Update the Excel UDF that comes with AutoIt

water

Is there a zip version of the BETA - I have tried the portal wrapper in the past and it just sits there for hours - not sure if it ever does anything.

If no zip version - can someone PM me the function _Excel_RangeRead and anything else needed to run it?

Thanks

- sorry for hijacking thread

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Unfortunately the function itself doesn't help. You need the complete UDF plus the beta of AutoIt.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Nitekram,

the function can be extracted from the Alpha version of the new Copy the new functions to your script and pass the necessaray parameters.

The Range functions should work with all AutoIt versions (no beta function used).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water,

Not at work today, but thank you for your help...looking forward to testing!

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Anyway to tell _Excel_RangeRead() to read the whole sheet without know the size of it before execution? Maybe I am missing how to do it?

I see this

; $vRangeOrRow - Either an A1 range or an integer row number to read from if using R1C1

; $iColumn - Optional: The column to read from if using R1C1 (default = 1)

; $iReturn - Optional: What to return of the specified cell:

Still in the testing phase, but it appears to be "A HELL OF A LOT FASTER", how is it possible that it was taking over 3 mins on 2007 and then over 15 mins for 2010 - and now, it is taking about 2 seconds...was there something wrong with the other excel UDF or was it something I was doing - EITHER way, what a huge change and I thank you from the bottom of my heart

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

The UDF is still in an early alpha state but the function will accept parameters to read the whole sheet.

The new UDF is much faster because it reads and writes the array in a single operation now whereas the "old" UDF processed cell by cell.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That is exactly what I plan to do. I hope to release a new Alpha till end of January.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@water - I may have found a bug.

When you use _Excel_Open(False),(application should not be visible) and open another excel file, the one that is supposed to be hidden appears. I am using Office 2010.

To fix this I used the _Excel_BookClose($oOExcel, $oWorkbook) - may need to add that to your example???

$ExcelFile = FileOpenDialog('Look GCAR report spreadsheet', 'c:\', "Excel (*.xls;*.xlsx)", 1 + 2)

Global $oOExcel = _Excel_Open(False)
If @error <> 0 Then
;Return
MsgBox(16, "Excel UDF: _Excel_Open " & $ExcelFile, "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
EndIf

Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oOExcel, $ExcelFile, True)
If @error <> 0 Then
    If @error <> 0 Then
    ;Return
    MsgBox(16, "Excel UDF: _Excel_BookOpen " & $ExcelFile, "Error opening '" & $ExcelFile & "'." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
    EndIf
    _Excel_Close($oOExcel)
    Exit
EndIf

$aArrayExcel = _Excel_RangeRead($oOExcel, $oWorkbook, Default, "A7:BC750")
_Excel_BookClose($oOExcel, $oWorkbook)
_Excel_Close($oOExcel)

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Thanks for this report.

I will check as soon as I return from vacation (mid January).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

While using the example I provide, it appears that once you try to open another excel file - the new file appears to open minimized. It does not appear to happen the next time you open said file. But I am able to replicate it each time I close out of my script, start my script and upload my array from my excel file, then once I open a new different excel file - it opens each time minimized.

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• 2 weeks later...

I tested the latest Alpha with this reproducer script. It starts Excel and opens two workbooks, then sets visibility of the Excel application to true.

Both workbooks don't show up until visibility is set to true.

I use Excel 2010 as well.

#include <Excel Rewrite.au3>

Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False)
If @error <> 0 Then
    MsgBox(16, "Excel UDF: _Excel_Open", "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
EndIf

Global $ExcelFile1 = FileOpenDialog('Select Worksheet', 'H:\tools\AutoIt3\ExcelEX', "Excel (*.xls;*.xlsx)", 1 + 2)
Global $oWorkbook1 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $ExcelFile1, True)
If @error <> 0 Then
    MsgBox(16, "Excel UDF: _Excel_BookOpen", "Error opening '" & $ExcelFile1 & "'." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
    _Excel_Close($oExcel)
    Exit
EndIf
MsgBox(0, "Test", "Book 1 opened!")

Global $ExcelFile2 = FileOpenDialog('Select Worksheet', 'H:\tools\AutoIt3\ExcelEX', "Excel (*.xls;*.xlsx)", 1 + 2)
Global $oWorkbook2 = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $ExcelFile2, True)
If @error <> 0 Then
    MsgBox(16, "Excel UDF: _Excel_BookOpen", "Error opening '" & $ExcelFile2 & "'." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
    _Excel_Close($oExcel)
    Exit
EndIf
MsgBox(0, "Test", "Book 2 opened!")

$oExcel.Visible = True
MsgBox(0, "Test", "Excel set to Visible = True!")

_Excel_Close($oExcel)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry, just seen this. I will try and get more troubleshooting.

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• 2 weeks later...

@water

OK, from what we discussed, I am going to have to try this with the BETA version of AutoIt. But I do want to make sure of something that I just found out today. I am using your code as I showed above and when I open it hiden the excel file it actually makes a copy and puts in my My Documents folder (root) - have not tested it without hiding it. Does this also happen to you with and without using the BETA? Also, the file seems to have been created using less space then the original - which leads me to believe it is not an exact copy. Just more for you to think about. - Thanks again for making it faster.

EDIT - just some further info, the file that I am using is on a server and there fore on a mapped drive - not sure it matters, but wanted you to have more info

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

As my UDF doesn't create a file copy it has to be Excel default behaviour.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Are you talking about a file with a name that starts with "~" and is hidden? Because if that's the case that happens any time you open an Excel file as long as the file existed previously.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

No this is a file not a temp file. Original file size is 1,196KB the file that is located in my 'My Documents' folder is 815KB. Just something else I noticed, the original file's date modified also changes, each time I gather the information into my array. And the file that is copied to my 'My Documents' folder has a different time stamp - 2 minutes later

When I just open the file from the mapped drive, I do not get anything in the 'My Documents' folder, not even a temp file, so it does not look like a default behavior for excel (2010)

I put some msgbox() stop points in to determine where it happens: _Excel_BookClose($oOExcel, $oWorkbook) -->> after this point is when the file shows up in my docs folder.

I put that in, as I was having issues listed above. I took it out and no longer get a copy of the file.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Please have a look at the docu for function _Excel_BookClose. Default for parameter 3 is True which means that the modified workbook is saved before being closed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

My fault then. Glad it was something I was doing. That will never happen again - me being wrong...lol

Edit - I do have a question then, should not the original and the copy be the same size, as all I did was open it to create the array, then close it. Would think there would be no changes, therefore the file size would be the same???

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Don't know what Excel stores in the copy it creates at open time.

Is the copy deleted after _Excel_BookClose or after _Excel_Close?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki