Autoit devs: v3 syntax with the benefits of hindsight

Hi guys,

I'm interested, with the benefit of several years hindsight, what the developers and other power users think.

What syntax + semantics would you add or remove, and why?

curious,

Twitchyliquid64

Edited by twitchyliquid64

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

• Moderators

Mat,

I think you mean "ternary". ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I don't see a need for EndIf and EndFunc. Why not just End?

Edit: Well, ok, if you're at the end of a large function then yeah it makes sense. Disregard my post.

Edited by LaCastiglione

I've heard some suggestion that Opt() and autoit flags are stupid and should be removed.

www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/137246-latest-beta/page__st__120

www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/wiki/AutoItNotOnToDoList

what's the issue with the flags? are there just too many/too junky?

also i have heard suggestion that the syntax for dll* is less than ideal along with other things.

Take a look at

DllCall() and the unwieldy syntax. Take a

look at how data structures are faked in the

language. Non-trivial GUIs all but require

one or more global variables due to a lack

of user-defined callback parameters (and

arguably a lack of objects to encompass the

whole thing)

in hindsight, what would you do instead?

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Bring on a new developer. Ask that new developer to change things, fix things and implement new things. Change/fix/implement new things myself.

hmmm interesting. as a developer are you still involved in active implementation of new features?

As I have become more familiar over time, the things that seem incomprehensible to me generally appear to be Microsoft's doing and not related to AutoIt (although not always). I've learned to live with the inconsistancies to some degree. One thing that bugged me for a long time was binary representation and manipulation. It still does bug me in fact. I'm sure things are very different at the machine code level, but I'm looking at it from the point of view of someone who thinks binary only has two values. If you want to add preceeding zeros why stop at 32 or 64? Why not add an infinite number of preceeding zeros? ;)

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, afterall a bit is a bit and binary is a numeric base.

Edited by czardas

I just came across the following interesting quote by Valik: It's not entirely related to my previous rant but is illustrates some of the issues. - mainly the fact that the blueprint is wrong in a number of places to start with. Making changes to AutoIt that will break 90% of scripts is not really going to be very popular.

The entire world is relying on this "wrong" behavior. The electric you are using is provided to you courtesy of a broken modulo operator. The operating system you are using currently is relying on it. If your automobile has an on-board electronics system, chances are, it's relying on the wrong behavior. Get the point; do you really want to suggest we make AutoIt "right" so we can be different than the rest of the world?

I'm a bit on the fence regarding this kind of thing. Copying incorrect models still seems a hard pill to swallow.

Edited by czardas