Difference between send and controlsend?

xuzo

I want to make sure I have this right.

Send is good for let's say you want to type "Hello World" into notepad, because it mimics someone typing?

ControlSend should be used for menus, and commands like copy (Ctrl+C) and keys?:

File > Save As

What is better to copy a line of text?

Send("{CTRLDOWN}c{CTRLUP}")

or

ControlSend("{CTRLDOWN}c{CTRLUP}")

Just making sure I understand the best Sends to use! ;)

• Moderators

Typically, you would always favor the control commands (including ControlSend) over Send. As Shane0000 mentions, with the Control commands you specify the window you want to interact with, making them much more stable than Send.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Note that ControlSend() can be used to interact with controls that are hidden or that doesn't have focus as well. This, however, is a case by case basis, as there are some applications that require the window to be active in order to interact with the controls.

Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”