UniKeys

LxP

Hi guys,

I had a couple free hours at uni today and pined for the ability to have hotkeys opening my most-often used items. Here's what I came up with.

Nothing revolutionary, but it does build a nice tray menu and in my definitions file I've demonstrated giving Win+C and Win+CC different functionality. Or you just may be interested in how I laid everything out and maybe even have some tips to share?

Now if only I could somehow get my script to run automatically when I log on...!

keys.au3

defs.au3

Edited by LxP

Sounds interesting :whistle:

Now if only I could somehow get my script to run automatically when I log on...!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

.. why not just put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder?

No such thing on the Windows machines at my uni -- everything is read-only except for my home drive and possibly HKEY_CURRENT_USER (and I have a strong feeling that its contents are pre-configured on each login as well).

I'll try setting a Run key tomorrow maybe.

The Spool folder is always writable in order to be able to print. Also probably open are the temp and temporary internet files folders.

HKCU should be accessible as well as some places in HKLM potentially. You could try using an AutoIt script to prod the security settings. I.E. Write to a key, check the error level for success, delete the key. Do this recursively throughout the registry.

If the policy becomes TOO strict, use a USB key :whistle:. They can't set a policy on a drive that doesn't exist! Unless they block USB :-|.

Be scared of something like DeepFreeze though (I do believe it's finally been broken, though?) because it wipes all changes on reboot. On second thought, if they were using DeepFreeze, they wouldn't need the strict security policy...

Why not just use the built-in windows shortcut keys? Right-click on a shortcut link, and there is a field for "Shortcut key"...

Well personally I've always found those built-in shortcuts to be iffy. I guess they only work for shortcuts on your desktop or in the start menu? Even then, they don't work half the time for me. Plus, I think you're limited in what you can hotkey to.

Personally, I created my own program, also with AutoIt, for setting hotkeys. Check out FireKey.

Thanks for your responses!

I'll try setting a Run key tomorrow maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No such luck -- registry changes didn't survive a logoff. I tested with this script, running twice initially to verify that the key was written:

msgBox(64, "Registry Test", "Reading...")
local $in = regRead("HKCU\Software\Alex Peters", "")
if (@error) then
    msgBox(48, "Registry Test", "Error!")
else
    msgBox(64, "Registry Test", "Result: " & $in)
endIf

regWrite("HKCU\Software\Alex Peters", "", "REG_SZ", "123!")
msgBox(64, "Registry Test", "Written.")

Why not just use the built-in windows shortcut keys?  Right-click on a shortcut link, and there is a field for "Shortcut key"...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because I can't create a shortcut in any location where Windows would act upon its hotkey. Oh well -- I'll just have to settle for the oh-so-difficult Start > Run > h:go. :whistle:

Nice one Saunders! I wasn't aware of the @HotkeyPressed macro -- it's not in the macro reference. Edited by LxP

Well I'll be.. it's not either. It's only mentioned in HotKeySet, and even then only briefly. The only reason I even knew about it is cus I was following it's development. Somebody asked for it, Holger provided. Maybe it's lack of more documentation should be Bug Reported? (I hate bug reporting documentation errors, they seem so benign.)

Edited by Saunders