[Solved ] guictrlsendtodummy problem

Hi,

I am trying to use guictrlsendtodummy with parm #2 being a variable that contains a url. guictrlsendtodummy is returning an error. guictrlsendtodummy is being invoked from an adlib routine. I've tried it both with and without parm #2 (value passed back to the dummy ctrl). The following is the code:

; *** Start added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#include <Constants.au3>
; *** End added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#include<date.au3>
#include<ie.au3>
#include<array.au3>
#NoTrayIcon
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n
Opt("TrayMenuMode", 1)
adlibregister("monitor_web_traffic",3000)
; create tray
Local $dl0010    =  TrayCreateItem("Auto Download")
      trayitemsetstate($dl0010,65)
      TrayCreateItem("")
Local $exititem  =  TrayCreateItem("Exit")
      TraySetState()
; create main gui
local $main010   = guicreate("")
global $dummyctrl = guictrlcreatedummy()
      guisetstate(@SW_HIDE)
local $traymsg, $main010msg
While 1
 $traymsg  = TrayGetMsg()
 $main010msg = guiGetMsg()
 Select
  Case $traymsg = 0
   ContinueLoop
  Case $traymsg = $exititem
   _exit()
  case $traymsg = $dl0010
   if trayitemgetstate($dl0010) = 68 Then
    consolewrite("Turning auto download off" & @lf)
    AdlibUnRegister("monitor_web_traffic")
   Else
    consolewrite("Turning auto download on" & @lf)
   endif
  case $main010msg = $dummyctrl
   consolewrite("dummy ctrl value at case stmt = " & guictrlread($dummyctrl) & @lf)
   _process_download_file(guictrlread($dummyctrl))
 EndSelect
Wend
func _process_download_file($fl)
 consolewrite("Processing file = " & $fl & @lf)
endfunc
func monitor_web_traffic()
 Local $i = 1, $yt, $yl
 While 1
  $oIE = _IEAttach("", "instance", $i)
  If @error = $_IEStatus_NoMatch Then exitloop
  $yt =  _IEPropertyGet($oIE, "title")
  $yl =  _IEPropertyGet($oIE, "locationurl")
  if stringinstr($yl,"[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v[/url]=") > 0 then
   consolewrite("Detected dl candidate = " & $yl & @lf)
   if guictrlsendtodummy($dummyctrl,$yl) = 0 then msgbox(0,"error at send to dummy","")
  endif
  $i += 1
 WEnd
endfunc
Func _exit()
 Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_exit

Also, am I handling the message loop correctly for messages from both a gui and the tray?

Thanks,

kylomas

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Moderators

kylomas,

Your loop looks fine to me as regards dealing with TrayGetMsg and GUIGetMsg events. :)

Are you getting the correct URL written in the console when the dummy is fired? I ask because your StringInStr line as written is not syntactially correct - you have too many "double-quote" characters - so you might not be getting what you think you should have being passed to the dummy control. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

M23,

Yes, I am getting console output for the correct url. The forum is reformatting urls for some reason.

kylomas

Edit: additiional info

M23, no I am getting no output because the dummy control is NOT being actioned. I am getting an error in the guictrlsendtodummy statement.

kylomas

Edited by kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Moderators

kylomas,

And the "ConsoleWrite("Detected dl candidate = " & $yl & @LF)" line also returns the correct URL which you are trying to send to the dummy? :huh:

I have never had a problem with the GUICtrlSendToDummy function - I wonder why you do. :wacko:

Can you please run this and see if it works for you: :)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$cDummy = GUICtrlCreateDummy()

GUISetState()

AdlibRegister("_DummySend", 2000)

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cDummy
            ConsoleWrite("Received = " & GUICtrlRead($cDummy) & @CRLF)
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _DummySend()
    $iSec = "http://url/" & @SEC & "/watch"
    ConsoleWrite("Sent     = " & $iSec & @CRLF)
    GUICtrlSendToDummy($cDummy, $iSec)
EndFunc

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I ran the code from the OP and could not get the GUICtrlSendToDummy function to work in the script, even though it seems to be written ok. I even took the example script from the help file and inserted one of the URLs I got from this script into that code and it worked ok. It's just not working in this script and I can't see why.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

M23,

First, apologies for my confused first response.

I am getting correct console output from the adlib function

Your code is actioning the dummy control, however, the begining of the string is being overwritten with a "0", e.h "http" turns into "0ttp". The counter is being incremented correctly.

Thanks,

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

The script is supposed to end when you click the button, if you look at the OnEvent function called from the button and the dummy control you'll see that the button sends to the dummy control, and the dummy control exits the script.

I ran your script again and found that the GUICtrlSendToDummy isn't working if the GUI is hidden, when I changed the GUISetState from GUISetState(@SW_HIDE) to GUISetState(), it worked every time. I don't use the dummy control, but perhaps it doesn't like it when the GUI is hidden, no idea for sure though.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

GUICtrlSendToDummy isn't working if the GUI is hidden

Excellent detective work - same result here. :thumbsup:

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

kylomas,

You can send a string to an input while the GUI is hidden - perhaps that will do the trick for you:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$cDummy = GUICtrlCreateDummy()

$cInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 200, 20)

GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)

AdlibRegister("_DummySend", 2000)

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cDummy
            ConsoleWrite("Received Dummy= " & GUICtrlRead($cDummy) & @CRLF)
    EndSwitch

If StringLen(GUICtrlRead($cInput)) > 0 Then
        ConsoleWrite("Received Input  = " & GUICtrlRead($cInput) & @CRLF)
        GUICtrlSetData($cInput, "")
    EndIf

WEnd

Func _DummySend()

$iSec = "fred"
    ConsoleWrite("Sent            = " & $iSec & @CRLF)
    GUICtrlSendToDummy($cInput, $iSec)
    GUICtrlSetData($cInput, $iSec)

EndFunc

Any help? :)

M23

P.S. I will enquire about the dummy problem for you. ;)

Spoiler

M23,

Thanks, let me play with your solution. My OP is still not working despite changing the gui to show. I am sure that I am doing something idiotic that I do not see. I think that I will go with your last example.

@BrewmanNH - thanks for your input and good catch! The code that makes no sense to me is the example code from guictrlcreatedummy. The code from guictrlsendtodummy I understand.

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

OHHHHHH I almost forgot another thing. The reason the original post isn't working even with the GUI visible is because you need to move the Case $main010msg = $dummyctrl section to before you try to read from the TrayMenu sections, you have a case that if the TrayMsg is 0 to continue the loop, which skips over the Dummy control message section, because unless the tray items are being actioned, the return is always 0.

• Moderators

kylomas,

That was the idea - you cannot use GUICtrlSendToDummy witha hidden GUI - but you can use GUICtrlSetData on an input which gives you the same result. ;)

BrewManNH,

<self/facepalm> How did I miss that! :>

Or you could remove the following lines:

Case $traymsg = 0
   ContinueLoop

But as the snippet I posted showed, you really cannot use GUICtrlSendToDummywith a hidden GUI - unless I am missing something else. :wacko:

M23

Spoiler

M23,

I ran your last example with the guictrlsendtodummy commented out and received exactly the same results. The dummy control does not appear to be actioned. What am I missing?

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Moderators

kylomas,

I ran your last example with the guictrlsendtodummy commented out [...] The dummy control does not appear to be actioned

Well that is not really a surprise, is it! :D

You are missing nothing - we all appear to agree that a dummy control does not get actioned when the GUI is hidden. I have asked the Devs to take a look. :)

But you can use an input as I showed. Does that help you progress with your script in the near term? :huh:

M23

Spoiler

M23, BrewmanNH,

I got it to mimic actioning a dummy ocntrol using M23's input solution. This code works and I can continue developement.

; *** Start added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#include <Constants.au3>
; *** End added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#include<date.au3>
#include<ie.au3>
#include<array.au3>

#NoTrayIcon

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 1)

; create tray

Local $dl0010       =   TrayCreateItem("Auto Download")
                        trayitemsetstate($dl0010,65)
                        TrayCreateItem("")
Local $exititem     =   TrayCreateItem("Exit")
                        TraySetState()

; create main gui

local $main010      =   guicreate("",500,500)
local $inpt010      =   guictrlcreateinput("", 01, 10, 200, 20)
                        guisetstate(@sw_hide)

local $traymsg, $main010msg

While 1

$traymsg    = TrayGetMsg()
    $main010msg = guiGetMsg()

Select
        Case $traymsg = $exititem
            _exit()
        case $traymsg = $dl0010
            if trayitemgetstate($dl0010) = 68 Then
                consolewrite("Turning auto download off" & @lf)
                AdlibUnRegister("monitor_web_traffic")
            Else
                consolewrite("Turning auto download on" & @lf)
            endif
    EndSelect

If StringLen(GUICtrlRead($inpt010)) > 0 Then
        ConsoleWrite("Received Input  = " & GUICtrlRead($inpt010) & @CRLF)
        _process_download_file(guictrlread($inpt010))
        GUICtrlSetData($inpt010, "")
    EndIf

Wend

func _process_download_file($fl)

consolewrite("Processing file = " & $fl & @lf)

endfunc

func monitor_web_traffic()

Local $i = 1, $yt, $yl, $ret
    While 1
        $oIE = _IEAttach("", "instance", $i)
        If @error = $_IEStatus_NoMatch Then exitloop
        $yt =  _IEPropertyGet($oIE, "title")
        $yl =  _IEPropertyGet($oIE, "locationurl")
        if stringinstr($yl,"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=") > 0 then
            consolewrite("Detected dl candidate = " & $yl & @lf)
            guictrlsetdata($inpt010,$yl)
        endif
        $i += 1
    WEnd

endfunc

Func _exit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_exit

Again, thanks

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill