Best practice for ending script - or - Why am I leaving memory hanging?

I have written a script that runs as a scheduled task(batch job) to daily zip up db backups and transaction logs. After the first month I noticed the server memory in use when idle went has gone from 1 GB to 11 GB. A reboot brought the memory back to 1 GB, but after a week we were up to 4 GB. This server is a simple offsite storage device, backups get copied to it by processes on the db server. The only non-OS application running on this server is my zip process.

So here is my question: Is the way I have written my zipping/removal process leaving memory hanging so the OS thinks that memory is still allocated to a running process? And as a follow up - What are the best practices to end a program?

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compile_Both=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=asInvoker
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#region ;Includes, Definitions, etc. ===============================================================
#include <File.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
#include <7Zip.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <Affinity.au3>
#include <EventLog.au3>
#include "RecFileListToArray.au3"
Global $pid
Global $aFolders
Global $runLoop
Global $hEventLog
Dim $aData[4] = [0, 0, 0, 0]
#endregion ;Includes, Definitions, etc. ============================================================
#region ;Opens ==============================================================================
$runLoop = FileExists($CmdLine[1])
If $runLoop = 0 Then
$hEventLog = _EventLog__Open("", "CmdLineZip")
_EventLog__Report($hEventLog, 1, 0, 2, "Administrator", "Folder does not exist: " & $CmdLine[1], $aData)
_EventLog__Close($hEventLog)
EndIf
If ($CmdLine[4] > 0) Then
$pid = _WinAPI_GetCurrentProcessID()
ProcessSetAffinity($pid, $CmdLine[4])
EndIf
;~ _ArrayDisplay($CmdLine)
#endregion ;Opens ===========================================================================
#region ;Main ===============================================================================
While $runLoop = 1
If $CmdLine[3] = "1" Then
$aFileList = _RecFileListToArray($CmdLine[1], $CmdLine[2], 1, 1, 1, 2)
;~ MsgBox(0, "Recursive File Listing ", "Error: " & @error & " - " & " Extended: " & @extended & @CRLF)
Else
$aFileList = _RecFileListToArray($CmdLine[1], $CmdLine[2], 1, 0, 1, 2)
;~ MsgBox(0, "Single Folder File Listing ", "Error: " & @error & " - " & " Extended: " & @extended & @CRLF)
EndIf
If @error = 0 Then
For $j = 1 To $aFileList[0]
$runLoop = _GoZip($aFileList[$j])
If $runLoop < 1 Then ExitLoop
Next
$runLoop = 0
Else
$runLoop = 0
EndIf
WEnd
Exit
#endregion ;Main ============================================================================
#region ; Functions ===========================================================================
;~ _GoZip - Uses 7Zip to compress file --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Func _GoZip($inName)
$vZippedName = $inName & '.7z'
$retResult = _7ZipAdd(0, $vZippedName, $inName, 0, 9)
$hEventLog = _EventLog__Open("", "CmdLineZip")
If $retResult = 0 Then
_EventLog__Report($hEventLog, 1, 0, 2, "Administrator", "Failure Zipping: " & $inName, $aData)
Return 0
Else
$retResult = FileDelete($inName)
If $retResult = 0 Then
_EventLog__Report($hEventLog, 1, 0, 2, "Administrator", "Failure Removing: " & $inName, $aData)
Return 0
Else
_EventLog__Report($hEventLog, 0, 0, 2, "Administrator", "Successful Zip and Removal: " & $inName, $aData)
Return 1
EndIf
EndIf
_EventLog__Close($hEventLog)
EndFunc ;==>_GoZip
#endregion ; Functions ========================================================================

Your _EventLog__Close($hEventLog) in the function _GoZip is never being called, the function returns in the If/Endif above it, so that line isn't ever activated. Might be some of the problem.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewMan is right. The only condition under which the event log gets close is at the top, if no files exist. The _GoZip has a Return for every possible condition so the final _EventLog__Close never gets called.

Your _EventLog__Close($hEventLog) in the function _GoZip is never being called, the function returns in the If/Endif above it, so that line isn't ever activated. Might be some of the problem.

Thank you gentlemen.

I miss having code reviews. Downsizing sucks.