Autoit V. 3 Doesn't Work At All

I have been long using AutoIt v. 2 smoothly in my PC.

Now I have just installed AutoIt v. 3, but it doesn't work at all:

"AutoIt3.exe" doesn't work, none of the example scripts works, and neither the simplest script as:

; This is my first script

MsgBox(0, "My First Script!", "Hello World!")

Neither compiling the scripts solves the problem: none of the "exes" works at all.

My SO is Windows-95. Perhaps AutoIt v. 3 has higher system requirements?

I have been long using AutoIt v. 2 smoothly in my PC.

Now I have just installed AutoIt v. 3, but it doesn't work at all:

"AutoIt3.exe" doesn't work, none of the example scripts works, and neither the simplest script as:

; This is my first script

MsgBox(0, "My First Script!", "Hello World!")

Neither compiling the scripts solves the problem: none of the "exes" works at all.

My SO is Windows-95. Perhaps AutoIt v. 3 has higher system requirements?

I am a little surprise. We regressed against Win95B,Win98SE,NT4,W2K,WXP

Can you explain how you install/get the 3.0.100 which the official version of AutoIt3. :whistle:

Make sure that you have installed the latest version available from here.

How does it not work? I would not expect a compiled program to work if the original script would not work. What does happen when you try to run it? Do you get an error message? If so, what is it?

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

• Administrators

I had another report to my email that it didn't work (just silently loads and exits) on Windows 95. The earliest version that my hardware will run (Pentium 4) is 95b - which works OK with AutoIt.

Just a single function call to something that 95 doesn't like will cause this but it's hard to find without being able to run 95 :whistle:

Edit: If any of the devs can run 95 then the problem is easy to find. Comment out all the function calls in the master "switch" statement and compile - the compiler will optimize out most stuff, same with the linker, and the code should then work OK. Then add in blocks of functions to the switch (10 at a time or something) and then when it stops working repeat.

Edited by Jon

I had another report to my email that it didn't work (just silently loads and exits) on Windows 95.  The earliest version that my hardware will run (Pentium 4) is 95b - which works OK with AutoIt.

Just a single function call to something that 95 doesn't like will cause this but it's hard to find without being able to run 95  :whistle:

Edit: If any of the devs can run 95 then the problem is easy to find.  Comment out all the function calls in the master "switch" statement and compile - the compiler will optimize out most stuff, same with the linker, and the code should then work OK.  Then add in blocks of functions to the switch (10 at a time or something) and then when it stops working repeat.

I try to have a 95 working perhaps I need to go back to 28 Floppy installation.

I report.

PS I need to do that since I reach the "mass spammer" degree B)

No error message, no warning: just nothing. As Jon said, all AutoIt 3 scripts in my system just "silently load and exit". The same with "AutoIt3.exe". Only AutoIt Compiler works, but the compiled files don't.

Of course, I have download the latest version of AutoIt from the official AutoIt Homepage.

On the other hand, my SO is Windows-95A. Perhaps is there any trouble with A version? Perhaps any DLL is missing?

Hmmmm, I "borrowed" a copy of Windows 95 from high school (Is it "stealing" if the person supposed to not let people take them kind of sort of gives it to you?). I don't think it had a key, though. If I still have that disc (Which I may not...) and I can *cough* find *cough* a serial... it could be 95A. I really don't know if it is or not, though. I can check. I do have a virtual machine to install it to if I do, though.

Edit: Wow, damn, I still had it. It's never even been opened. I thought I threw it away. Time to see just how old it is...

Edited by Valik

• Administrators

I have a copy of 95 (95 and 95a are the same from what I read) but it won't even load here under a VMWare machine. The curse of new fast processors...

The main change from 95a to b was usb and FAT32 support. I wonder if some of the file size / drive functions are choking. I remember Larry having trouble at one point with a file function causing AutoIt to stop working on 95.

• Administrators

This looks promising:

if ( (pGetDiskFreeSpaceEx = GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle("kernel32.dll"), "GetDiskFreeSpaceExA")) != NULL )
    {
  if ( GetDiskFreeSpaceEx(sTemp.c_str(),&uiFree,&uiTotal,&uiUsed) )
     vResult = double(__int64(uiTotal.QuadPart))/(1024.*1024.);
  else
     SetFuncErrorCode(1); 
    }
    else
    {
  if ( GetDiskFreeSpace(sTemp.c_str(), &dwSectPerClust, &dwBytesPerSect, &dwFreeClusters, &dwTotalClusters) )
     vResult = double(__int64(dwTotalClusters * dwSectPerClust * dwBytesPerSect))/(1024.*1024.);
  else
     SetFuncErrorCode(1); 
    }

A pointer was created for the GetDiskFreeSpaceExA function but then the actual function call was used instead! That function is 95 OSR2 only.

Osr 2.5 is Win95c I think.

Wow, a C version. I'm surprised. I live in a technological void. My high school was crap on PC's. Used DOS when 95 was king, used 95 when 98 was king, you get the point. I'm surprised they had something that "new". They finally started getting some half decent PC's... when I graduated and had already taken all the computer classes worth having anyway. I thought for sure a disc I got from there would be an early 95, but I guess not. Then again, I've had it since 97, so even then my school had time to "upgrade".

I still have copies of Windows95 laying around here somewhere. I even had the floppy install of Windows95 **shudder** but i can't sem to find it. Anyway ... if anyone needs a copy to test with I would be happy supply it. :whistle:

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of SMART?

Windows 95

Original retail version -- 4.00.950

OEM Service Release (OSR) 1 -- 4.00.950 a

OEM Service Release (OSR)

without USB supplement and

OSR 2.1 with USB supplement -- 2.0 -- 4.00.950 b

OEM Service Release (OSR) 2.5 -- 4.00.950 c

tell us what version you have cause it could be relivante, to what could be causing the problem... windows 95 had alot of different problems before they went to 98... :whistle:

• Administrators

I am sorry. I seem a kind of dinosaur by using Windows 95!!!

But the fact is a Pentium I with W-95 is more than enough for my work. 

My 95 reads: "4.00.950a"

That's fair enough.

I'll make a small change that I think may fix it and upload a special copy. If you can test that it would be great. I'll post here when I've uploaded it.

• Administrators

I've made the obvious change and hope it will work on 95a - download this custom version of the autoit exe and see if it loads on 95 / 95a. If it does then I may just quickly release it as 3.0.101 along with the 10 or so doc fixes I've done since release.

Here is the file:

http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/files/un...AutoIt3_95a.exe

Fine! The "AutoIt3_95a" patch does work. I have tested some simple "au3" scripts and it seems they run smoothly (not so the compiled "exe" files, but I guess this is normal until the new full version will be released).

Thank you very much!