Basic programming question

I have a function. I want to perform 1 action if it is the 1st time through the function and another if it is a subsequent pass. Currently, I am using a (global) counter to keep track of this. Is there a more elegant way of handling this?

Func FindPreviousBuild()
    Dim $aBuild
    If $count = 1 Then    ; 1st time through
        ; Get the actual number part of the Build Folder
        $aBuild = StringSplit($NewestDir, "-", 2)
        $BuildNo = $aBuild[1]
    Else
        $aBuild = StringSplit($BuildNo, "-", 2)
        $BuildNo = $aBuild[1]
    EndIf
    If IsInt($BuildNo) Then
        MsgBox(8240, "Navigation Error!", "I should have a build number, but I do not!")
    EndIf
    $BuildNo = $BuildNo - 1 ; Previous Build No
    $BuildNo = $aBuild[0] & "-" & $BuildNo
    $BuildFolder = $BaseFolder & "\" & $Branch & "\" & $BuildNo
    $RtnVal = FileFindFirstFile($BuildFolder)
    If Not ($RtnVal = -1) Then ; This build number was skipped
        $count = $count + 1
        DetermineBuildFolder(1)
    Else
        $NewestDir = $BuildNo
        FindPreviousBuild()
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>FindPreviousBuild

• Moderators

robinsiebler,

You could use a Static variable - the declaration assignment of which is only actioned on the first pass:

Func Foo()
    ; Set the value only on the first entry into the function
    Static $iFooCount = -1 
    ; Increase the value each time we enter the function
    $iFooCount += 1
    ; Now look at value in the variable
    If $iFooCount Then
        ; Not the first pass because value > 0
    Else
        ; First pass because value = 0
    EndIf
EndFunc

That way you do not have to declare a Global variable just for the one function. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

robinsiebler,

You could use a Static variable - the declaration assignment of which is only actioned on the first pass:

M23

Warning: This feature is experimental. It may not work, may contain bugs or may be changed or removed without notice.

DO NOT REPORT BUGS OR REQUEST NEW FEATURES FOR THIS FEATURE.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Note: Other than the big sign that says "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK"... it looks like what you want =D

EDIT:

What about declaring the counter as a local variable PRIOR to the function, and passing it as a ByRef to the function?

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

I've been using Static quite a lot since it was introduced and to date I have not encountered any problems. I think the was some doubt if it would work for arrays but I have never had call to use static with arrays. Used as Melba23 showed I have found it to be 100% reliable.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

It works with Arrays as well. I think the warning was there to deter users from posting 'silly' bug reports due to it being a new feature with some static variable knowledge. If in doubt ask in the forum is what I say, don't go posting Trac reports because it doesn't work first time.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Now based on its usage, declaring it as Static is just like declaring it as Local, except if the variable gets changed in the function, and the function is called again later, it will use the updated value. Now does this mean the variable stays held in memory because of this since it doesn't get cleared out at the end of the function?

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

• Moderators

mechaflash213,

Correct - as I understand it. Once declared the variable exists while the script runs, but is only scoped as Local to the function in which it is declared. As previously explained, the declaration assignment is only carried out once - it is ignored after that. ;)

And I believe that thanks to trancexx the "experimental" tag should be removed in the next release. I have been using simple Static variables since they were introduced and have had no problems. The main error was in ReDimming a Static array. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

JohnOne,

Again as I understand it, you are correct. The advantage is that you can do this:

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "On_Exit")

While 1
    _Func_1()
    _Func_2()
    Sleep(1000)
WEnd

Func _Func_1()
    Static $iCount = 0 ; Same variable name <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $iCount +=1
    ConsoleWrite("Func 1: " & $iCount & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func _Func_2()
    Static $iCount = 0 ; Same variable name <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $iCount -=1
    ConsoleWrite("Func 2: " & $iCount & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func On_Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

which I think is very useful indeed. ;)

M23

Spoiler

It is pretty cool I use it in some of my projects, but like you mentioned had a hiccup with static

arrays last year, but not had the chance to try them since fix.

And speaking of trancexx, I'm looking forward to the next awesome release of Autoit.

I'm ashamed to say I have not tried any betas,

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

JohnOne,

You really should try them - there is some good stuff in there. ;)

And yet more comimg, too....... :)

M23

Spoiler

I concur what Melba23 said e.g.

Local $aArray[] = ['John', 'One', 'Two', 'Three']

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I've been following the thread closely, but I'm a big baby when it comes to major additions and such.

And to be honest, I don't know how to install a beta alongside a release and use them both.

I'm very excited nonetheless.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

JohnOne,

I don't know how to install a beta alongside a release and use them both

Very easy to do. Just download the beta and install it - it goes into its own "Beta" folder within the main AutoIt folder. If you use SciTE4AutoIt3 you suddenly find a whole bunch of "Beta Run/Compile" menu options appearing. And Robert is your mother's brother. ;)

M23

Spoiler