get filename from an item already selected

sbrady

Yes, there is an example in the examples section. Search 'explorer get filename.'

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Hi,

Here you go :

#include <GUIListView.au3>

$hDesktopLw = ControlGetHandle("[TITLE:Program Manager;CLASS:Progman]", "", "[CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:1]")

For $iLwIndex = 0 To _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($hDesktopLw)
If _GUICtrlListView_GetItemSelected($hDesktopLw, $iLwIndex) Then
Local $sLwItemText = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemText($hDesktopLw, $iLwIndex)
ConsoleWrite("item selected: " & $sLwItemText & @CRLF)

ClipPut(FileRead(@DesktopDir & "" & $sLwItemText))
EndIf
Next

Br, FireFox.

Thanks FireFox. Bare in mind if you have a 64-bit version of Windows then this will only work with the 64-bit version of AutoIt and not the 32-bit.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

thanks all, I'll give it a try,

here is how I'd do it in Applescript

tell application "Finder"

set the_selection to selection

set the_file to item 1 of the_selection

set filename to name of the_file

end tell

see why my learning curve is so high

Apply the same rule to how you learn AppleScript, that's my advice.

UDF List:

Yup, that is quite different, but then again. Apple script is built into OS X, while autoit is a sepparate system talking to the OS. :) Keep trying and you will be able to do a ton of cool things.

Programming Novice, interested in c++ (i know maybe 1%) AutoIT and many more.Projects : Anime renamer

I did not know that, maybe you would tell me why.

Because explorer.exe is a 64-bit process.

UDF List:

I bought an awesome book, and that thing taught me all I needed to know about getting things done with Applescript. I cant find an AutoIT book anywhere. I can see that you can do a LOT of cool things with AutoIT.......I dont see where to learn it other then right here bugging you guys to death. Thanks for all your help to me in coding my needs. shawn

Now you have intrigued me too, sure explorer.exe is 64 bit on a 64 bit windows, but if you have a 32 bit version, the process is called the same is it not?

Or do they add like you would do a normal 32 bit app in 64 bit windows like this : "explorer.exe *32" ?

/ sorry for the thread hijack, I just wanted to ask while guinness was still on the prowl

Programming Novice, interested in c++ (i know maybe 1%) AutoIT and many more.Projects : Anime renamer

I bought an awesome book, and that thing taught me all I needed to know about getting things done with Applescript. I cant find an AutoIT book anywhere. I can see that you can do a LOT of cool things with AutoIT.......I dont see where to learn it other then right here bugging you guys to death. Thanks for all your help to me in coding my needs. shawn

Check out the toturial section of the page, there is where I learned most of my autoit skills, otherwise just google "autoit" + whatever you want to try, a basic knowledge of how programming works helps a lot to learn autoit too, I personally have no clue how applescript works, but it should at least have some common ground, at least in philosopy or something.

edit: sorry for doublepost.

Edited by TagK

Hm?, you can not run 64 bits app with a 32 bits OS i think...

That's why I only install 32 bits OS, then you can only run 32 bits applications.

Edit : typo.

Edited by FireFox

Do they have an awesome Forum like AutoIt does with an amazing help file to accompany it? If the answer is No, then man you're in luck!

Now you have intrigued me too, sure explorer.exe is 64 bit on a 64 bit windows, but if you have a 32 bit version, the process is called the same is it not?

Or do they add like you would do a normal 32 bit app in 64 bit windows like this : "explorer.exe *32" ?

/ sorry for the thread hijack, I just wanted to ask while guinness was still on the prowl

Same name, because the *32 prefix is to distinguish when a 32-bit application is running and since a 32-bit OS only works with 32-bit programs, it's not required. See the Remarks in ControlListView.

UDF List:

I dont see where to learn it other then right here bugging you guys to death. Thanks for all your help to me in coding my needs. shawn

There are tutorials available, there's the Wiki and the excellent help files all available for learning the basics. There's this forum, which probably has most of the answers to the questions that you might need answered, available at the click of a search. I'd search using one of the search sites (google or bing) rather than the forum search, mainly because they allow searches that just aren't possible with the forum search. Use site:autoitscript.com/forum after the search phrase and it will search this site.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hm?, you can not run 64 bits app with a 32 bits OS i think...

No you can't. But when I tried your snippet with AutoIt x64 and Windows 7 x64 it worked. When I tried with AutoIt x32 it didn't.

UDF List:

Apple has killer forums. You can get your answers there for sure. There are MANY great books written also. Since my work it going BACK to PC........I have to find a way to do all my file/folder management, otherwise I'll die typing everything over and over and over again.