Running as a Windows Service

fcjoe

Hello,

I have a compiled script that runs with no problems when I run it manually. I used the SC command to add it as a service but when I try to start it I get an error.

Error: 1503: The service did not responds to the start control request in a timely fashion.

This is the first time I've tried adding one of my scripts as a service. Is there something I need to add to the code to send a signal to windows that it has started successfully? Or is something else causing this issue?

If you need the code let me know and I will post it.

Thanks,

Joe

What command do you use for SC? What version of AutoIt? Windows? And have you tried one the UDFs in the Examples section to create a service.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

To guinness' points I would add, always post your code (or at least a reproducer). It really should be a pre-requisite for creating a thread, and will help us help you :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

What command do you use for SC? What version of AutoIt? Windows? And have you tried one the UDFs in the Examples section to create a service.

Guinness,

AutoIt 3.3.6.1

Windows 7 64Bit

SC command: sc create ManageWireless binPath= D:CodeWirelessManageWireless.exe

Have not tried one of the examples but I will try that now and report back.

Here is my code, basically copied the VBScript from link below and recoded for AutoIt

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Disable-wireless-f3bcf66f

Dim $objWMIService
Dim $colLAN, $colWiFi
Dim $objWiFi, $objLAN
Dim $strWirelessName
Dim $State = ""
Dim $wireStatus = ""
Dim $wifiStatus = ""
;Dim $oVBS
$oVBS = ObjCreate("ScriptControl")
$oVBS.language = "VBScript"
Global Const $Nothing = $oVBS.eval("Nothing")
$oVBS = $Nothing
While 1
$strWirelessName = GetWirelessName()
$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:.rootCIMV2")
$colLAN = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapter Where NetConnectionID like 'Local Area Connection' and PhysicalAdapter='True'")
$colWiFi = $objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapter Where NetConnectionID =" & "'" & $strWirelessName & "'" & " and PhysicalAdapter='True'")
For $objWiFi In $colWiFi
  If $objWiFi.Netconnectionstatus = 2 Then
   $wifiStatus = True
   ;MsgBox(0,"","WiFi Connected")
  Else
   $wifiStatus = False
   ;MsgBox(0,"","WiFi DIS-Connected")
  EndIf
Next
For $objLAN in $colLAN
  If $objLAN.Netconnectionstatus=2 Then
   $wireStatus = True
   ;$State = False ;this is very importnat variable to determine when to enable or disbale wireless connection
  Else
   $wireStatus = False
  EndIf
Next
If $wireStatus = False And $wifiStatus = False Then
  EnableWireless($strWirelessName)
ElseIf $wireStatus = True And $wifiStatus = True Then
  DisableWireless($strWirelessName)
EndIf
Sleep(5000)
WEnd
Func GetWirelessName()
Local $strKeyPath = "SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlNetwork{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
Local $objReg
Local $arrSubKeys[25]
Local $SubKey
Local $strValueName
Local $dwValue
Local $strValue
Local $intRet
Const $HKLM = 0x80000002
$objReg = ObjGet("winmgmts:.rootdefault:StdRegProv")
$objReg.Enumkey($HKLM ,$strKeyPath,$arrSubKeys)
For $SubKey In $arrSubKeys
  $strValueName = "MediaSubType"
  $objReg.GetDWORDValue($HKLM,$strKeyPath & "" & $SubKey & "" & "Connection",$strValueName,$dwValue)
  If $dwValue = 2 Then
   $strValueName = "Name"
   $objReg.GetStringValue($HKLM,$strKeyPath & "" & $SubKey & "" & "Connection",$strValueName,$strValue)
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
Next
Return($strValue)
EndFunc
Func EnableWireless($strNetConn)
Local $objShell, $colConnections, $objConn, $objNetwork, $objEnable, $objVerb
Local $strEnable = "En&able"
Const $NETWORK_CONNECTIONS = 0x31
$objShell = ObjCreate("Shell.Application")
$colConnections = $objShell.Namespace($NETWORK_CONNECTIONS)
For $objConn In $colConnections.Items
  If $objConn.Name = $strNetConn Then
   $objNetwork = $objConn
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
Next
$objEnable = $Nothing
;Enable NIC
For $objVerb In $objNetwork.verbs
  If $objVerb.name = $strEnable Then
   $objEnable = $objVerb
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
Next
If $objEnable <> $Nothing Then $objEnable.DoIt
Sleep(60000)
EndFunc
Func DisableWireless($strNetConn)
Local $objShell, $colConnections, $objConn, $objNetwork, $objDisable, $objVerb
Local $strDisable = "Disa&amp;ble"
Const $NETWORK_CONNECTIONS = 0x31
$objShell = ObjCreate("Shell.Application")
$colConnections = $objShell.Namespace($NETWORK_CONNECTIONS)
For $objConn in $colConnections.Items
  If $objConn.Name = $strNetConn Then
   $objNetwork = $objConn
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
Next
$objDisable = $Nothing
For $objVerb in $objNetwork.verbs
  if $objVerb.name = $strDisable Then
   $objDisable = $objVerb
   ExitLoop
  EndIf
Next
If $objDisable <> $Nothing Then $objDisable.DoIt
Sleep(3000)
EndFunc
Edited by fcjoe

Simply using SC to add your application won't work since your app isn't a native Windows Service. Error 1053 comes up because Windows is sending a "start" command but your application doesn't know how to handle it...

You need a "service wrapper" that will intercept the Windows Service start command and kick off your application (as if you had double-clicked on it yourself). Microsoft provides Srvany for free, but there are other more robust commercial alternatives like the one our company makes (AlwaysUp).

Note - you may have trouble with some of the AutoIt functions (like WinActivate and WinWaitActive) when running as a Windows Service. Search the forum to find out more.

is an UDF that lets your scripts run as a service.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Version 1 of the UDF (can be found at the bottom of the first post) has about 5600 downloads, version 2 (the one at the top of the first post) about 1200.

I think you can trust this UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki