_GUICtrlInputCueBanner.au3 (UDF) - Sets cuebanner/placehold in the input control!

JScript

@rover

No problem!

I'll repeat again about why I have done this UDF:

"In my UDF we can also set the foreground and background color!"

Just what I needed for my program!

Regards,

João Carlos.

Edited by JScript

http://forum.autoitbrasil.com/ (AutoIt v3 Brazil!!!)

Somewhere Out ThereJames Ingram

somewh10.png

dropbo10.pngDownload Dropbox - Simplify your life!
Your virtual HD wherever you go, anywhere!

@rover

No problem!

I'll repeat again about why I have done this UDF:

"In my UDF we can also set the foreground and background color!"

Just what I needed for my program!

Regards,

João Carlos.

My comments are not directed at you JScript.

My first post gives additional reasons of support for your method.

Your UDF fixes two problems with the EM_SETCUEBANNER method

for users with requirement for Asian languages support that is missing in XP, as well as the broken cue banner when the control has focus option.

I see fascists...

Yes it's true, I knew you was not referring directly to me!

I just reinforced for all the reason I have done this UDF, because I knew how the method EM_SETCUEBANNER...

Regards,

João Carlos.

somewh10.png

So, I couldn't be bothered to use the link to post format in the editor.

How about a relevant remark to the issue at hand instead of the usual mutual admiration society sarcasm.

James was pointing out what EM_SETCUEBANNER is in HTML, because Mat stated earlier on the following...

And:

I'm fairly sure I've seen at least another 2 on the forums... I get the feeling no one knows what this is supposed to be called, so never finds it by searching and writes another one instead.

HTML5 <input> placeholder Attribute.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

As I understood, yes. I don't think there was any malice in his post.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Ironic. Says the big man who turned off private messaging, too scared for a discussion.

@guinness is right; I was referring to Mats post, and unfortunately, I mustn't have clicked MultiQuote properly or something, because I was going to quote him and reply. I'm also at work, so I wasn't spending too much time fussing around with it.

Ok, after we clarified the misunderstanding, let us return to the topic content!

If you have suggestions, tips I'd be very grateful!

João Carlos.

somewh10.png

Ok, I added the words "placeholder" and "cuebanner" in the topic title!

But do not think I'll change the name of the UDF or functions, because the word "comment" also refers to the content, and in the Portuguese language is clearer.

Regards,

João Carlos.

somewh10.png

But do not think I'll change the name of the UDF or functions, because the word "comment" also refers to the content, and in the Portuguese language is clearer.

I was always led to believe that you should program American English, libraries from around the world are generally in this style. Surely if you renamed it, you'd help other developers looking for the placeholder script, find it easier?

I do hope this post isn't considered drivel by the way.

I will express my opinion:

cuebanner defines better than placeholder

And above both refer to a comment, tip or suggestion, I am correct?

In that case I could change the name:

_GuiCtrlInput_SetComment()

by:

_GuiCtrlInput_SetCueBanner()

But I think it would be strange: _GuiCtrlInput_SetPlaceHolder()

It's only my opinion, fell free to comment!

João Carlos.

somewh10.png

I think _GuiCtrlInput_SetCueBanner is a better choice as this is what it is. As I said before nice UDF with a different approach.

UDF List:

• 2 months later...

Functions renamed, see the first post!

Thanks to all he contributed...

Regards,

João Carlos.

Hey JScript,

I ran across a problem today while using your UDF that when I have tabs and use the _GuiCtrlInput_SetCueBanner function on a tab, say Tab #4, it will set the focus to Tab #1.

Not for sure what could be causing this but when I remove the _GuiCtrlInput_SetCueBanner from the input box it works fine.

Edit: Ok I found some more information. If I have a normal GUICtrlCreateInput on the tab and click the control first it will no longer send me back to the first tab and I can click freely. If I click the inputs with the CueBanner first it will send me back.

Edit2 Solution: I found that if I use ControlClick() and click a input box that does not contain a CueBanner at the start of the script it would no longer do this. Temporary fix till the real solution can be found.

Edited by Tomoya

If you post a snippet of code for me reproduce the same effect, it would be good, but I will try to reproduce the same error!

Thanks for the info,

JS

somewh10.png