Sign in to follow this  
bgruett

Another 'How To Delete Folders By Age' Question

I know this question has been asked, and has even been answered ( for example), but even after reading through the AutoIT commands and trying to reverse engineer the fantastic script Varian put together, I'm still having trouble, and I was hoping for some help.

Basically, I have a script that runs once an hour, every hour, duplicating a folder into a backup location and stamping it with a date and time stamp. I'm using the simple DirCopy command with some rudimentary macros.

An example of what I'm talking about follows:

DirCopy("[SOURCE DIR]", "[TARGET DIR]\[" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @YEAR & "]-[" & @HOUR & @MIN & " Hours]", 1)

Obviously I've replaced the source and target directories in the above example.

When run, the source folder is copied to a \Backups\ alternate folder, as shown in the following examples:

- ...\Backups\[07-06-2012]-[0000 Hours]

- ...\Backups\[07-06-2012]-[0100 Hours]

- ...\Backups\[07-06-2012]-[0200 Hours]

- ...\Backups\[07-06-2012]-[0300 Hours]

- ...\Backups\[07-06-2012]-[0400 Hours]

This goes on for a 24 hour cycle, reaching 2400 hours, at which point the date rolls over and the whole process starts again.

The obvious problem is that I don't want these backup folders filling up the entire drive. Therefore, I'd like to add functionality to the script to purge any backup folders previously created which are more than a few days old.

Again, I've reviewed the commands in the linked article, and I've done my best to reverse engineer the linked script, but I just can't get it to work. My goal isn't to have an interactive script, but rather to have a script that will run unattended on its own without user intervention. If the script is attended, I might as well just go in and manually purge the old files.

I hate to ask someone else to do my work for me, but I'm at the end of my rope with this particular issue. If anyone can (and is willing) to help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob

Varian's script looks 'feature complete' for what you want with a couple of tweaks here and there. My suggestion read the Help file and post some code if you get stuck. Good luck.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

use file find, use attrib to check for directory, then in the loop something like the following to use for your comparisons.

#include<array.au3>
$sFile='Backups[07-06-2012]-[0000 Hours]'
$aDate=StringRegExp($sFile,'(?:.*)(?:[)([0-9]{2})(?:-)([0-9]{2})-([0-9]{4})]-[([0-9]{4})(?: Hours])',3)
_arraydisplay($aDate)
Edited by DicatoroftheUSA

The major difference between the scripts you're looking at and what you want to do is that the other scripts delete files/directorires based upon one of the system file dates, you want to use a portion of the directory name itself to determine which to delete. If it's not too late, you'd find life easier if you named your files using a YYYY-MM-DD format instead of MM-DD-YYYY. Then your directory names would sort in chronological order and you could use a simple greater-than string compare to choose which ones to delete.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheSaint
      I like and have been using TeraCopy, a third party program, for many years. Mostly it is a great program, but it does have some issues. On Windows XP for instance, Thumbs.db files could often hold up a copy or move process until the user manually responded to the error prompt. Some other issues I discuss below.
      PLEASE NOTE - I am not related to or affiliated in any way with the 3rd party TeraCopy program developers.
      ALSO NOTE - I myself have only tested TeraCopy Cure at this point, on Windows 7 (32 bit), and only with the free version of TeraCopy 2.27.
      This program, TeraCopy Cure, is related to another one of my TeraCopy assistant programs, TeraCopy Timer, but aims at being simpler and quicker to use ... if lacking its more advanced features.
      TeraCopy Cure is a frontend for TeraCopy and sets out to make up for its flaws and limitations.
      One of those flaws is queuing order, and the limitation relates to a same destination issue.
      You would think that queue order would be the same as add order, but that is not the case, and if you are doing a mix of COPY and MOVE then the COPY process could easily fail. It could fail with some source items, even if the  COPY process has already started before the same source MOVE process begins ... especially if the destination folder is on the source drive ... only the currently copying file is locked to that process.
      If you drag and drop another source for a same destination as an existing or impending COPY or MOVE process, then usually TeraCopy nicely adds it for you to that existing job. However, you might wish to avoid that, or it might occur during the testing phase of that active process, and then not be properly processed etc. But you are not given a choice and it just gets added.

HOW TO USE
      See the right-click menu of the 'Batch List' (lowest field) and the right-click menu of the Tree field, for some useful options.
      (1) If desired, enable 'Auto Start'. NOTE - Even if enabled, this can be bypassed.
      (2) Set the destination folder, either by browsing on the tree or by dragging a folder to the Destination input field or label. Right-clicking on a folder in Explorer will also work, if enabled. The destination folder path will also show in the Tree if that right-click option is enabled.
      (3) Then drag & drop source file or folder onto one of three five areas - Folder (Drive) Tree field, or COPY or MOVE buttons ... this now also includes the source input and label.
      NOTE - If the Folder (Drive) Tree field is used, then you will additionally need to click either the COPY or MOVE button, to have that job added to the Batch List ... but this avoids 'Auto Start' if it is enabled. Drag & dropping to the buttons instead, saves on clicking, but starts the first job etc immediately if 'Auto Start' is enabled.
      (4) If needed and ready, click the START button to run the first job and those that follow.
      More information is included in program and in the NOTES etc sections below.

WARNING - Depending on the amount of content on your destination drive, and folder level depth, and the speed of your PC, display of the full path in the Folder (Drive) Tree can take a while to show ... if you have that (right-click) option enabled ... it isn't by default. I found this feature quite tricky to get right, and I'm still not 100% sure it is now full-proof.
      TeraCopy Cure v1.5.zip  (source is included)
      TeraCopy Cure v1.6.zip  (source is included)
      NOTES
      UPDATES INFORMATION
      OLDER DOWNLOADS

• By nacerbaaziz
      it recomended to use the builten function
      _DateDiff

hello autoit team
      i made a simple function to help me get the difference between to date
      i liked to share it with you
      the paramatrs of this function
      is firstdate and lastedate
      the two params is as the following
      year/month/day hours:minuts:seconds
      here is the function

#include <date.au3> func _dateBetween($s_firstDate, $s_lastDate = default) if not (StringRegExp($s_firstDate, "((\d{4})\/(\d{2})\/(\d{2})\s(\d{2})\:(\d{2})\:(\d{2}))", 0) = 1) then Return SetError(1, 0, 0) if $s_lastDate = default then $s_lastDate = @year & "/" & @mon & "/" & @mday & " " & @hour & ":" & @min & ":" & @sec if not (StringRegExp($s_lastDate, "((\d{4})\/(\d{2})\/(\d{2})\s(\d{2})\:(\d{2})\:(\d{2}))", 0) = 1) then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) local $a_FirstSplitDate = StringSplit(StringRegExpReplace($s_firstDate, "((.*)\s(.*))", "$2"), "/", 2) local $a_FirstSplitTime = StringSplit(StringRegExpReplace($s_firstDate, "((.*)\s(.*))", "$3"), ":", 2) local $a_lastSplitDate = StringSplit(StringRegExpReplace($s_lastDate, "((.*)\s(.*))", "$2"), "/", 2) local $a_LastSplitTime = StringSplit(StringRegExpReplace($s_lastDate, "((.*)\s(.*))", "$3"), ":", 2) local $i_firstDateValue = _DateToDayValue($a_FirstSplitDate[0], $a_FirstSplitDate[1], $a_FirstSplitDate[2]) local $i_LastDateValue = _DateToDayValue($a_LastSplitDate[0], $a_LastSplitDate[1], $a_LastSplitDate[2]) if $i_firstDateValue > $i_LastDateValue then Return SetError(3, 0, 0) local $i_totalDays = $i_LastDateValue-$i_firstDateValue if not ($i_totalDays = 0) then if $a_FirstSplitTime[0] <= $a_lastSplitTime[0] then $i_totalDays += 1 $a_lastSplitTime[0] -= $a_FirstSplitTime[0] elseIf $a_FirstSplitTime[0] > $a_lastSplitTime[0] then if $i_totalDays > 0 then $i_totalDays -= 1 $a_FirstSplitTime[0] -= $a_lastSplitTime[0] endIf endIf endIf local $i_totalYears = 0 if $i_totalDays >= 365 then While $i_totalDays >= 365 $i_totalYears += 1 $i_totalDays -= 365 Wend endIf local $i_TotalMonths = 0 if $i_totalDays >= 30 then While $i_totalDays >= 30 $i_totalMonths += 1 $i_totalDays -= 30 Wend endIf local $i_totalWeeks = 0 if $i_totalDays >= 7 then While $i_totalDays >= 7 $i_totalWeeks += 1 $i_totalDays -= 7 Wend endIf $i_totalSeconds = ((($a_FirstSplitTime[0]*60)*60)+($a_FirstSplitTime[1]*60)+($a_FirstSplitTime[2]))-((($a_lastSplitTime[0]*60)*60)+($a_lastSplitTime[1]*60)+($a_LastSplitTime[2])) local $minus = "" if $i_totalSeconds < 0 then $minus = "-" $i_totalSeconds = StringReplace($i_totalSeconds, "-", "") endIf local $i_totalHours = 0 if $i_totalSeconds >= 3600 then While $i_totalSeconds >= 3600 $i_totalHours += 1 $i_totalSeconds -= 3600 Wend endIf local $i_totalminuts = 0 if $i_totalSeconds >= 60 then While $i_totalSeconds >= 60 $i_totalminuts += 1 $i_totalSeconds -= 60 Wend endIf local $a_arrayReturn[7] $a_arrayReturn[0] = $i_totalYears $a_arrayReturn[1] = $i_totalMonths $a_arrayReturn[2] = $i_totalWeeks $a_arrayReturn[3] = $i_totalDays $a_arrayReturn[4] = $minus & $i_totalHours $a_arrayReturn[5] = $minus & $i_totalminuts $a_arrayReturn[6] = $minus & $i_totalSeconds return $a_arrayReturn endFunc  
      here is an example

$a_calc = _dateBetween("2015/02/12 23:00:05", "2030/02/12 23:25:50") msgBox(64, "result", StringFormat("the difference is : %i years and %i months and %i weeks and %i days and %i hours and %i minuts and %i seconds", $a_calc[0], $a_calc[1], $a_calc[2], $a_calc[3], $a_calc[4], $a_calc[5], $a_calc[6]))  
      am waiting for your comments
      with my greetings
    • By Jahar
      Hi All,
      Please help me on how to fetch date/time of last windows 10 system restore point using autoit? Basically its about querying the last restore point.
    • By TheDcoder
      Hi everyone,
      I am bit stumped as to why I am not able to set the time in the Date control
      #include <DateTimeConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Example() Func Example() GUICreate("My GUI get date", 200, 200, 800, 200) Local $idDate = GUICtrlCreateDate("1953/04/25", 10, 10, 185, 20, $DTS_TIMEFORMAT) ; to select a specific default format Local $sStyle = "HH:mm:ss" GUICtrlSendMsg($idDate, $DTM_SETFORMATW, 0, $sStyle) ; Set time Local $iRet = GUICtrlSetData($idDate, '13:33:37') ConsoleWrite('GUICtrlSetData returned ' & ($iRet = 1 ? 'success' : 'failure') & @CRLF) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; Loop until the user exits. While GUIGetMsg() <> $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE WEnd MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Time", GUICtrlRead($idDate)) EndFunc ;==>Example The documentation for GUICtrlSetData clearly mentions that it uses the same format as GUICtrlRead:
      But I get failure
      What gives?
      Thanks for the help in advance!
    • By nacerbaaziz
      goodmorning autoit team
      today am comming with some winhttp problems, i hope that you can help me to solve them.
      the first problem
      is when opening a request
      my forums api allow me to delete any post using the api key
      all functions work, i mean post / get
      but when i tried to use the delete verb it's gave me an html 404 error
      here is what am tried
      #include "WinHttp.au3" ; Open needed handles Global $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen() Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, "xxxxxxxx.com") ; Specify the reguest: Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "Delete", "/vb/Api/posts/10447/?hard_delete=true", default, default) _WinHttpAddRequestHeaders($hRequest, "XF-Api-Key:xxxxx") _WinHttpAddRequestHeaders($hRequest, "XF-Api-User:xxxxx") ; Send request _WinHttpSendRequest($hRequest) ; Wait for the response _WinHttpReceiveResponse($hRequest) Global $sHeader = 0, $sReturned = 0 ; If there is data available... If _WinHttpQueryDataAvailable($hRequest) Then $sHeader = _WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest, $WINHTTP_QUERY_CONTENT_DISPOSITION) ;Or maybe: ; $sHeader = _WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest, BitOR($WINHTTP_QUERY_RAW_HEADERS_CRLF, $WINHTTP_QUERY_CUSTOM), "Content-Disposition") Do $sReturned &= _WinHttpReadData($hRequest) Until @error msgBox(64, "", $sReturned) endIf ; Close handles _WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest) _WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect) _WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)  
      and here is the error message
      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>403 Forbidden</title> </head><body> <h1>Forbidden</h1> <p>You don't have permission to access /vb/Api/posts/10447/ on this server.<br /> </p> </body></html>  
      i hope you can help me 
      thanks in advance