New to AutoIt, simple question

Guest Youraputz

Guest Youraputz

Quick Question:

Is it possible to send keys to processes/windows that are not the currently active process?

For example, If want to send keys to my tv-tuner software to change the channel every 10 seconds until i cancel the script, while at the same time being able to surf web pages or use instant messaging software.

Sorry if this is easy or obvious, i checked the FAQ and did some searches but was unable to uncover anything useful. Thanks.

Quick Question:

Is it possible to send keys to processes/windows that are not the currently active process?

For example, If want to send keys to my tv-tuner software to change the channel every 10 seconds until i cancel the script, while at the same time being able to surf web pages or use instant messaging software.

Sorry if this is easy or obvious, i checked the FAQ and did some searches but was unable to uncover anything useful.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out ControlSend in the help file.

ControlSend ( "title", "text", controlID, "string" [, flag] )

Using "" for the ControlID parameter usually sends the command to the window directly.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

Guest Youraputz

Thanks for the tip, i got my program up and running pretty much just the way i wanted using notepad as my test program, and everything worked fine. When i changed the app I want to send to however, it does not work. After some more searching it would seem that ControlSend only applys to standard windows controls.

Does anyone have a way of sending keys (or clicks at a specific x,y) to a non-standard windows app, that does not require focus to be in the target app, and when activated (key or click) it does not change focus from the current window?

Thanks.

• Moderators

...never used it - but read this:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7112

later....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've referred the above quite a bit, and it does work to some extent on some windows.

You could also try Larry's ControlInClick

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5627

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.