Getting the text of an icon on the desktop

Been stuck in this for a day now. As far as i know, the desktop's a syslistview32 control, where icons on the desktop is items, right?

Therefore i should be able to get the icon text using LVM_GETITEMTEXT?

using this code:

for item in GetListViewItems(hList)
     debugout(consolewrite, GetItemText(hList, item))
next

where GetItemText is:

#cs GetItemText(hList, item)
    @param1 = handle to the listview (hWnd)
    @param2 = index of the item
    @ret = on error, "", on success, the item's text.
#ce
Func GetItemText(hList, item)
    ; the one in structureconstants.au3 seems to be wrong
    const LVITEM = "UINT mask;int iItem;int iSubItem;UINT state;UINT stateMask; ptr pszText;" & _
    "int cchTextMax;int iImage;LPARAM lParam;int iIndent;int iGroupId;UINT cColumns;" & _
    "UINT puColumns;int piColFmt;int iGroup;"

; Create and fill the buffer.
    Local lvitem_buf = DllStructCreate(LVITEM)
    DllStructSetData(lvitem_buf, "iSubItem", 0)
    DllStructSetData(lvitem_buf, "cchTextMax", 0xFF)
    DllStructSetData(lvitem_buf, "mask", $LVIF_TEXT)
    DllStructSetData(lvitem_buf, "iItem", item)
    Local size = DllStructGetSize(lvitem_buf)

; Open process and allocate a buffer large enough for the lvitem and the text (appended at back)
    Local hMem = ProcOpen(hList), buf = AllocMemory(hMem, size + 0xFF)
    if not buf then return ""

; Calc pointer to text, and set it in the lvitem, and write it to the process
    Local pText = buf + size
    DllStructSetData(lvitem_buf, "pszText", pText)
    WriteMemory(hMem, buf, size)

; Send the message and collect the amount of characters written
    Local chars = _SendMessage(hList, $LVM_GETITEMTEXTW, DllStructGetData(lvitem_buf, "iItem"), buf, 0)

; Collect a binary string (for debug)
    Local bytes = ReadMemory(hMem, buf, "byte[" & size + 0xFF & "]")

; Calc pointer to text to be sure, and get the string.
    Local ptextout = ReadMemory(hMem, buf + offsetof(lvitem_buf, "pszText"), "ptr")
    Local stext = ReadMemory(hMem, ptextout, "wchar[256]")

; Debug stuff
    debugout(consolewrite, bytes)
    debugout(consolewrite, "[chars = " & chars & "]" & stext)
    debugout(consolewrite, _WinApi_GetLastErrorMessage())

; Clean up
    FreeMemory(hMem, buf, size + 0xFF)
    CloseHandle(hMem)

return stext
EndFunc

And hList is a class SysListView32 belonging to the progman window.

Output is:

0x01000000 + item + 000000000000000000000000000000 3C007D06FF (pointer to buffer at end) ... (zero'es)
[chars = 0]
The operation completed successfully.
[empty string]

Does anybody know what's going on? I'll admit i dont have a lot of knowledge about listviews, but this is the way that both msdn and general searching suggests (check out this link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winforms/thread/d7df8a4d-fc0f-4b62-80c9-7768756456e6)

Using autoit beta x64 (irrelevant though, tried in other languages too), and windows 7 x64.

Any help appreciated .. :D

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Why not just do something like this:

#include <file.au3>
#include <array.au3>

$list = _FileListToArray(@DesktopDir, "*.lnk", 1)
_ArrayDisplay($list)

I need to be able to get/set the icons positions, get the icon etc.. :)

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

It sounds like you're looking to do something similar to what you might want to take a look at how he did it and adapt to your needs.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator