Understanding Arrays

The wiki has a very good tutorial describing how arrays work.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

tes5884,

I recommend the Arrays tutorial in the Wiki. Please post again if you still have questions. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

x axis VS x + y axis VS x + y + z axis

Remember in geometry when you had to calculate distances in a 3 dimensional object? you had your x,y, and z axis. Same idea.

x = rows

y = columns

z = depth

Local $array[1] ; single dimension array with 1 element

Local $2D[1][2] ; two dimensional array with 2 indexes and 1 element in each index.
; i.e. $2D[0][0], $2D[0][1]

Local $3D[1][2][2] ; three dimensional array with 2 planes, 2 indexes on each plane, and 1 elements in each index
; i.e. $3D[0][0][0], $3D[0][1][0], $3D[0][0][1],  $3D[0][1][1]
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Looking at it one way, the number of dimensions is almost meaningless.

It's just another way of labelling the same variables or "mailboxes" that you're creating.

$aArray[24] is the same thing as $aArray[3][8] (3 x 8 = 24) which is the same thing as $aArray[3][2][4] (3 x 2 x 4 = 24).

They are all just a table of 24 variables.

If your 3-story apartment building has 24 units and you just want to store all the apartment numbers then use $aArray[24] (apt#).

If you want to organize them by floor you could create the same 24 boxes but reference them as $aArray[3][8] (floor/apt#)

If you had a reason to keep the apartments on the north side of the building separate from those on the south side, then you could setup your 24 mailboxes as $aArray[3][2][4] (floor/north-south/apt#)

When you reference the 17th element of the 1-dimension array; $aArray[17], it is the same thing internally as referencing element $aArray[2][0][1] of the 3-dimension array (2 x 8 + 0 x 4 + 1 x 1 = 17)

Hope I haven't made things worse ;)

Edit: You could simulate any number of dimensions using a 1-dimension array and a few lines of code. This is, at least conceptually, the same thing that goes on internally when you decide to split your array into different dimensions:

Global $aApartments[24] = ["1A","1B","1C","1D","1E","1F","1G","1H","2A","2B","2C","2D","2E","2F","2G","2H","3A","3B","3C","3D","3E","3F","3G","3H"]

MsgBox(0, "1-Dimension", Dimension_Simulator("24", "17")) ; get element [17] of $aArray[24]
MsgBox(0, "2-Dimension", Dimension_Simulator("3*8", "2|1")) ; get element [2][1] of $aArray[3][8]
MsgBox(0, "3-Dimension", Dimension_Simulator("3*2*4", "2|0|1")) ; get element [2][0][1] of $aArray[3][2][4]

Func Dimension_Simulator($structure, $element)
    Local $aStructure = StringSplit($structure, "*")
    Local $iSize = Execute($structure) ; total elements

Local $aElement = StringSplit($element, "|")
    Local $iTarget
    For $x = 1 to $aElement[0] ; calculate element offset
        $iTarget += $aElement[$x] * ($iSize / $aStructure[$x])
     $iSize /= $aStructure[$x]
    Next
    Return $aApartments[$iTarget]
EndFunc
Edited by Spiff59

Question; if I have a variable

toast = $var[2][2]

Does that mean I can have values like the following;

$var[0][0]

$var[0][1]

$var[0][2]

$var[1][0]

$var[1][1]

$var[1][2]

$var[2][0]

$var[2][1]

$var[2][2]

or am I missing something?

Thanks!!!

Edited by tes5884

Your list of array elements is correct.

Array elements always start with an index of 0. If you have an $array[7] the index goes from 0 to 6 (or "UBound($array, 1) - 1)".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Your list of array elements is correct.

Array elements always start with an index of 0. If you have an $array[7] the index goes from 0 to 6 (or "UBound($array, 1) - 1)".

Does index 0 hold a comparable value to any other number?

In other words, does the first index (0), point to an element just like any other index ? or is it any different.

Depends on how the array was created. It's often referred to as "zero-based" or "one-based". Means the data starts in row 0 or row 1. If it starts in row 1 then row 0 contains the number of rows.

If it is a two dimensional array then $array[0][0] contains the number of rows and $array[0][1] contains the number of columns.

Check function StringSplit as an example. You can decide if the function returns a zero- or one-based array.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's just like any other index.

Many functions that return an array (_FileListToArray()) use the 0 index to hold specific information. In the case of _FileListToArray(), the 0 index holds the total file/folder count. For these functions you can iterate over them as follows:

For $i = 1 To $array[0]
    msgbox(0,"",$array[$i])
Next

For 0-based arrays, you can iterate over them as:

For $element in $array
    msgbox(0,"",$element)
Next
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”