Quotes in quotes

How i can insert quotes in quotes, like here :

#include <IE.au3>
Local $vboxcode = InputBox("Vbox7 downloader", "Enter vbox7 code.", "", " ")
Local $oIE = _IECreate ($vboxcode, 0, 0, 1, 0)
Local $sHTML = _IEBodyReadHTML($oIE)
Local $sExtract2 = StringRegExpReplace($sHTML, ".*<span class="title">.*</span>", "$1")
MsgBox(4096, "Test", $sExtract2, 1)

• Moderators

horne,

From the Help file:

Strings

Strings are enclosed in double-quotes like "this". If you want a string to actually contain a double-quote use it twice like:

"here is a ""double-quote"" - ok?"

You can also use single-quotes like 'this' and 'here is a ' 'single-quote' ' - ok?'

You can mix quote types to make for easier working and to avoid having to double-up your quotes to get what you want. For example if you want to use a lot of double-quotes in your strings then you should use single-quotes for declaring them:

'This "sentence" contains "lots" of "double-quotes" does it not?'

is much simpler than:

"This ""sentence"" contains ""lots"" of ""double-quotes"" does it not?"

All clear? :)

M23

Edit: 12k! :o

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 1 month later...

How should I write two sets of double quotes in a string?

For example, I want to pass the following to the command line:

"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""

With previous versions of AutoIt, I'm pretty sure the following would work:

RunWait('"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""""')

But now, when adding the "Command Line" column to Task Manager, I can see all four double-quotes passed at the end of the line. Is a double-quote no longer the escape character for a double-quote?

the answer is in the post right above yours :/

You can mix quote types to make for easier working and to avoid having to double-up your quotes to get what you want. For example if you want to use a lot of double-quotes in your strings then you should use single-quotes for declaring them:

'This "sentence" contains "lots" of "double-quotes" does it not?'

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

I've adopted the standard practice of using single quotes as it makes life easier when using double quotes. Also it's best to start a new topic and not resurrect an old one. Well then again reading the help file would've have been a better option of the two.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Maybe I wasn't clear. I want to pass a *pair* of double quotes to the command line without the first double quote escaping the second. In my example code I used single quotes to enclose the entire string.

Here is my desired string. See the pair of double quotes at the end?

"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""

If I simply surround the string with single quotes, the last double quote is stripped off.

This doesn't work:

RunWait('"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""')

This used to work, but not with the latest version of AutoIt:

RunWait('"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""""')

So I'd like to know what is the 'proper' method of passing consequtive double quotes? I can't find anything in the documentation about it.

Ugh. It looks like double quotes no longer escape double quotes when enclosed in single quotes. I should have tried that.

It looks like this was a bug in SciTE (the obfuscator), not AutoIt, and I must have only read the changelog for AutoIt.

"Fixed bug with 2 double Quotes withing a doublequoted string"

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/history.htm

This also affects 2 double quotes withing a single quoted string, and it's definitely a code breaker.

That bug fix was for Obfuscator, it has nothing to do with AutoIt's functionality.

Here's the result of that string above when run through a consolewrite

ConsoleWrite('"%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""' & @CRLF)
; This is the result of the above, copied directly from your script
; "%Temp%VirusScanSetupVSE.Exe" /qb PRESERVESETTINGS=""

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator