Random Sleep Via RNG?

The idea is that you roll a die. If it comes up with a 6 then you sleep for $RandomSleep. It does not give an error when you run it. So technically the syntax is correct but the logic must be flawed?

Global $Paused

HotKeySet('{0}', 'Quit')

HotKeySet('{\}', 'Pause')

Pause()

While 1

IF Random (1, 6) = 6 then

If Not @error Then

$randomsleep = Random(1000, 6000, 1)

Sleep($randomsleep)

Send("Its Working Rolled a 6") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Else

Send("Its Working Rolled a 1 to 5") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Endif

Endif

WEnd

Func Pause()

$Paused = Not $Paused

While $Paused

Sleep(100)

WEnd

EndFunc ;==>Pause Program

Func Quit()

Exit 0

EndFunc ;==>Quit Program

I do not understand what kind of help you are asking for. Please fill in the following to help us help you.

I am Trying to create a program which achieves _____________________________

Your program is confusing TBH. Try and simplify the logical flow of execution. Also, in future, enclose your code in 'code' tags for readability.

Lastly, use the command ConsoleWrite() to see if something works, not Send().

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Your first test is: "IF Random (1, 6) = 6 then". This should never return an @error so that condition will never happen, which then forces it to always act as though it rolled less than a 6. Try this:

While 1
IF Random (1, 6) = 6 then
    Sleep($randomsleep)
    Send("Its Working Rolled a 6") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Else
Send("Its Working Rolled a 1 to 5") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Endif
WEnd

However, depending on what are are trying to accomplish it still might not work properly for two reasons.

First, you are rerolling Random after rolling a 6. That means your actual sleep time ($randomsleep) will probably be less than 6.

Second, you never enabled the integer flag on initial Random. This means the odds of rolling a 6 is near zero, since the number you roll can be any number (float) between 1 and 2, or any other valid integer given.

To fix both of these it would look more like:

While 1
IF $randomsleep = 6 then
    Sleep($randomsleep)
    ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 6") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Else
ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 1 to 5") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Endif
WEnd

That may or may not be what you are trying to accomplish.

1. Change this: IF Random (1, 6) = 6 then, to this: If Random (1, 6, 1) = 6 Then.

2. Don't call the Pause function, except in the HotKeySet, IOW, don't call it right before the While..WEnd loop, because then the script 'pauses' as soon as it's run..

3. Get rid of the If @error line and it's EndIf.

4. Get rid of the curlies in both the HotKeySet lines.

5. Exit 0 is the same as Exit, as 0 is the default. So, no change is necessary, but..

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

I do not understand what kind of help you are asking for. Please fill in the following to help us help you.

I am Trying to create a program which achieves _____________________________

Your program is confusing TBH. Try and simplify the logical flow of execution. Also, in future, enclose your code in 'code' tags for readability.

Lastly, use the command ConsoleWrite() to see if something works, not Send().

Hey twitchyliquid64

1. Thanks for the ConsoleWrite() tip that is super handy.

2. I am trying to create a program that will sleep for X amount of time given a specific die roll. "Example if you roll a 6 then you take a Random 5-10 Minute Break".

1. Change this: IF Random (1, 6) = 6 then, to this: If Random (1, 6, 1) = 6 Then.

2. Don't call the Pause function, except in the HotKeySet, IOW, don't call it right before the While..WEnd loop, because then the script 'pauses' as soon as it's run..

3. Get rid of the If @error line and it's EndIf.

4. Get rid of the curlies in both the HotKeySet lines.

5. Exit 0 is the same as Exit, as 0 is the default. So, no change is necessary, but..

Thank you somdcomputerguy

I made some modifications based on your suggestions and the script is running! The problem I am running into is that the Sleep duration is very short (almost zero).

Global $Paused
HotKeySet('0', 'Quit')
HotKeySet('', 'Pause')

While 1

If Random (1, 6, 1) = 6 Then
$randomsleep = Random(10000, 60000, 1)
Sleep($randomsleep)
ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 66666666666666666666");This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Else
ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 11111111111111111111");This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards
Endif
WEnd

Func Pause()
$Paused = Not $Paused
While $Paused
Sleep(100)
WEnd
Func Quit()
Exit
EndFunc ;==>Quit Program

Thanks John

I also tried inserting this into my modified code but it seems to give the same output, in that the sleep timer does not seem to be taking affect

While 1

IF $randomsleep = 6 then

Sleep($randomsleep)

ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 6") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Else

ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 1 to 5") ;This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Endif

WEnd

Edited by ithelast

Eureka!

I had to define the variable $randomsleep as a global variable (I think that is the term) then I can just call (I think that is the term also please correct me if I am wrong) it when I want to use it.

Global $Paused

HotKeySet('0', 'Quit')

HotKeySet('', 'Pause')

$randomsleep = Random(60000, 300000, 1) ;This is the guy I needed to declare. It says for the variable $randomsleep = do this. In this case roll a random number between 60000 and 300000. Also the old numbers I was using to test were too large apparently Autoit has a limit for random numbers?

While 1

If Random (1, 50, 1) = 50 Then

;ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 66666666666666666666");This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Sleep($randomsleep)

Else

;ConsoleWrite("Its Working Rolled a 11111111111111111111");This is just to show me that its working and should be deleted or commented out afterwards

Sleep($randomsleep)

Endif

WEnd

Func Pause()

$Paused = Not $Paused

While $Paused

Sleep(100)

WEnd

Func Quit()

Exit

EndFunc ;==>Quit Program

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!

Edited by ithelast