[Resolved] - large number of files to install - fileinstall help

Greetings,

I'm reviewing my program and getting it ready for distribution testing and here is the problem I'm running into:

I have a lot of icons I want the user to be able to access and utilize for the purpose of the program.

So the thought of writting nearly 800 lines "fileinstal(whatever)" is a bit...uhm...not so much with the fun.

Seeking options or work arounds since fileinstall needs a string literal location instead of an array or variable which is what i was using up until i RTFM and found out that won't work. :\

First theory:

Zip up the necessary files and write an installer program for it and somehow unzip the files into the right directories.

I don't mind writting installers for my software and have already had to do it for about 5 or 6 programs I've developed so it wouldn't be hard other than I don't know how to forcible unzip a file to a directory through autoit functions.

Second theory:

Zip file included in the main program and write the code directly into the program to unzip the files and such if they aren't available, or if they are - use them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for ideas on mass file distribution with a program.

Edited by xeroTechnologiesLLC

I have seen a few fileinstall helper scripts which writes the code for you given a dir with files in.

But it's quite a simple function to write yourself, don't forget that is where autoit comes into its own

You can knock up a quick script in minutes to help you writing your own major script.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

xeroTechnologiesLLC,

Use the #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Icon_Add directive to add the icons to the resource table and then you can use them directly from the exe itself. ;)

Look at the <Help - SciTE Help - Extra Utilities - AutoIt3Wrapper - Adding Icons to the program resources> for more details. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

if you ask me i whud still write a script to write that part of the script

800 lines are 800 lines after all :P

Edited by bogQ

TCP server and client - Learning about TCP servers and clients connection
Au3 oIrrlicht - Irrlicht project
Au3impact - Another 3D DLL game engine for autoit. (3impact 3Drad related)

460px-Thief-4-temp-banner.jpg
There are those that believe that the perfect heist lies in the preparation.
Some say that it’s all in the timing, seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it’s the ability to leave no trace behind, be a ghost.

• Moderators

bogQ,

You are quite right - I was thinking more of ease of access within the script itself. ;)

But 800 odd icons! :o

I cannot wait to see the result! :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

The icons need to also be accessible to the user in a file directory structure so they can pick the icons they wish to use in their own themes, etc.

I did review the option Melba noted but didnt think that would work with the above caveat.

JohnOne,

Thank you...not sure why I didnt think about that. Mind isnt in it today I guess.

I'll give that a go and post back final results.

Thank you guys for the replies and input. Very grateful of all the time and assistance shared.