Any suggestions?

Okay i have been working with autoit for a while on and off but I am still not very experienced i can create basic scripts that are useful but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to improve and where to start?

Thanks in advance

Joosh

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do is to come up with some practical ideas that you would like to accomplish using AutoIt, and then refuse to rest until you have coded it.

For instance, I wanted a way to automate a combination SSH/VNC connection to a remote client in a user-friendly fashion. I figured out just what I needed to do in order to achieve this, which included:

• a method to include the necessary executables (FileInstall());
  • a method to determine which connections succeeded (all sorts of different commands);
  • a user interface (most of the GUI...() commands)
I have other things in mind for myself too which will force me to embrace AutoIt's internet functionality and such.

Also it never hurts to search through the Scripts and Scraps forum for interesting pieces of code to analyse.

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do is to come up with some practical ideas that you would like to accomplish using AutoIt, and then refuse to rest until you have coded it.

For instance, I wanted a way to automate a combination SSH/VNC connection to a remote client in a user-friendly fashion. I figured out just what I needed to do in order to achieve this, which included:

• a method to include the necessary executables (FileInstall());

• a method to determine which connections succeeded (all sorts of different commands);

• a user interface (most of the GUI...() commands)

I have other things in mind for myself too which will force me to embrace AutoIt's internet functionality and such.

Also it never hurts to search through the Scripts and Scraps forum for interesting pieces of code to analyse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds like a neat little script Lx, is it in scripts and scraps?

come up with some practical ideas that you would like to accomplish using AutoIt,

For me, this is the hardest part..

laying it out step by step, exactly how i want things to work(start to finish)

Once that is clear, I usually try to use Regions(in Scite) to define the above steps

and, when necessary, I'll comment my code an awful lot (sometimes every line!)

I don't write code everyday (sometimes there are weeks in between) so it helps me to remember the context of my idea(s).

aside from that, these forums have ideas and examples that should keep ya busy for quite awhile....

[u]Do more with pre-existing apps![/u]ANYGUIv2.8

sounds like a neat little script Lx, is it in scripts and scraps?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not as yet -- it's not entirely finished and the code is not sharably well-written just yet.

I'm also working on a utility to save/load a PuTTY session to/from a .ini file -- I hate programs that rely solely on the registry with a passion.