[Solved] Looking for a more efficient way to populate 2D array

• Moderators

I have been working on a project that pulls information from a sql database (Microsoft SCCM), and then presents a GUI to the end user to manipulate that data. On startup, the application pulls a list of collections of computers the user has access to. Currently I pull in a web report, save it as a .csv, and then convert the sheet to a 2d array. This works very well, but is a bit cumbersome. It adds 5-10 seconds onto the startup, which to the end user seems to be a lag, since I cannot create the GUI until this array is created.

I can query the database directly, and get the same information far more quickly in just a few lines of code (see below). I'm just unsure how to easily convert this into a 2d array any other way than the Excel trick I am using above. From the Help file, _ArrayAdd is for a 1D array only. Am I overlooking something obvious, or is the Excel method the best option?

I can easily pull the query, and use the $element.Name and $element.CollectionID properties, but would like to have them in an Array for use in the rest of the application.

$sServer = "SCCMP02"
$SCode = "P02"

$oLocator = ObjCreate("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Global $oSMS = $oLocator.ConnectServer($sServer, "root\sms\site_" & $SCode)
If @error Then MsgBox(0, "", "Can't Connect")
$oSMS.Security_.ImpersonationLevel = 3
$oSMS.Security_.AuthenticationLevel = 6
$oResults = $oSMS.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM SMS_Collection WHERE Comment LIKE '%Site License%' ORDER by Name")

For $element In $oResults
  $name = $element.Name
  $colID = $element.CollectionID
  MsgBox(0, $name, $colID)
Next
Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Maybe something like this? I'm not sure if the name of the property where the recordcount is stored is count or recordcount

#include <Array.au3>
$sServer = "SCCMP02"
$SCode = "P02"

Global $oLocator = ObjCreate("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Global $oSMS = $oLocator.ConnectServer($sServer, "root\sms\site_" & $SCode)
$oResults = $oSMS.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM SMS_Collection WHERE Comment LIKE '%Site License%' ORDER by Name")

Global $aResult[$oResults.Count][2]
Global $iIndex = 1
  $aResult[$iIndex][0] = $element.Name
  $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $element.CollectionID
Next
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Hi, Water. Thanks as always for the great suggestion. I tweaked what you have above just a little, and it is now displaying the array. Unfortunately, it displays only the last item in the array. I figure I have to find a way to increments the $iIndex variable but receive an error about the array dimensions being exceeded. Guess I'll be brushing up on UBound ;) Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction.

#include <Array.au3>
Local $oResults
$sServer = "SCCMP02"
$SCode = "P02"

Global $oSMS = $oLocator.ConnectServer($sServer, "rootsmssite_" & $SCode)

Global $iIndex = 1

$name = $element.Name
   $col = $element.CollectionID
   $aResult[$iIndex][0] = $name
   $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $col
Next

_ArrayDisplay($aResult)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

My bad ;) The counter has to be incremented

#include <Array.au3>

$sServer = "SCCMP02"
$SCode = "P02"

Global $oLocator = ObjCreate("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
If @error Then Exit MsgBox(0, "Error", "Can't Connect")

Global $oResults = $oSMS.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM SMS_Collection WHERE Comment LIKE '%Site License%' ORDER by Name")

Global $iIndex = 0

$aResult[$iIndex][0] = $element.Name
   $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $element.CollectionID
   $iIndex += 1
Next

_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
N.B. When an error occurres when connecting to the server I would exit the script because the following object related statements will crash. Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

I knew what you meant ;) I actually tried the same thing, but I get the error $aResult[$iIndex][0] = $name >> "Array varuable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded". I am thinking I would have to loop through it somehow in order to increment $iIndex. I tried this, but it just takes the last element in the array and puts it on every line. I just have to figure out how to loop through the elements in $oResults outside the second For loop.

#include <Array.au3>
Local $oResults
$sServer = "SCCMP02"
$SCode = "P02"

Global $iIndex = 1

For $x = 1 To UBound($aResult) - 1
     $name = $element.Name
     $col = $element.CollectionID
     $aResult[$iIndex][0] = $name
     $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $col
   Next
Next

_ArrayDisplay($aResult)

Counts the number of elements correctly (124), but produces this on every line:

[0]||
[1]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[2]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[3]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[4]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[5]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[6]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[7]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[8]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[9]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[10]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[11]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[12]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[13]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[14]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[15]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[16]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[17]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[18]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
[19]|WoundPath Shortcut 1.0|P020009F
Edited by JLogan3o13

Pleas test the (modified) code I posted above again. The index has to start with 0 not with 1 as we don't have the index in "row" 0 of the array.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

D'oh! My turn ;) . That works perfectly. Thanks a ton, just cut my startup time in half with this.

To make it (a bit) faster you can remove the unneccessary assigns (above code modified again) and alter the counter incrementing.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Thanks again, that helped more than I would have thought. From 5-10 seconds I'm down to less than 2 for launching the app. I'm sure the end users will appreciate that.

Tell them to throw coffee, beer and wine at you if they are happy with the result ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Tell them to throw coffee, beer and wine at you if they are happy with the result ;)

That's going to hurt!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018