Content posted on the forums free-to-use?

Hi guys,

I am using AutoIt to write a small interface at work. I love the community and enjoy learning and hope to give back when I am more well versed on it. I have often come to the forums to learn and want to use a UDF or two posted by talented people here.

I was fairly sure that I read somewhere that content posted on these forums as examples are free-to-use, but I cannot find anything to that effect through searching. I have found the overall license: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/license.htm but it doesn't seem to explain about user generated content on the forum.

My apologies if it's right in front of my face somewhere, but can anyone give me guidance on this at all please?

Thank you.

I don't think you'd have any problem with distributing a compiled program you wrote using UDFs. I would guess most provisos involve things like distributing the source, modifying it etc..

I think it varies with the author. Look for files like readme license etc.. in the download. Also look at comment blocks in the source. If you couldn't compile programs using the UDF there wouldn't be much sense in the author providing it. Most stuff I've seen is about giving credit to the author if your function is a modification of thiers etc..

Also there are guidelines to UDF authors on the forums. Licensing may be one of the thing stipulated.

See this thread for a start:

Edited by MilesAhead