GUI Overlay won't stay on top of start menu

I've been working on a small app for people with multiple monitors that creates a semi-transparent gui overlay in each monitor which the mouse is not currently in. The effect is that the current monitor will be at full brightness while the other monitor(s) will be very dim.

I have everything running quite well, but there's one issue. The start menu doesn't want to stay down. I'm using WS_EX_TOPMOST to keep the Overlays on top, but it seems that every time the start menu is clicked.. it sets its topmost value back, which makes it higher than mine. The solution I'm currently running with is to just constantly set the primary monitor's overlay to be top-most, which works.. but it means I'm sending the system messages like crazy. Better would be to hook in to each time the start menu is clicked, but I have no clue how to do that.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Lococobra

Why not use something like this >>

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Local $hGUI = GUICreate('Non Minimizable', 500, 500, -1, -1, $WS_MAXIMIZEBOX)
_SetWindowNonMinimizable($hGUI)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Func _SetWindowNonMinimizable($hWnd)
    Return _WinAPI_SetWindowLong($hWnd, $GWL_HWNDPARENT, ControlGetHandle('[CLASS:Progman]', '', 'SysListView321'))
EndFunc   ;==>_SetWindowNonMinimizable

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Wait, I forgot to quote that you created it FireFox. Sorry.

Edit: Sorry my mistake it wasn't you.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Guinness, unfortunately your solution doesn't work. Figure it might be easier if I just give you guys the code.

You can grab the code here

The solution I have is.. decently elegant (it's commented out on line 43). I'm using WinActive to check if the Shell_TrayWnd is on top, and if so I immediately raise that screen's overlay back on top. This works really well because generally if you're clicking on the start menu your mouse is already on that screen, meaning you won't see the start menu pop above the overlay and then get hidden behind it again.. but if your mouse is on another monitor and you click the windows key you'll see a little flash as it raises and lowers.

If you only have one monitor you can check out what the overlay looks like by modifying line 33 as follows:

If $i = $CurMonitor Then
change to...
If $i = $CurMonitor And 1 = 0 Then

Lococobra,

I tested your code but nothing happened so I'm at a lost as to what I was meant to be seeing? But I decided to create a small snippet though it appears the taskbar has precedence over other windows. I will have a play around with this today.

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $iHeight = 30, $iWidth = 500
    Local $aWinGetPos = _TaskBar_Location($iWidth, $iHeight)
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('By guinness 2012', $iWidth, $iHeight, $aWinGetPos[0], $aWinGetPos[1] + ($iHeight + 2), BitOR($WS_POPUP, $WS_MAXIMIZEBOX), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW))
    _SetWindowNonMinimizable($hGUI)

Local $iClose = GUICtrlCreateButton('Close', $iWidth - 90, 2, 85, 25)

GUISetBkColor(0xFF0000, $hGUI)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $iClose
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func _SetWindowNonMinimizable($hWnd)
    Return _WinAPI_SetWindowLong($hWnd, $GWL_HWNDPARENT, ControlGetHandle('[CLASS:Progman]', '', 'SysListView321'))
EndFunc   ;==>_SetWindowNonMinimizable

Func _TaskBar_Location($iWidth, $iHeight) ; Idea was initially from Melba23 in his Toast UDF, but modifed by guinness.
    Local Const $ABM_GETSTATE = 0x00000004, $SPI_GETWORKAREA = 0x0030
    Local $aReturn[2] = [-1, -1]

Local $aState = DllCall('shell32.dll', 'uint', 'SHAppBarMessage', 'dword', $ABM_GETSTATE, 'ptr*', 0)
    If @error = 0 And BitAND($aState[0], 0x01) Then
        Local $aWinGetPos = WinGetPos('[CLASS:Shell_TrayWnd]')
        If @error Then
            Return SetError(1, 0, $aReturn)
        EndIf

If $aWinGetPos[1] > 0 Then
            $aReturn[0] = @DesktopWidth - $iWidth - 10
            $aReturn[1] = $aWinGetPos[1] - $iHeight - 2
        ElseIf $aWinGetPos[0] > 0 Then
            $aReturn[0] = $aWinGetPos[0] - $iWidth - 2
            $aReturn[1] = @DesktopHeight - $iHeight - 10
        ElseIf $aWinGetPos[2] >= @DesktopWidth Then
            $aReturn[1] = $aWinGetPos[1] + $aWinGetPos[3]
        ElseIf $aWinGetPos[3] >= @DesktopHeight Then
            $aReturn[0] = $aWinGetPos[0] + $aWinGetPos[2]
        EndIf
    Else
        Local $tWorkArea = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)
        _WinAPI_SystemParametersInfo($SPI_GETWORKAREA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($tWorkArea))
        If @error Then
            Return SetError(1, 0, $aReturn)
        EndIf
        Local $aWinGetPosEx[4] = [DllStructGetData($tWorkArea, 'Left'), DllStructGetData($tWorkArea, 'Top'), _
                DllStructGetData($tWorkArea, 'Right'), DllStructGetData($tWorkArea, 'Bottom')]

If $aWinGetPosEx[3] <> @DesktopHeight Then
            $aReturn[1] = $aWinGetPosEx[3] - $iHeight - 2
        ElseIf $aWinGetPosEx[2] <> @DesktopWidth Then
            $aReturn[0] = $aWinGetPosEx[2] - $iWidth - 2
        ElseIf $aWinGetPosEx[1] <> 0 Then
            $aReturn[1] = $aWinGetPosEx[1]
        ElseIf $aWinGetPosEx[0] <> 0 Then
            $aReturn[0] = $aWinGetPosEx[0]
        EndIf
    EndIf
    Return $aReturn
EndFunc   ;==>_TaskBar_Location
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Do you have multiple monitors? If not you won't see anything. The script dims monitors the mouse is not currenty in. For testing though, your code looks like it has the same effect.

Yeah, like I said before, I think that the start menu just resets its topmost flag every time it is interacted with in any way.

I don't have multiple monitors, just the one I'm afraid. I think you're right but perhaps search (using a popular search engine) the term 'window on top of taskbar c++' and see what you get.

Also I updated my example above though it doesn't solve your problem.

UDF List:

I thought you were kidding, so I did the same...

It was funkey not you, I got confused for about 2 seconds. Sorry.

UDF List:

I should probably call this thread. I think the best I'll be able to do is just constantly throw that topmost flag at my overlays. A rather rudimentary solution.. but the only one that really works it would seem.

Though I do wonder how F.lux has seemingly overcome this hurdle.

Edited by Lococobra

Did you search google or duckduckgo for examples in C++/C/C#? I'm sure there is a way just not one that I know of.

UDF List: