Help running a command from cmd.exe

Hi,

So i've been using autoit at work for automation of installs - picking things up as I go.

Ive had a look for an answer on the forums but so far havet found what I was after.

Currently im making a script that will restart the window update service on some of our clients machines.

I have the command i need to run, which disables the service;

reg add 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update' /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

However I cant seem to get it to run using autoit.

I have;

RunWait(@ComSpec & "/c reg add 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update' /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f","", @SW_HIDE)

Could anyone shed some light on what I might be overlooking?

Much appreciated

Regwrite.. thats a much better idea! :)

So I have changed the code to this;

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateAuto Update", "AUOptions", "REG_DWORD", "1")

However when I check the registry in regedit, it doesnt seem to have changed the value, in this case from '4' (allow automatic updates) to '1' (disabled)

Im able to create new reg keys - do i need to delete the existing one before writing a new one?

If you'r running Vista+, then yes. Take a look at the help-file section "AutoIt on Windows Vista".

To write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE you have to run the script as admin, either add

#requireadmin

or

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator

to your script.

Thanks for the heads up KaFu - I have tried with both, and still cant seem to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

When I add #requireadmin I do get a UAC prompt, but still no changes are made in the registry.

Apologies for the noobishness - its early days! Will keep plugging away.

Incidentally cant seem to find this help file section... :huh2: