoServer.exe" for instance, you could make your program call itself just "My Echo Server" and such.

Here is the simple UDF on it's own, and below this is a nice little example detailing how you can use the function.

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle
; Description ...: Change the AutoIt process's attached console title.
; Syntax ........: _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle($sTitle[, $hDLL = "Kernel32.dll"])
; Parameters ....: $sTitle            - A string value.
;                 $hDLL             - [optional] A handle value. Default is "Kernel32.dll".
; Return values .: True if the title was able to be changed, False if it was not able to be changed.
; Author ........: Ken "Kealper" Piper
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle($sTitle, $hDLL = "Kernel32.dll")
    Local $iRet = DllCall($hDLL, "bool", "SetConsoleTitle", "str", $sTitle)
    If $iRet[0] < 1 Then Return False
    Return True
EndFunc

And here is the example... For best results, save this to a file and compile it as a console application.

If it isn't compiled as a console application, there is a quick and dirty DllCall in there to create a "dummy" console if it doesn't exist already which can serve to demonstrate the function anyways (but without any textual output).

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=asInvoker
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

;Create a new console window if it does not already exist, even if it is not compiled as a console executable.
;This DllCall is not part of the example, it only serves to ensure the example works correctly.
;Don't run through SciTE, the example will fail, and even this DllCall can't fix that.
DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "bool", "AllocConsole") ;Don't just rely on this though, to get the most from this, compile as a console app!

;Begin actual example.

ConsoleWrite("Keep an eye on the console's window title!" & @CRLF)
Sleep(3000)

;First: Setting the title of your console window is as easy as this!
_WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle("This is some custom text!")

;A simple count-down, so the first title change is visible for a few seconds before proceeding to the next example.
For $i = 5 To 1 Step -1
    ConsoleWrite("Proceeding in " & $i & "..." & @CRLF)
    Sleep(1000)
Next
ConsoleWrite("On to example two! This'll count to 50 and then exit." & @CRLF)

;Second: Something a bit more advanced. Changing the console's title rapidly.
;When changing the console's title rapidly, you should first open Kernel32.dll and then pass that handle
;as a second parameter to the function. This makes it use the open handle instead of having to open and
;close Kernel32.dll each time the function is called. This ends up making it more efficient.
$Kernel32 = DllOpen("Kernel32.dll") ;Open Kernel32.dll. $Kernel32 now holds a handle to the opened file.
For $i = 1 To 50 ;Count to 50
    _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle("Counting..." & $i, $Kernel32) ;Set the new title, and tell the function to use the open handle instead.
    Sleep(100) ;Wait 100ms, so the change can be easily seen by everyone. Without this, the change would happen too fast to notice.
Next
DllClose($Kernel32) ;Finally, because we like our resources, close the open handle since we no longer need it.

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle
; Description ...: Change the AutoIt process's attached console title.
; Syntax ........: _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle($sTitle[, $hDLL = "Kernel32.dll"])
; Parameters ....: $sTitle            - A string value.
;                 $hDLL             - [optional] A handle value. Default is "Kernel32.dll".
; Return values .: True if the title was able to be changed, False if it was not able to be changed.
; Author ........: Ken "Kealper" Piper
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _WinAPI_SetConsoleTitle($sTitle, $hDLL = "Kernel32.dll")
    Local $iRet = DllCall($hDLL, "bool", "SetConsoleTitle", "str", $sTitle)
    If $iRet[0] < 1 Then Return False
    Return True
EndFunc

Look out for complete console implementation, e.g. by Mat, progandy, Shaggi, etc. ;)

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Look out for complete console implementation, e.g. by Mat, progandy, Shaggi, etc. :)

This?

Me likey a lot ;)

I have to admit, that Console.au3 is something I fully intend on staring at the source to... My console reading function stopped working when AutoIt dropped the raw file read mode, since I was getting console text by reading the device file "con"... Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this!