Variable question; Remote exec question.

Hello.

Every six months we have to generate key files for a program and get a new key from a different country. Problem is that we have over 500 machines waiting for new key codes. I am new at this job and if I could get this to work my boss would cry rainbows. He hates doing this manually by logmein.

Let's get on point, shall we.

The thing is that I am supposed to generate registry files, and I have decided that shipping it off to dropbox is the best approach. It works, but I am currently using the computer name as text file. That's not good at all, since most of the computers are simply called "pc" or something else. I can't change the pc name either because the programs running are very strict about the computer name in order to function.

We do have logmein, and when you open logmein with the window info tool you can mark the box with the name. All the names we have with logmein are unique to the machines, so this would be a lot better. How would one go by with storing the text as a variable? I have tried other methods, but I just can't seem to get my head around it.

Next question.

I am looking for a simple way to communicate remotely with all the machines. Is there a simple, yet efficient way to do this? All I want the program to do is to ping the machines with replies (indicating that it's online), and then execute the script I will have installed on each machine.

As always, I love you all!

Thank you, and good day.

Hi,

As a big compagny, you have a website or better than that, a private network; so the thing I would do is to install a script on all computers that checks every 6 months (on the website or on the network) for the new key.

For your next question, the most effictive way would be by TCP.

Br, FireFox.

Hi,

As a big compagny, you have a website or better than that, a private network; so the thing I would do is to install a script on all computers that checks every 6 months (on the website or on the network) for the new key.

For your next question, the most effictive way would be by TCP.

Br, FireFox.

Thank you for the reply.

Sadly, we have to log in with remote desktop every 6~ months when the keys run out. The program have to generate a registry file (which is unique to the computer!) and then we mail the key files to an external company. Later that day we receive the new key codes and have to manually enter the codes one by one, through remote desktop. It's a huge pain and we usually do this when we're away from work (meaning I lose precious time petting my dog or playing the guitar!).

The reason for this is that if we stop paying said company, all the programs would eventually stop working.

Could you take point and show me some guides for TCP functions? I am not an experienced programmer.

Again, thank you.

which is unique to the computer!

You can generate a computer name for each script, save it in an ini file; then you send a request with that computer name to have the according generated key.

Could you take point and show me some guides for TCP functions? I am not an experienced programmer.

Here is but only for one computer to another, if you want a server with multiple clients, you will have to put sockets in an array.

First of all, if you can't diferrentiate between computers using the name then you could try using the seral number.

Also, a great tool to run things on remote computers is called PsExec from Microsoft's site. It works over the local network or VPN but not across the internet. You can give it a list of PC names or IP addresses and it can run the program on all those machines.

From what you have said it seems you could export the reg key to a file with the serial number as the name and save it into dropbox. Then you could put the new files in dropbox as well with the same serial number name but a different extension. You could then either use PsExec to run the program to process those files or have a program running on each of the PCs that monitors for that new file and processes it.