Update the Excel UDF that comes with AutoIt

water

I posted some code that gets the formula in a cell, rather than what is displayed. Example the cell formula is "=sum(A1:a5)", displayed 10, it will get the "=sum(A1:a5)" instead of the 10.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I have change a bit here and there in the Excel UDF myself. Have a few requests..

• Additional possibilities in the font parameters. Right now can only change bold, italic, underline. Perhaps something else than a (long) parameter list is better, different functions ? Not sure.. Font .name and .size at least
  • Set shading and coloring of cells
  • Control of borders on range / cell, both linestyle, width and color
  • Control of print area (mark area for printout)
  • Run macro on excel side (execute VBA).
Some examples:

With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThin
    End With

With Selection.Font
        .Name = "Calibri"
        .Size = 14
        .Strikethrough = False
        .Superscript = False
        .Subscript = False
        .OutlineFont = False
        .Shadow = False
        .Underline = xlUnderlineStyleNone
        .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorLight1
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .ThemeFont = xlThemeFontMinor
    End With

With Selection.Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .ThemeColor = xlThemeColorLight2
        .TintAndShade = 0.399975585192419
        .PatternTintAndShade = 0
    End With

With Selection

.HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
        .VerticalAlignment = xlBottom
        .WrapText = False
        .Orientation = 0
        .AddIndent = False
        .IndentLevel = 0
        .ShrinkToFit = False
        .ReadingOrder = xlContext
        .MergeCells = False
    End With

With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft)
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
        .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .TintAndShade = 0
        .Weight = xlThin
    End With

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

Thanks a lot for your post!

The Excel UDF will always just contain basic functions. A function in the UDF has to do some processing because otherwise the function could be replaced by simply calling a method or accessing a property.

Therefore there will be no function to run a macro (we removed the macro function from the Word UDF).

You use

$oExcel.Run(macroname, parameter1, ....)

Maybe there wil be a function to work with ranges. The result can then be passed to other functions. Will have to think about.

For the Enumeration part there might be an even simpler solution. Don't have more info at the moment.

I will certainly read the blog, looks quite interesting.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'd posted #2199 in BugTracker a while back, but in last-minute clean-up I'd truncated the SetError() statements down to a single parameter, i.e: SetError(1) instead of SetError(1,0,0). That earned the ticket a thumbs-down. Even though it was suggested I correct and reactivate the ticket, I never did.

Anyway, _ExcelSheetAddNew() causes AutoIt to crash if you specify a workbook name that already exists. When that happens, it also causes Excel to create a new and unwanted generically-named worksheet such as "Sheet1", "Sheet2", etc.

I've been using the following version for a long time successfully. It adds an "@error = 2 " return, and avoids both the crash and the creation of a misnamed worksheet.

;                |@error=2   - Specified sheet already exists

Func _ExcelSheetAddNew($oExcel, $sName = "")
    If Not IsObj($oExcel) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    If $sName Then
        For $_ws In $oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
            If $_ws.Name = $sName Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
        Next
    EndIf
    $oExcel.ActiveWorkBook.WorkSheets.Add().Activate()
    If $sName Then $oExcel.ActiveSheet.Name = $sName
    Return 1
EndFunc ;==>_ExcelSheetAddNew
Edited by Spiff59

I've also had an issue with _ExcelBookOpen() in that if you call it to open a workbook in write-mode ($fReadOnly = False) and the file is already open by another user, _ExcelBookOpen() still returns no error, and returns an object to a read-only copy of the spreadsheet. You have no way of knowing if you can proceed with updates. I've been using the following for a couple years, that inserts a FileOpen/FileClose test, and returns a new @error=3 condition if the file is in use. The test is only performed when $fReadOnly = False. Maybe there is a better way to go about it? Regardless, when you request write access to a spreadsheet, _ExcelBookOpen() should tell you whether or not it has been granted.

Func _ExcelBookOpen2($sFilePath, $fVisible = True, $fReadOnly = False, $sPassword = "", $sWritePassword = "")
    If Not FileExists($sFilePath) Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    $fVisible = ($fVisible > 0)
    $fReadOnly = ($fReadOnly > 0)
    If Not $fReadOnly Then ; first check for open file - prior to launching Excel
        If FileOpen($sFilePath, 1) = -1 Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
        FileClose($sFilePath)
    EndIf
    Local $oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application")
    If Not IsObj($oExcel) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    With $oExcel
        .Visible = $fVisible
        .WorkBooks.Open($sFilePath, Default, $fReadOnly, Default, $sPassword, $sWritePassword)
        If (Not $fReadOnly) And .ActiveWorkBook.Readonly Then ; second check for open file - after launching Excel
            $oExcel.Quit
            $oExcel = ""
            Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
        EndIf
;      Select the first *visible* worksheet.
        For $i = 1 To .ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count
            If .ActiveWorkbook.Sheets($i).Visible = -1 Then ; $xlSheetVisible
                .ActiveWorkbook.Sheets($i).Select()
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Next
    EndWith
    Return $oExcel
EndFunc ;==>_ExcelBookOpen

Edit: regarding "Maybe there is a better way to go about it?". The FileOpen()/FileClose() test is much faster than actually launching an instance of Excel, but has the miniscule potential of finding a file closed, and then by the time Excel is launched, someone had opened it and you'll again be working with a read-only object and not know it. Maybe a second test should be added, testing the $fReadOnly flag, that would return the same @error=3 condition (as well as closing the instance of Excel) if the spreadsheet is not open in write-mode? I've yet to encounter that situation, where someone opened a file in the instance between the FileOpen() test and launching Excel, but it is remotely possible.

Edit2: I updated the code with 2 tests to check if the file was returned in a read-only state. The second test would be the more reliable. The only reason to keep the first test would be that the FileOpen()/FileClose() method is much faster than launching Excel and opening the workbook. But, the frequency that one will request a file in write-mode and find it already open is probably low enough that we could just delete the initial FileOpen()/FileClose() test?

Edited by Spiff59

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I will test them as soon as I'm back from vacation (end of september).

In the the cold and dark season I will have plenty of time to play with the UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Anything special you want to see in the Excel UDF?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water

I just started using Autoit recently and wished I found your UDF before creating much of my own interface to EXCEL.

Project:

I am creating GUI that runs a Document Marquee that roates various Documents , i.e Word, PDF, Excel on a large display.

There is one Excel document that is a maintenance log that is READ Only

Request:

I have an issue in which I can give focus to focus to the READ ONLY Excel Workbook.

Is there a plan in your next UDF ( or does anyone know how ) to be able to Activate ( give focus to) a particular Read Only workbook without getting a "Invalid Index"

I apologize for the indirect addressing , I created an editable array for management to change documents in the Marquee.

Code:

$logtxt = $Title[$Row][$Col] & " Attempt Active"

Call("WritetoLog", $logtxt)

$oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application") ; Create initial Excel Object

$oExcel.WorkBooks($Title[$Row][$Col]).Activate() ; Activate open workbook

I use a Log system to a txt file to trap my errors instead of Popups

09/13/2012 08:52:37 maintenance crossover.xlsx [Read-Only] Attempt Active

09/13/2012 08:52:37 COM Error Hex Number is: 80020009

09/13/2012 08:52:37 COM Error Description is: Invalid index.

Note: The READ-ONLY file will open but I can not switch to it via Activate()

If I don't make maintenance crossover a Read-Only Activate() works just fine.

Use the Excel UDF that comes with AutoIt. Function _ExcelSheetActivate activates the desired sheet and returns an error if the sheet number is invalid (doesn't crash).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 2 weeks later...

Water

Thank you for the response.

I didn't want to take the time to replace all my code so I examined the Excel UDF , extracted what I needed and came up with.

$oExcel.WorkBooks($Title[$Row][$Col]).Sheets($Tab[$Row][$Col]).Select()

I still get Invalid Index Errors on Read Only when attempting to Select a read only worksheet.

09/27/2012 13:57:49 WorkBook maintenance crossover.xlsx [Read-Only] Tab maint log Attempt

09/27/2012 13:57:49 COM Error Hex Number is: 80020009

09/27/2012 13:57:49 COM Error Description is: Invalid index.

Any thoughts on what may be causing it?

A thought has occurred to me while writing this plea.

I made the Document Marquee yo be a scripted based GUI that can an launch a particular document, loop through all documents or configure a GUI button to document.. The launch of document was coded to act as a single loop, i.e. the document opened and was then activated. The act of activating the last open document is redundant but should not cause any errors

The document opens with no error but if I activate a read only EXCEL document I get an error.

RamadSula,

could you please do me a favour and open a new thread on the subject?

This thread is to discuss functionality of the existing Excel UDF and how to modify it.

Thanks!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Also, if there is a way to make this backwards compatible with as many versions of Excel as possible, that would be helpful. I know it may seem improbable/impossible, but I still run Excel 2000 at home, while running Excel 2010 at work. I try to write AutoIT scripts that will work in both places.

If your scripts work with Excel 2000 now they should work with the brushed up version of the UDF as well.

Backward compatibility is one of the main goals.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi Spiff59,

I've reopened ticket #2199 and implemented the solution you provided.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I've also had an issue with _ExcelBookOpen() in that if you call it to open a workbook in write-mode ($fReadOnly = False) and the file is already open by another user, _ExcelBookOpen() still returns no error, and returns an object to a read-only copy of the spreadsheet. You have no way of knowing if you can proceed with updates. I've been using the following for a couple years, that inserts a FileOpen/FileClose test, and returns a new @error=3 condition if the file is in use. The test is only performed when $fReadOnly = False. Maybe there is a better way to go about it? Regardless, when you request write access to a spreadsheet, _ExcelBookOpen() should tell you whether or not it has been granted.

I have been thinking about this problem and I think we should stick with what Excel provides. So no FileOpen/FileClose, just let Excel do the checking.

If the workbook can't be opened read/write should we

• Return "success" and set @extended to 1 to indicate that the workbook was opened read/only. The user then has to decide if he wants to work with the read/only version
  • Return "error" and close the read/only version of the workbook (as you suggested in your example code)
I would stick with the first solution because this behaviour is as it was before (backward compatibility). But the user gets additional information what happened.

What do you think?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki