MCI Error at _SoundOpen

Hi everyone,

I've really no idea how to fix that problem.

When I try to use the _SoundOpen method I sometimes get an MCI Error with the code 10.

I already searched for that error-code but it seems to be not declared.

Has some of you an idea or the same error?

Thanks a lot and I'm sorry for my bad English.

aliaselisenhut

Can you post a script that reproduces the problem and perhaps one of the files that you're having problems opening? I'm not sure what this error is telling us, but it would be helpful to see what it is you're dealing with.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Here's a code snippet which always returns the extended error "10"

$sound=_SoundOpen(FileGetShortName("C:\Users\username\Desktop\Surfer Blood - I'm Not Ready.mp3"))

if @error=1 Then
MsgBox(0,"",@Extended)
EndIf

_SoundPlay($sound)

Is the "10" meant to be add to 256?

If so, why can the driver sometimes not be loaded?

Greetings

aliaselisenhut

• Moderators

aliaselisenhut,

There was a problem with _SoundOpen and short file names containing a space which I described here, but the UDF was modifed a long time ago - what AutoIt version are you running? :huh:

Anyway, there is no need to pass the short name to _SoundOpen - the UDF takes care of that internally. Does it open if you pass the full filename?

Finally, does the file play when using the native SoundPlay function (note there is no leading underscore)? Some users have reported having problems with the UDF and the files will not play using the native function either.

Sorry not to be of more direct help, but if you search you will see that there have been quite a few people who have run into MCI problems and we normally cannot do a lot. :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

aliaselisenhut,

I already saw your post

Nice to see someone searching before posting! :D

The file does also not play when I use the SoundPlay function

I was afraid that would be your answer. Do you have WindowsSystem32winmm.dll on your system? :huh:

If not then you might want to install it and try again. If you do have it then I fear I can help no more as the problem is with your machine and not with the UDF. :(

If you ever find the answer please let us know because, as I mentioned earlier, there are several others in your position. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

What version of AutoIt are you using? Windows version? Is it just that mp3 which is not playing?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

OK, so perhaps you should upgrade to AutoIt V3.3.8.1 first and then try again. That's why most of use can't replicate the error as we don't have a version which is over 2yrs old.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• Moderators

aliaselisenhut,

Please post a short musinc file that gives you the problem so we can test it. :)

M23

Spoiler

Try this to get the error return...

; Bare Bones MCI Media Player with Error Return
; December 8, 2010
; Version: 0.01
; Modified: September 30, 2012 - Minor Adjustments
;
Global $mciDll = DllOpen(@WindowsDir & 'system32winmm.dll')
If @error Then Exit
Local $sFile = FileOpenDialog('Choose File', @ScriptDir, 'Select Media (*.mp3)')
If Not $sFile Then Exit
mciSendString('open "' & $sFile & '" alias mySound')
If @error Then Exit
mciSendString('play mySound')
If @error Then Exit
;
Local $ui = GUICreate('Bare Bones MCI Media Player with Error Return', 400, 150, 100, 100)
GUICtrlCreateLabel(StringRegExpReplace($sFile, '.*', ''), 50, 60, 300, 50, 0x01)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $ui)
;
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3
;
GUIDelete($ui)
mciSendString('stop mySound')
mciSendString('close all')
DllClose($mciDll)
Exit
;
Func mciSendString($string = '', $mciMsg = '')
    $mciMsg = DllCall($mciDll, 'long', 'mciSendStringA', 'str', $string, 'str', '', 'int', 180, 'ptr', 0)
    If @error Then Return SetError(-1)
    If $mciMsg[0] <> 0 Then
        Local $eMsg = DllCall($mciDll, 'long', 'mciGetErrorStringA', 'int', $mciMsg[0], 'str', '', 'int', 180)
        If @error Then Return SetError(-2)
        MsgBox(8208, 'MCI Error', $mciMsg[0] & @CRLF & $eMsg[2])
        Return SetError(-3)
    EndIf
    Return $mciMsg[2]
EndFunc
;

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

It would be, but you could create a sound file of you talking or tapping into a microphone (in-built) and then try if this works. If it doesn't then you can upload as there is no copyright infringement.

UDF List:

Are the music files you're having problems with VBR (variable bit rate) encoded by any chance?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

277 - MCIERR_INTERNAL - A problem occurred in initializing MCI

I agree with BrewManNH about the VBR encoding -- or some encoding it doesn't recognize.

Best way to find out, is re-encode one of the mp3's to a "constant bitrate" in "standard stereo".

For instance: 160kb's @ 44.1khz.

If it will play afterwards ... then I think you will have your answer.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

• Moderators

Hi,

Nearly all of my MP3 file are VBR and they open and play without problem, so I am not sure that this is the root of the problem. On the few occasions where I have had problems opening MP3 files with _SoundOpen it has proved to be corrupted ID3 tags (and usually the album art tag) that were preventing the file from playing. Removing all tags and then reloading them made the file playable again. I hesitated to suggest this earlier as thet OP indicated that his problem was pretty widespread and it is unlikely that all his tags have become corrupted. :)

M23

Edit: I used ID3Kill to strip the tags - I use TagScanner to add them. ;)

Edited by Melba23

Spoiler