Screen shot is "blank" in some case

Hi all,

I made a while ago, based on the "_ScreenCapture_Capture" code a tool to capture screenshot of the PC at regular interval. This is an excellent parental control tool.

recently I upgraded to windows Seven. Under this OS game such as Minecraft or Leagues of Legend show screenshot as blank screen.

I dont know what to try. If anyone as a clue, I give it a try.

thanks.

Gilles

A lot of games don't like being automated, they use things like dirextx to stop

it being scraped.

That is probably the reason, and it's unlikely you will get help doing it, for

the reason it is a game.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Besides Screencapture read all processes and filter them with a white list and a black list.

If on white list skip it (e.g. notepad.exe) , if on blacklist kill the process and log it for parental advice.

If on neither list log it and put it on black or white list later.

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

• Moderators

All,

This thread keeps getting reported as "game-related". The OP has made it quite clear why he is taking the screen-shots - and it is not to interact with the games. So please do not report it again. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hi guys,

You are not getting my point.

I am not tryong to automate any game. I am just a father that has found a tool (autoIt) to make screen capture of the usage of our computers.

Until I was using Windows XP, everything was fine, and game such as Minecraft or leagues of legends give good screenshot.

Now that I am using Windows Seven, for the same games, the screen shot is blank (black screenshot).

That's why I am questionning the different way screencapture work under windows XP and windows Seven.

Cheers.

Gilles

Try to switch OFF Aero.

Thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately it does not help.

I wanted to point out the fact that the problem only occurs when the game (minecraft or leagues of legends) is in full screen.

When the game is in windowed mode, the screenshots are fine.

Anyone, any clue ?

regards.

Gilles

• Moderators

gillesg,

As mentioned above, many games use very sophisticated measures to prevent the kind of thing you are trying to do. I imagine that is what is happening here. :)

If you are looking to monitor your children's use of the machine, I would go with something along the lines of forumer100's earlier suggestion of looking at the running processes. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

gillesg,

As mentioned above, many games use very sophisticated measures to prevent the kind of thing you are trying to do. I imagine that is what is happening here. ;)

M23

Hi,

I know that game industry uses sophisticated methods, but as I mentioned it is working fine under Windows XP, but not under Windows Seven.

That's why I was wondering if there is something special that needs to be worked out in _ScreenCapture function.

Regards.

Gilles

PS : I will post some screenshot to night to try to be more explicit.

Edited by gillesg

I don't get all this parental control malarky (well not most of it)

If I am looking after a child who is to young to be on the internet unsupervised

I supervise them. I can understand site and word filters and such, but to me

anything else is spying.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Can you please try http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122941&view=findpost&p=853636 whether it is possible to take the screenshot?

Just select on the left window the appropriate window. If it is black double click with rmb in the list to use alternative method. You can use also the print key.

Thanks,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Oooo I got a question! What happens if you run your app as Administrator? I've found that some programs designed for XP and earlier, while they will function (seemingly) fine when being executed normally, will act differently when being run as Admin.

EDIT: also, where do your pictures get saved to? Windows 7 has stricter protections on certain folders.

Edited by Tripredacus

Can you please try #853636 whether it is possible to take the screenshot?

Just select on the left window the appropriate window. If it is black double click with rmb in the list to use alternative method. You can use also the print key.

Thanks,

UEZ

Hi,

thanks for the idea. I tried multiple times, but I still haven't found how to make screenshot of the full desktop, with the focus set to a different window than Screenshooter.

Can you give me a hint ?

Gilles

Oooo I got a question! What happens if you run your app as Administrator? I've found that some programs designed for XP and earlier, while they will function (seemingly) fine when being executed normally, will act differently when being run as Admin.

EDIT: also, where do your pictures get saved to? Windows 7 has stricter protections on certain folders.

Hi,

There is no difference between Administrator and user.

It saves pictures to user's forlder without problems.

Gilles

Hi,

thanks for the idea. I tried multiple times, but I still haven't found how to make screenshot of the full desktop, with the focus set to a different window than Screenshooter.

Can you give me a hint ?

Gilles

Either you mark the whole desktop or press the print key (takes the bitmap from clipboard), F11 (incl. mouse pinter) or F12 (without mouse pointer).

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

• Moderators

I haven't seen this asked and answered yet, but my old eyes may be deceiving me. Are you able to consistently take a screenshot manually (PrtScn button) and then save it to a file while the game is in full screen mode? This will help determine whether it is a script issue or the security features mentioned earlier.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I haven't seen this asked and answered yet, but my old eyes may be deceiving me. Are you able to consistently take a screenshot manually (PrtScn button) and then save it to a file while the game is in full screen mode? This will help determine whether it is a script issue or the security features mentioned earlier.

Hi JLogan3o13,

you are 100% right. A manual screenshot (PrintCsreen Button) is not doing the job under Windows Seven. So the Script is fine, but windows Seven and not the game is adding some control or security.

I will keep digging and let you know if I come up with something.

Thank for your time and help.

@gillesg: I'm just curious - did you try with the screenshooter to take a screenshot of a game using F11/F12?

I've no games installed to test it currently.

Br,

UEZ

Hi UEZ,

Yes, of course I tryed. The result was the same a blank (dark) screen. As mentioned in my answer to JLogan3o13, a manual screenshot gives the same result. So that should be related to Windows rather than to AutoIt Script.

So I will start looking into windows Seven settings to understand and fix that.

Regards,

Gilles