Tooltip for IP Address input

vvb

Hi All,

I am creating a simple user input form which contains a number of standard inputs and some IP address inputs created using _GUICtrlIpAddress_Create. I am able to add a tooltip to the standard inputs using GUICtrlSetTip but am not able to for the IP Addresses. I've tried the following and nothing appears:

Func SetToolTip($form, $ctrl, $tip)
   Local $ExtStyle = 0
   Local $ctrlHdl = GUICtrlGetHandle($ctrl)
   Local $tipHdl = _GUIToolTip_Create($ctrlHdl, BitOR($TTS_ALWAYSTIP, $TTS_NOPREFIX))
   _GUIToolTip_AddTool($tipHdl, 0, $tip, $ctrlHdl, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
EndFunc

All help much appreciated as I would not want to go down the path of monitoring the mouse position as there are more than 20 inputs.

Kind Regards,

Vlad

I'll be AutoIting my entire system soon.

• Moderators

Can you please post the entirety of your code, or a short reproducer? The Tooltip function by itself kind of has us shooting in the dark for an answer to your problem :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Hi JLogan3o13,

Following is a sample of the script I am writing:

#include <Misc.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiIPAddress.au3>
#include <GuiToolTip.au3>
_Main()
Func _Main()
   ; Ensures only one instance is running.
   _Singleton(@ScriptName, 0)
   ; Enable on event GUI
   Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
   ; Sleep time in idle loop
   Global Const $SLEEP_TIME = 50
   Local Const $TITLE = "User Inputs"

; Create the main form
   Global $form = GUICreate($TITLE, 230, 70, -1, -1)

; General Host Information
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hostname:", 10, 12)
   Global $hostNameTxt = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 70, 10, 150, 20)
   GUICtrlSetTip($hostNameTxt, "Enter the name of the computer")
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Host IP:", 10, 42)
   Global $hostIPTxt = _GUICtrlIpAddress_Create($form, 70, 40, 150, 20)
   SetToolTip($form, $hostIPTxt, "Enter the IP address of the computer")
   ; Add callback for closing via X button
   GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "ExitGUI")
   ; Show GUI
   GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $form)
   While 1
      sleep($SLEEP_TIME)  
   WEnd
EndFunc
Func ExitGUI()
   Exit
EndFunc
   Local $ExtStyle = 0
   Local $tipHdl = _GUIToolTip_Create($ctrlHdl, BitOR($TTS_ALWAYSTIP, $TTS_NOPREFIX))
EndFunc

Kind Regards,

Vlad

Why are you using _GUIToolTip_Create instead of using GUICtrlSetTip? I would think the latter would be much easier to use. I've also never run into a script that uses _GUIToolTip_* before, so I'm not sure what the issue might be.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Why are you using _GUIToolTip_Create instead of using GUICtrlSetTip? I would think the latter would be much easier to use. I've also never run into a script that uses _GUIToolTip_* before, so I'm not sure what the issue might be.

Because it does not work on IP address input. See following code with IP address input using GUICtrlSetTip:

#include <Misc.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiIPAddress.au3>
#include <GuiToolTip.au3>
_Main()
Func _Main()
   ; Ensures only one instance is running.
   _Singleton(@ScriptName, 0)
   ; Enable on event GUI
   Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)
   ; Sleep time in idle loop
   Global Const $SLEEP_TIME = 50
   Local Const $TITLE = "User Inputs"

; Create the main form
   Global $form = GUICreate($TITLE, 230, 100, -1, -1)

; General Host Information
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hostname:", 10, 12)
   Global $hostNameTxt = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 80, 10, 140, 20)
   ; Using GUICtrlSetTip on a standard input works
   GUICtrlSetTip($hostNameTxt, "Enter the name of the computer")
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Host IP:", 10, 42)
   Global $hostIPTxt = _GUICtrlIpAddress_Create($form, 80, 40, 140, 20)
   ; Using UDF tooltip method on a non-standard IP address input does not work
   SetToolTip($form, $hostIPTxt, "Enter the IP address of the computer")
   GUICtrlCreateLabel("Subnet Mask:", 10, 72)
   Global $maskTxt = _GUICtrlIpAddress_Create($form, 80, 70, 140, 20)
   ; Using GUICtrlSetTip on a UDF IP address input does not work
   GUICtrlSetTip($maskTxt, "Enter the subnet mask of the computer")
   ; Add callback for closing via X button
   GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "ExitGUI")
   ; Show GUI
   GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $form)
   While 1
      sleep($SLEEP_TIME)  
   WEnd
EndFunc
Func ExitGUI()
   Exit
EndFunc
   Local $ExtStyle = 0
EndFunc

martin posted a couple of years ago that creates a tooltip with a workaround for the problem associated with GUICtrlSetTip and the IP address control. Because there aren't any clear examples of how to use the tooltip UDFs I'm struggling with getting them to work.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

martin posted a couple of years ago that creates a tooltip with a workaround for the problem associated with GUICtrlSetTip and the IP address control. Because there aren't any clear examples of how to use the tooltip UDFs I'm struggling with getting them to work.

Thanks but as mentioned above, that is not the step I want to take as I have a lot of IP address fields. I'll have to loop through each of them to see if the mouse is within its area.

I've decided to create a custom input with 4 individual standard inputs restricted to 3 digit numbers for now.

Cheers all.

Couldn't you just put a label above the IP address field that explains what's needed in that input? Seems a lot simpler.

Couldn't you just put a label above the IP address field that explains what's needed in that input? Seems a lot simpler.

That would be too messy.

Interesting however, I have also tried a simple method of getting the control id from the hover point using a DLL call and the tooltip does appear for the IP address input but only when the mouse is over the edge or the dots and not when it is over the actual white input area.

Func GetHoverHandle()
   Local $iRet = DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "WindowFromPoint", "long", MouseGetPos(0), "long", MouseGetPos(1))
   If IsArray($iRet) Then Return HWnd($iRet[0])
   Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndFunc

If you're creating your own inputs for an IP address entry, you might want to use one of the snippets in the wiki that deal with verifying whether the IP address entered is a valid IP. One of those entries is one that I submitted, which if I do say so myself, is one of the very few that actually validates an IPv4 address correctly. ;)

Edited by BrewManNH

Verifying that an IPv6 string is valid would be a daunting task, considering that there are varying values that are valid, yet don't look like a normal address. I'm not going to attempt that one :)