How to launch from start menu by text/id etc, regardless of position

Hey all,

New to AutoIt - but lovin it!

I have a scenario where, in order to simulate the user experience I need to automate clicking start, then the link to launch. I have it working with the recorder, but to make it portable I need to be able to get that item by name or id or something so I do not have to worry about it's position.

I have done some searching and see others trying to do the same thing except that there is an alternate way of launching etc - this won't work for what I am doing, I need to automate Click Start, Click All Programs, Click App Folder, Click SubItem to launch.

Any places you guys can point me or help me out???

Thanks all!!

Enjoy!

-A

This even works Send("{CTRLDOWN}{ESC}{CTRLUP}")

Then to click on the All Programs and all the stuff try to get the classname of the button listview or treeview using the Autoit Window Info Tool and then use

ControlTreeView ControlListView or ControlClick to do the rest of the stuff

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.