Set SciTE user home

What I do is keep SciTEUser.properties in SciTE's directory and add

import SciTEUser

to the end of the Global options file. Unfortunately you still have to deal with the session file. And from your writing I can't be sure if you don't want to change USERPROFILE particularly or any env. var at all, but in the first case, you can set SciTE_Home instead (ignore me if you knew that already).

Edited by danielkza

SciTE_Home doesn't change the user directory. It changes the base directory.

I'd be Ok with changing USERPROFILE in a batch/script before launching SciTE because I know it won't be permanently saved that way but I don't like the fact that I should have to rather than it being reconfigurable or put in AppData where it belongs in the first place.

Wait, so you'll modify USERPROFILE in a batch script but you won't change SciTE_Home which is the variable that controls where the file goes in the first place? I get the feeling you don't actually know what SciTE_Home does. If you want your SciTEUser.properties and session files to go in %APPDATA%SciTE then set SciTE_Home to %APPDATA%SciTE either in a batch script or a user-defined environment variable. Then you're done.

I read somewhere that SciTE_Home also moves the global properties file location essentially forcing them to the same folder.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html

If the "SciTE_HOME" environment variable is set on either Windows or GTK+ then it is where both the global and user properties files are found.

I did research and knew about the SciTE_Home variable before asking here.

Edited by Richard Robertson

A little clarification for those of us less techy please. Is the environment variable that which is accessible from My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced? If so then I don't see any SciTE specific variables. Is this something that would have to be created?

Yes, you'd have to create it. I use the AutoIt3 portable script in Example Scripts which sets this automatically, and then runs SciTE, and then as soon as the program exits, the environment variable gets destroyed.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

A little clarification for those of us less techy please. Is the environment variable that which is accessible from My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced? If so then I don't see any SciTE specific variables. Is this something that would have to be created?

Programs usually just check for the existence and the value of an environment variable without creating it, much less saving it to your personal, permanent environment (which is the one you can edit from the Control Panel). Which means you need to know in advance which variables which program tries to use.

It makes multiple user accounts annoying to use because either everything is global or everything is user.

What exactly do you want to be Global and per-User?

Edited by danielkza