Stock resources in a single DAT file

Hi guys,

I have an interesting question, which can solve many problems, especially with FileInstall or with the management of multi-resource files

The the idea came to me after seeing the portable version of Ccleaner, it has only the .exe, a file .dat with the resource and external folder with the .dll for the languages ( a good choice, because you can delete and make the software takes up less space )

Now, surfing on the web i don't have found many article on this, only one:

http://www.sfml-dev.org/wiki/en/tutorials/formatdat

and the original version:

http://archive.gamedev.net/archive/reference/articles/article1991.html

It's Arabic for me, but i'm sure there are people can understand

So, how i'd like to make is

1) Create a .dat file with example a image/txt/exe in itself ( i don't have find external software for do this, i don't know if exist )

2) Make an Autoit script/exe that reads the files in the .dat ( like open a txt, or simply use an image for the GUI etc )

I can't make this by myself so i'll wait for someone more expert than me.

Thanks for your time,

John

Edited by johnmcloud

It's not the same, that UDF it's used for embed binary data into the exe and has some limitation, i think it's better to convert the C++ script into autoit and make a separate file for the resource, without any limitation, however it's my opinion

Edited by johnmcloud

Have a look to by Yashied which has a similiar idea but with some more features!

Btw, why don't you try to convert the code from the link you've posted?

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Btw, why don't you try to convert the code from the link you've posted?

Thanks UEZ for suggestion but it's out of my knowledge, i have try to understand that script with no result, i know only autoit. Hope someone can help me to convert that script.

Anyway, i'll try that UDF but i'd like to see that code in action.

Edited by johnmcloud

It's not the same...everyone can open a zip, if you want to open a file inside it extract in a temp folder, you need external sofware for have the full range of option ect.., the .dat insted can't easy open because you need to know the structure, you can directly open-write a file inside it etc...many software/games use a data container for the resource, i think is the best option.

It's not the same...everyone can open a zip, if you want to open a file inside it extract in a temp folder, you need external sofware for have the full range of option ect.., the .dat insted can't easy open because you need to know the structure, you can directly open-write a file inside it etc...many software/games use a data container for the resource, i think is the best option.

That is all very true, but it also true of any .dat file you might muster.

The extention of the file means nothing. Its either simple or complicated. Take your pick.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.