Is there a way, while Autoit is running, to reload the registry?

ocmyhome

I have a bit of Autoit code that updates the include registry value, however Autoit doesn't recognize it until it's shutdown and restarted again. Is there a way, while it's running, to inform Autoit of the current, most up-to-date registry settings w/ out having to restart it?

I appreciate the feedback! I dabbled with this for the morning and couldn't get it to work. Here's what I tried (or some close variant)

_SendMessage("hwnd_broadcast","wm_settingchange","SETTINGCHANGE_RESET","INI_INTL",0,"UINT")

Not even sure if that's valid to be honest. Not a programmer, and have a limited understanding on these matters. guess I'll relegate myself to a workaround. Again, thanks for the input!

I have a bit of Autoit code that updates the include registry value, however Autoit doesn't recognize it until it's shutdown and restarted again. Is there a way, while it's running, to inform Autoit of the current, most up-to-date registry settings w/ out having to restart it?

In a case like this, it's best to provide a code example. If you're working with the registry or anything that gets updated, you need to "reread" it. In this case, re call your "regread()" and reload it to the variable. If you only call the regread once, the variable calls later on will be what that variable had at the time of the original regread.

In short......

$reg = regread(keyname, value)

do some stuff

$reg = regread(keyname, value)

run your if/then statement

Edited by Colyn1337

I'm with AZJIO, I've never heard of 'updating the registry.'

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

I don't know about the registry having to be updated. The application that is reading registry settings though, sure, I can see that.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

include registry value

Name Key, Value and Type or it didn't happen :censored:

My magic glass orb tells me that it might be related to but it's a little foggy inside, might also be wrong...

Edited by KaFu

I don't know about the registry having to be updated. The application that is reading registry settings though, sure, I can see that.

The application I can understand, but surely you can't enforce an application to refresh with sending a message e.g. WM_COMMAND or WM_REFRESHAPPLICATIONSETTINGSPLEASE?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Appreciate the responses. By way of clarity let me explain what I'm doing, hopefully explained well enough to understand...

So I've set the Include string value (HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareAutoIt v3AutoIt) with the include locations of my automation. (eg: "C:AutoIt3Include;C:TrunkInclude;C:BranchInclude;C:other placeInclude") Anyways, to avoid the manual process of updating this registry value (whenever we create a new include path), I wrote code to simply find these include paths (automatically) and update the registry value. Simple enough, all is well.

However, after I update this registry value using Autoit, we continue w/ the automation, not stopping/restarting autoit itself. So Autoit will never be aware of the new include path unless we stop and restart it. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Call me selfish, but I'd like to avoid separating the task of updating this include registry value and running automation, but keep them into one smooth run.

Apologies if this isn't explained well enough. Not sure if the code I use to update the registry is necessary. I just don't know how to inform Autoit, of the new include path, after it's already started (w/ out having to restart it). Thx again...

Edited by ocmyhome

Where are the additional includes in relation to the main script? As to your problem you would need to restart AutoIt.

#include "ExampleUDF.au3" ; The UDF is next to the include.]

#include - Wonder what the difference between <> and "" is, look there.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Where are the additional includes in relation to the main script? As to your problem you would need to restart AutoIt.

Test is here: C:Projectstrunktests, and include here: C:Projectstrunkinclude. And the root portion of this path changes per branch.

But this got me thinking, I should only set the include registry setting to the path/branch that I'm running against. I can't have all of them defined as I can only assume Autoit will find the first instance of a function and run w/ it, even though it may be from a different branch. This doesn't change the fact that I need to update the include registry path. But yea, I'll have to have separate runs of our automation to handle this. One to update the registry setting, and the other after Autoit has been shutdown/restarted.

Are you talking about AutoIt or about SciTE? Because they're not the same. If you're trying to get a script to find your user defined include path(s), then you can update the SciteUser.properties or SciteGlobal.properties file and add them to the openpath.$(au3)= setting in either of those files.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I really don't understand why you don't make your life easier and just change the #include <> path in the script file.

For example create a file called _MsgBox.au3 in the includes folder and then create a new file in the tests folder and paste.

#include '..includes_MsgBox.au3'

UDF List:

I really don't understand why you don't make your life easier and just change the #include <> path in the script file.

For example create a file called _MsgBox.au3 in the includes folder and then create a new file in the tests folder and paste.

#include '..includes_MsgBox.au3'

Thank you sir! This is the solution I'll use. Makes the most sense and I can completely avoid setting any include registry value.

Probably a low level kind of question, but thanks everyone for the input.

You're welcome.

UDF List: