SciTE question - add commands to properties file?

I've googled in the past and have tried again today for the last half hour but haven't found the answer to where we can add commands so that in SciTE, i.e., syntax from our own UDFs will come up like regular commands. What I mean is, when you start to type regular commands something like "ShellEx...", syntax comes up that you can choose and also it shows arguments. If through osmosis I've understood enough, if we can edit any file it'll be, I'm guessing, the "au3.properties" file (??) we can add commands to that then would show up in SciTE? Do I have that right?

Are there any guides anywhere to do this editing? I'd really like to add commands I repeat a lot that are ones I use a lot that references UDFs I use at all times. Perhaps if I know what to search for I'd find guides on my own. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I hope I've worded this question correctly, I don't know exactly what it's called what I'm trying to do. Please ask and I'll try to explain better if my question isn't clear enough.

Thanks so much. :)

• Moderators

Diana (Cda),

Take a look at the Adding UDFs to AutoIt and SciTE tutorial in the Wiki - that should help you. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 11 months later...

Hi, M23!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but at the time, I got stumped and a couple of challenging work contracts led me away from finishing this task.  So I'd really like to learn to use these options once and for all.  And I think it would be helpful for other newbies, too!

I've been trying to figure out a couple of things, mainly because I wasn't able to get certain things to work back then.  A few months later and one thing immediately stood out as I have a fresh mind and perspective.  The reason my user properties file never showed up is because, and I see it now whereas I didn't see it then, a blank properties file is being opened up on the C drive instead of the one in AI's main folder that falls in this current installation on the G drive.

I saw another of my properties files away from C is opened correctly but I'm missing where to tell AI where to open the user one.  My "SciTE.recent" and SciTE.session" files have always been saved there, which I've never liked and got to thinking it would be grand to get AI to always look in the installation folder always rather than on the C drive.  Perhaps then, as a bonus, the recent and session files would always get dumped into the install folder, too.

How do we get AI to get edit a user properties file on a specific path, pls?  I've been reading through the documentation and, as always seems to happen when I don't figure things out right away, just getting a jumble of information that puts my brain on overload without solving the issue at hand <lol>.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Moderators

Diana (Cda),

Jos decided a while ago (helped by some judicious prompting) that it would be a good idea to move all the various "user" files out of the SciTE install folders and into the user profile - this was because most people install AutoIt into their C:Program Files (you and I appear to be among the few exceptions) and the Vista+ OSs do not take kindly to creating/changing files on that path. You may remember that SciTEConfig used to run a UAC prompt in order to make its changes. - as I wanted to introduce the Abbreviation and UserCallTip managers to SciTEConfig this meant that the problem would only get worse instead of better. :(

So we worked on a new method to get SciTE to look in the user profile for these files - and that has been in place since the v2.28 release at the end of 2011. If you use the tools within SciTE (SciTEConfig and the 2 managers mentioned above) to amend your various user files then they will be automatically created in the correct place and you need not concern yourself about their location. ;)

But I am afraid you cannot tell SciTE to look elsewhere for these "user" files - they were moved to the user profile for very good reasons as explained above. Most people seem to regard this as a positive change - I hope you too will come to see it in that light after having read this post. :)

M23

Edit: And thanks for the push to revisit the Wiki and update it! :>

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Set the Environment variable SciTE_Home to where your scite files are.

If the "SciTE_HOME" environment variable is set on either Windows or GTK+ then it is where both the global and user properties files are found.

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

Looks like I get to rewrite the 2 manager scripts ... again ... so that they look for that variable. :(

But that can wait until I have some spare time and have done some testing. ;)

M23

Spoiler

very useful thread. i just added all the UDFs i commonly use. i used to have to copy and paste a command from another script i made and then edit it.

one question tho (if im supposed to make a new thread, i apologize), when adding the ExtMsgBox UDF that Melba made, i added it in "Header Mode". But when i tried others, i had to put it in "Direct Mode" and put in my own description. Just curious as to why that may be?

• Developers

I am not using the SciTE_HOME variable in my setup so cant guarantee all will work properly.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

Kidney,

My UDFs work in "Header" mode because I write proper headers for the functions which are exposed to the user, including "Syntax" and "Description" lines, and flag up the "internal use only" ones - those are what the manager uses in that mode to decide which functions to add and with what data in the CallTip. If the UDF author has not written headers for the functions then "Header" mode will obviously not find any - and you have to use "Direct" mode where the manager looks for every function in the script, suggests the syntax as written in the Func line, and leaves the user to add a suitable description. :)

Basically blame the UDF authors - not the manager app! :D

M23

Spoiler