Visual Studio 2012 RC

JohnOne

Has anyone tried the release candidate?

I'm primarily after some info, like will I have to uninstall VS 2010 or can they exist

in parallel?

Does it conform to C++11, and is/will there be any updates for c++11 support for visual studio 2010?

Edited by Valik

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

You've been able to install Visual Studio side-by-side in the past so I don't see them changing that now.

Visual Studio 2010 already has some support for C++11 but it's incomplete, naturally. If VS2010/2012 doesn't have complete support for C++11 I'm sure boost will fill in the gaps.

Also, fixed your thread title. They didn't have C++ in the 11th century.

Edit: I should add, I'm not interested in VS2012 but at the moment I can't recall why. I did see something, though, that turned me off of it but what that was escapes me at the moment.

Edited by Valik

I've never used boost, probably because I've no idea how to use or even add such a thing.

But I'll probably give it a try in the near future.

Is boost.org the official site because I seen a few like boostpro.net and others supplying the downloads.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Probably the all gray color scheme. They changed it back now.

I don't think so.

I've never used boost, probably because I've no idea how to use or even add such a thing.

But I'll probably give it a try in the near future.

Is boost.org the official site because I seen a few like boostpro.net and others supplying the downloads.

Yes, boost.org. It has an installer which I believe sets everything up. However, I'm not sure how much you need boost. I believe your C++ knowledge is very limited and boost is more of an advanced programmer's library providing lots of good interfaces to complex things.

I thought as much, about it being for complicated (for me) things

that's why I'm just sticking to learning win32 API.

The reason I mostly was asking about this, is I read that C++11 have

compiler support for threads, which I interpreted as meaning it can

deal with races and deadlocks and such, without the user having to be

concerned with those sort of things.

I was also looking at OpenMP for VS 2010, and even that looked to much

for me. I think I'll just plod along with CreateThread().

Thanks for your advice.

There are C++ threading libraries out there. Additionally, it's not difficult to write your own wrappers around the synchronization primitives to provide a good C++ interface over top of the Windows API. In fact, writing your own interface is a good way to both learn how to use the object and learn C++.

I just did some checking and it was a combination of 3 things.

• The UI looked horrible in it's mono-chromatic form.
  • All caps menus? Really?
  • It drops support for Windows XP.
The first two have since been corrected. The latter I'm not sure about. We can probably do things we've done in the past to get AutoIt to run on an OS not compatible with our compiler version. That could be tricky, though. It's easy to change the flag in the PE Header to make a binary run but it's a lot harder if all the header files support Vista as a minimum meaning we could very easily statically link against a function not available on Windows XP.

Microsoft really seem determined to commit suicide and design ideas like making a complex UI monochromatic and (especially) making a menu in all caps is just systemic of a larger problem. They need to fire every single UI design they have because every single one of them has lost the plot. Metro is a cluster fuck of a mess where you can't find anything without spending significantly more amounts of time (at least until the muscle memory kicks in). Removing color is asinine, especially in a complex program. Lots of people rely on color to differentiate things so that things can be identified with a glance rather than requiring reading. If you want to make a monochromatic theme and even if you want to make it the default, fine. Do not remove choice, however. Finally, an all caps menus? That just creates text blocks that might as well be Lorem Ipsum. How can they think it's a good design? Did they not even attempt to use it at all and see that it takes significantly more time to process the information?

At least with Visual Studio they listened to some feedback on their horrible design choices. Unfortunately they are continuing ahead with the catastrophe that is Windows 8.

fuck yeah, im a hardcore windows lover, but windows 8 is going to be the first windows i wont be upgrading too...

all these years of perfecting the UI in windows, and now they trow it all away? those guys are on some serious shrooms mate :P

and proud of it!!!

Perhaps someone built an LSD factory next to Microsoft HQ, I believe they created

a bit of a farce with migrating hotmail accounts to outlook.com too.

I hope they come to their senses though, I really like visual studio 2010, and when you

like a product, it usually follows that you will look forward to new releases of it, which

I certainly do.

If I had to guess, I'd say someone high up the MS big wig ladder believes they have

enough of the market to dictate how users will work, rather than tailor their product

to suit its users.