Sending simple commands between scripts over internet?

Greetings!

I've been toying around with a project for my boss.... Basically he saw this from a customer/friend's blog post: http://blog.vmfarms.com/2011/10/how-we-solved-remote-employee-problem.html and tasked me with building this (lucky me). He supplied the wood frame, and the arduino, and same "here, it's easy!"

I'm not good with TCP/IP and Python in windows, so I've fallen back on my favorite windows language, autoit, to make a simle solution for my boss. I've got an arduino board connected via a serial connection (CommMG.au) working with an AutoIt Script to accept keyboard input for left/right control over a servo which rotates the laptop, but I can't figure out a way to communicate over the internet with an autoit script.

Currently I'm thinking if I can access an instant messanging UDF, I could possibly open a chat session between two auto it scripts (one running on the arduino controlled platform, and the other running on a host machine, with an open skype session). Once I have the session open, I could setup a script on the client machine to send a message via the chat session telling the other script what to do.

Has this ever been done? am I over-complicating things?

I've seen an IRC udf which permitted the sending of messages to a channel, which could be an option, but I didn't see a way to read messages from a channel, If I had that, I could solve my problem pretty easily

Did you check Example.au3 ,

It got something on received messages.

I did stumble across it, but didn't realize what I was looking at. I thought the IRC udf could jonly oin and transmit information for some reason.

Thanks! That'll make my life 10 times easier!

I was afraid someone would suggest email protocols, that would work for some situations, but the time to transmit the email and receive it would be too slow for this application.

Edited by cassetti