Excel Read Only Issue - Activate

RamadSula

I apologize for the double forum posting , but this request morphed beyond the intent other forum.

Project:

I am creating GUI that runs a Document Marquee that cycles various Documents , i.e Word, PDF, Excel on a large display.

There is one Excel document that is a maintenance log that is READ Only

Request:

I have an issue in which I can open a read only Excel document but not give it focus with Sheet Activate

I apologize for the indirect addressing , I created an editable array for management to change documents in the Marquee.

Code snipet :

$logtxt = $Title[$Row][$Col] & " Attempt Active"

Call("WritetoLog", $logtxt)

$oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application") ; Create initial Excel Object

$oExcel.WorkBooks($Title[$Row][$Col]).Sheets($Tab[$Row][$Col]).Select()

I still get Invalid Index Errors on Read Only when attempting to Select a read only worksheet.

09/27/2012 13:57:49 WorkBook maintenance crossover.xlsx [Read-Only] Tab maint log Attempt

09/27/2012 13:57:49 COM Error Hex Number is: 80020009

09/27/2012 13:57:49 COM Error Description is: Invalid index.

If I create another version of the excel document that is not Read-only, the error goes away.

Any thoughts on what may be causing it?

Can you post a small reproducer here that showes the described behaviour? I mean an Excel workbook plus an AutoIt script to open the workbook and activate a sheet.

I would like to have a look at the problem. Maybe the Excel UDF needs to be modified as you assume.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I just ran this little reproducer script with a workbook with 3 worksheets and didn't have a problem:

#include <Excel.au3>

Global $oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen(@ScriptDir & "\Test.xlsx", 1, True) ; Open Read Only
$oExcel.WorkBooks(1).Sheets(3).Select()
MsgBox(0, "", "@error: " & @error & ", @extended: " & @extended)
_ExcelBookClose($oExcel, 0, 0)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Water

Thanks for the all help. I figured what is causing one error and figured out a workaround for the rest.

I began to create a simple hard coded version like you suggested that exploited the perceived weakness and discovered the error.

The problem was that I was using the exact Windows Title including the " [READ ONLY] " in its name.

I filtered out everything but the Name.Extension and the error message went away.

However I was still unable to switch back to this document once another document was opened, such as a PDF.

I experimented with assigning a separate Excel Object for each Excel document and found that I now could switch between

documents.

My document marquee is small , no more than nine documents, so having extra COM Objects is not huge deal.

Thanks again for all your help.