How to assign clipboard text to variable using clipget example?

How to assign clipboard text to variable using clipget example?

I've looked at the help files on this but I simply lack the basic, basic skills and syntax to make it work.

Here is my code.

Run("notepad.exe")
WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad")
Send("This is text that I will copy, once copied I want to save it to clipboard and then assign a variable to fetch it later as paste variable")
Send("{CTRLDOWN}a{CTRLUP}{CTRLDOWN}c{CTRLUP}{down}")
;Ok this is where I would like to assign the clipboard text to a variable, I think this is the getclip part?
Send(@LF)
Send(@LF)
;I would like the data to be pasted from a variable that was created from copied text to clipboard previously
Send("$var text from clipboard")

Thanks

I simply want to copy text, save the clipboard to variable and then send variable, all on the same file for a test.

Here is my attempt:

Run("notepad.exe")
Send("This is text that I will copy")
$Var = ClipGet()
Send(@LF)
Send("$Var")
Send(@LF)
Send("ClipGet")

If you see the result the copied text doesn't get pasted...

I just don't know how to set up the ClipGet code to variable.

To my understanding you want something like this?

Run("notepad.exe")
Send("Some Text That You Want To Copy") ; Send some text to notepad.
ClipPut(WinGetText("Untitled - Notepad")) ; Use WinGetText function along with ClipPut to insert notepad text into clipboard.
Send (@LF)
Send (@LF)
Send("Your Text Copied From Notepad: " & ClipGet()) ; Use ClipGet to retreive the text from the clipboard.

Try changing one of the Sends to this

Send($Var)

You had the variable inside quotes, that won't send its contents, just its name

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi BrewMan,

Bingo! Yes that is what I was trying to do!

1. Copy the text

2. Put the text into a variable fetched from the clipboard

3. Send the variable

or

a. Send("{CTRLDOWN}a{CTRLUP}{CTRLDOWN}c{CTRLUP}{down}")

b. $Var = ClipGet()

c. Send($Var)

Thanks for trying also Venix :D

Here is the example for total rookies like me if this question comes up again in the future:

Run("notepad.exe")
Send("This text is getting copied")
$variable_fromclipboard = ClipGet()
Send(@LF)
Send(@LF)
Send($variable_fromclipboard)
MsgBox(0, "The text was pasted ok", "Yep can see it")
Edited by xuzo

BTW, using Send("^a^c") should work in place of all the controldown/ups you have now.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator