Need guidance on the very basics of client/server apps

qwert

I have a small AU3 script that picks up a JPG from a specific directory (e.g., C:\Pics), operates on the JPG (sizes and renames) and then places it on a results directory (e.g., C:\Results).

What I would like to do is deploy the script in a client/server environment, where there's a copy of my AU3 script running on several client PCs, but with single \Pics and \Results directories on a central server PC. My problem is: I'm a complete newbie as far as client/server computing goes. To my knowledge, none of my scripts have ever run in a client/server environment ... and certainly not by me.

I will greatly appreciate guidance to help me get a toehold on the very basics. For starters:

1. Can any PC in a network be the server? ... or does the server PC have to run a Server O/S?

2. Does my script have to be installed on each client PC? ... or can any client just run a copy of what resides on the server PC? (Multiple copies will need to be running at the same time.)

3. Should such a simple application use UDP or TCP communications?

4. Will my client application(s) be able to read and write to the server's directories? ... or will I need to write a corresponding script to run on the server (to do the reads and writes)?

5. Other than the chat applications, is there a working example of anything as simple as what I've described?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Is the network you are talking about a corporate network? If yes, a simple network share should do what you need.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Is the network you are talking about a corporate network? If yes, a simple network share should do what you need.

Thanks for responding, but "corporate network" and "simple network share" are among the many networking terms that I don't (yet) have a basis for understanding ... which is the reason I posted my five "toehold" questions.

"Corporate network" means that you do not need to write a client/server application. A file server that every user can access is enough.

How does your network look like?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

??? You have an understanding of client/server. But nothing you've said or asked maps to anything I know. So, let me restate my questions:

1. Can any PC in a network be the server? ... or does the server PC have to run a Server O/S?

2. Does my script have to be installed on each client PC? ... or can any client just run a copy of what resides on the server PC? (Multiple copies will need to be running at the same time.)

3. Should such a simple application use UDP or TCP communications?

4. Will my client application(s) be able to read and write to the server's directories? ... or will I need to write a corresponding script to run on the server (to do the reads and writes)?

5. Other than the chat applications, is there a working example of anything as simple as what I've described?

So, let me restate my questions:

• Can any PC in a network be the server? ... or does the server PC have to run a Server O/S?

>> Yes, if you write your own server with AutoIt and run the code on this PC. If you can use a file server software (Microsoft Server Operating System or Samba on Linux etc.) this would be easier.

• Does my script have to be installed on each client PC? ... or can any client just run a copy of what resides on the server PC? (Multiple copies will need to be running at the same time.)

>> Every PC just loads and runs a copy of your script

• Should such a simple application use UDP or TCP communications?

>> It depends. UDP doesn't have error handling. You have to make sure that all packets have been received and are in correct order. I would hence use TCP.

• Will my client application(s) be able to read and write to the server's directories? ... or will I need to write a corresponding script to run on the server (to do the reads and writes)?

>> If you write the client and server part yourself every needed function has to be coded by you

• Other than the chat applications, is there a working example of anything as simple as what I've described?

>> Not that I know of

To sum it up:

If you just need read/write file access I would stick with a file server operating system on the server and only code the client part.

If you have a file server in your network please tell us which operating system so we can help you design the client part.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you for those answers. I'll now spend time trying to fill in my knowledge so that I really understand each.

If you have a file server in your network please tell us which operating system so we can help you design the client part.

Your request points to the core of my problem: I won't have say over the operating environment. I have application scripts that run fine on a single PC. But I want to deploy them in a Learning Center setting ... where there will likely thin clients (display stations?) connected to a central application server.

So, at this point, I'm trying to learn enough to be able to discuss implementation possibilities with others. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set up a demonstration of the technology using a couple of my own Win 7 PCs ... which is why I asked if any example existed.

I really appreciate you bearing with me on this. Again, thank you.

Another idea:

If you have a PC that acts as a "server" you could use a simple file share. The "client" PCs could read the pictures and write the processed pictures to this share. Here you find a short description for Windows 7.

A file share should work for PCs and thin clients.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

But I want to deploy them in a Learning Center setting ... where there will likely thin clients (display stations?) connected to a central application server.

If you have for example Citrix as a central application server then all you have to do is package your program. After that you can assign it to certain users and its available on the OS of the thin clients. If you are not allowed directly on the central server then just ask your system administrator to package your app.

As you can see the next important question to answer is the used Operating System / Application Server? Could be Microsoft Terminal Server, Citrix, VMWare etc.

Based on the answer we can suggest possible solutions.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

water, I read about Simple File Sharing ... and it sounded perfect ... right up until this statement: "Homegroups aren't available on Windows Server 2008 R2." I would suppose most Learning Centers (like schools) won't be running Win 7 Home Edition.

Is there such a thing as a cross-server-platform approach? ... one that works on several common server environments?

skin27, you've used the statement "all you have to do is package your program". What does that entail? Right now, I only have a compiled executable that reads and writes to hard-coded directories.

To "package" means that an application (e.g. compiled AutoIt script) is wrapped so it can by deployed by Citrix. The same is true for Windows APP-V.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki