GUICtrlSetOnEvent Does Not Detect Event After GUI Recreated

Casey

Hello All,

We have a small script designed to log what we are up. The script as it was originally written used tray items to make specific type entries whenever the person wanted to make a log entry. It also used an AdlibRegister function to trigger a reminder message box every 15 minutes.

All was good until I decided to replace the reminder message box with a gui that could allow the user to select the type rather than closing it and selecting a tray item. I learned quickly that the tray items wouldn't do anything when they were selected after the gui was closed.

So I am attempting a rewrite to make this possible. The code below has quite a bit incomplete and some stuff I need to trim out or change. However, I am coming to you with my current issue. Instead of waiting the 15 minute intervals the AdlibRegister function is set to, I temporarily set the "about" tray item to call the function that I am testing.

Logically speaking:

• _gui1 is called when opening the script
  • When _gui2 is called either from the about tray item or the AdlibRegister function the combo is populated
  • When the user selects an item from the combo, GUIOnEventMode 1 is used to detect the selection
  • When the detection is made, the _ItemSelect function is called
  • The selection type value is retrieved
  • The gui is deleted
  • An input box appears to make the log entry
  • Then I destroy the tray items because I can't figure out how to get them to do anything if I don't
  • I then call tray items to be created again
The loop: _gui1 -> _gui2 -> _ItemSelect -> _gui1

In the end, I should have created a means of switching reading messages between the tray and the gui. This has resulted in almost exactly that. However, after _gui2 appears the second time, the GUICtrlSetOnEvent doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions as to why this is would be greatly appreciated.

V/r

Casey

#NoTrayIcon
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiComboBox.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>
#include <GuiComboBoxEx.au3>
If Not FileExists(@MyDocumentsDir & "\ActivityLogs\") Then
DirCreate(@MyDocumentsDir & "\ActivityLogs")
EndIf
AdlibRegister("_CheckTime", 500)
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
Global $hGUI2 = 9999, $Sel, $Item, $entryData2
_gui1()
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Func _gui1()
Global $entryitem, $phoneitem, $ngbitem, $genericitem, $openlogitem, $aboutitem, $exititem
Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; Default tray menu items (Script Paused/Exit) will not be shown.
$entryitem = TrayCreateItem("New task...")
$phoneitem = TrayCreateItem("New phone call...")
$ngbitem = TrayCreateItem("New NGB item...")
$genericitem = TrayCreateItem("New generic entry..")
TrayCreateItem("")
$openlogitem = TrayCreateItem("Open task log")
TrayCreateItem("")
$aboutitem = TrayCreateItem("About")
$exititem = TrayCreateItem("Exit")
TraySetState()
_LogOpenClose("LAUNCH")
While 1
  $msg = TrayGetMsg()
  Select
   Case $msg = $aboutitem
    ;MsgBox(64, "About", "ABOUT ENOUGH TO DRIVE ME CRAZY.")
    _gui2()
   Case $msg = $entryitem
    _WriteLog("TASK")
   Case $msg = $phoneitem
    _WriteLog("PHONE")
   Case $msg = $ngbitem
    _WriteLog("NGB")
   Case $msg = $genericitem
    _WriteLog("MISC")
   Case $msg = $openlogitem
    _OpenLog()
   Case $msg = $exititem
    ExitLoop
  EndSelect
WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_gui1
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Func _gui2()
Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode
$hGUI2 = GUICreate("Update Your Progress", 260, 70) ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Update your calendar for " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN, 10, 10, 200)
$Item = GUICtrlCreateCombo("TASK", 10, 30) ; create first item
;MsgBox(0,"$Item",$Item)
GUICtrlSetData($Item, "PHONE|NGB|MISC", "TASK") ; add other item snd set a new default
_GUICtrlComboBoxEx_ShowDropDown($Item, True)
$ItemCheck = GUICtrlSetOnEvent($Item, "_ItemSelect")
;MsgBox(0,"$ItemCheck",$ItemCheck)
GUISetState()
While 1
  Sleep(100)
WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_gui2
Func _ItemSelect()
MsgBox(0, "", "_ItemSelect() Entered")
$Sel = _GUICtrlComboBox_GetCurSel($Item)
GUIDelete($hGUI2)
;Note: at this point @GUI_CTRLID would equal $Item position in the array
Select
  Case $Sel = "0"
   $boxTitle = "Add a task to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter a task to be added to the task log:"
   $boxDefault = "@" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & " - "
   $type = "TASK" ;Give a name to the array position
  Case $Sel = "1"
   $boxTitle = "Add a phone call to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter a phone call to be added to the task log:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "@Time - Caller, #, Subject"
   $type = "PHONE"
  Case $Sel = "2"
   $boxTitle = "Add an NGB related item to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter an NGB-related item to be added to the task log:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "@Time - Who, What"
   $type = "NGB"
  Case Else
   $boxTitle = "Generic Entry"
   $boxPrompt = "Enter text to add to the log."
   $type = "MISC"
EndSelect
Sleep(500)
$entryData2 = InputBox($boxTitle, $boxPrompt, $boxDefault)
If Not $entryData2 = "" Then
  $logFile = FileOpen(@MyDocumentsDir & "\ActivityLogs\" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".log", 1)
  FileWriteLine($logFile, $type & " - " & $entryData2)
  FileClose($logFile)
EndIf
TrayItemDelete($entryitem)
TrayItemDelete($phoneitem)
TrayItemDelete($ngbitem)
TrayItemDelete($genericitem)
TrayItemDelete($openlogitem)
TrayItemDelete($aboutitem)
TrayItemDelete($exititem)
TraySetState(2)
_gui1()
EndFunc   ;==>_ItemSelect
Func _CheckTime()
$iMin = @MIN
If @SEC = 0 Then
  Switch $iMin
   Case "00"
    _Notify("00")
    Sleep(1000)
   Case "15"
    _Notify("15")
    Sleep(1000)
   Case "30"
    _Notify("30")
    Sleep(1000)
   Case "45"
    _Notify("45")
    Sleep(1000)
   Case Else
    Sleep(1000)
  EndSwitch
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_CheckTime
Func _Notify($varMin)
_gui2()
;_LogWindows()
EndFunc   ;==>_Notify
Func _LogWindows()
$logFile = FileOpen(@MyDocumentsDir & "\ActivityLogs\" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".log", 1)
$var = WinList()
FileWriteLine($logFile, "=========================================" & @CRLF & "LOG STARTING:  " & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & "  " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN)
FileWriteLine($logFile, "OPEN WINDOWS: ")
For $i = 1 To $var[0][0]
  ; Only display visble windows that have a title
  If $var[$i][0] <> "" And _IsVisible($var[$i][1]) Then
   ;MsgBox(0, "Details", "Title=" & $var[$i][0] & @LF & "Handle=" & $var[$i][1])
   $strActive = _IsForeground($var[$i][1])
   FileWriteLine($logFile, $strActive & $var[$i][0])
  EndIf
Next
FileWriteLine($logFile, @CRLF)
FileWriteLine($logFile, "TASKS:")
FileClose($logFile)
EndFunc   ;==>_LogWindows
Func _LogOpenClose($action)
Switch $action
  Case "LAUNCH"
   $status = "PROGRAM LAUNCH"
  Case "EXIT"
   $status = "PROGRAM EXIT"
EndSwitch
FileWriteLine($logFile, "=========================================" & @CRLF & $status & ":  " & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & "  " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & @CRLF & "=========================================")
FileClose($logFile)
EndFunc   ;==>_LogOpenClose
Func _IsVisible($handle)
If BitAND(WinGetState($handle), 2) Then
  Return 1
Else
  Return 0
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_IsVisible
Func _IsForeground($handle)
If BitAND(WinGetState($handle), 8) Then
  Return "***** "
Else
  Return ""
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_IsForeground
Func _WriteLog($type)
Select
  Case $type = "NGB"
   $boxTitle = "Add an NGB related item to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter an NGB-related item to be added to the task log:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "@Time - Who, What"
  Case $type = "PHONE"
   $boxTitle = "Add a phone call to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter a phone call to be added to the task log:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "@Time - Caller, #, Subject"
  Case $type = "TASK"
   $boxTitle = "Add a task to log."
   $boxPrompt = "Enter a task to be added to the task log:"
  Case Else
   $boxTitle = "Generic Entry"
   $boxPrompt = "Enter text to add to the log."
EndSelect
;$entryData = InputBox($boxTitle, $boxPrompt, $boxDefault)
$entryData = InputBox($boxTitle, $boxPrompt, $boxDefault & Send("{RIGHT}") & Send("{BS 2}"))
If Not $entryData = "" Then
  FileWriteLine($logFile, $type & " - " & $entryData)
  FileClose($logFile)
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteLog
Func _OpenLog()
ShellExecute(@MyDocumentsDir & "\ActivityLogs\" & @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & ".log")
EndFunc   ;==>_OpenLog
Func MessageBox($iIndex)
MsgBox("", "MsgBox " & $iIndex, "Test from Gui " & $iIndex)
EndFunc   ;==>MessageBox

You should probably try to stick to one method or the other when it comes to detecting controls being activated. Use either OnEvent mode or MessageLoop mode, don't mix them like you are because it's causing all kinds of issues in that script. The TrayMenu has an OnEvent mode, you should probably use that if you want to go the full OnEvent mode route.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The problem here is much simpler, you never leave the loop in _gui2 so AutoIt just sits there waiting for it to end forever so it can start on the next event. The loop doesn't do anything useful anyway so just remove it.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

heh, I didn't even notice the While loop in gui2(). Too fixated on what the script was trying to do without seeing the forest through the trees.

Now that I notice, it's also recursing back to the gui1 function when an item in the combo is selected, rather than just returning.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewManNH,

That is a thought and if I follow that path I will have to change some other things to make it work. I thought that I had read that it was possible to do both and except for that odd behavior, it seems possible. Thanks for the advice. I will start altering it an see how that works.

AdmiralAlkex

Removing the loop doesn't change the behavior. Also, I am assuming that when the gui is deleted that even if it were in the loop, that would go away. Or am I mistaken? Either way, there is something else happening at the point that the on event should fire that causes it not to the second time _gui2 is called.

Thanks again both of you.

V/r

Casey