GUI With No Border

Venix

I believe I have seen something like this before in example scripts however I could not find anything on it so I thought I would post here. I would like to create a GUI that has no border around it what so ever, but can be dragged around the screen and placed anywhere like a normal application. The reason I want to do this is I want to be able to create a desktop widget style application and kind of make my own personal skin for it by giving the borderless GUI a background image.

I am finding it quite difficult to explain what I am after so I will use the image below. I would like to remove everything outside of the red box and just be left with the content part of the form however still retain the ability to move the application where I like. I'm pretty confident this can be done but I do not know where to start.

Any help is appreciated, although I have attempted a few things it hasn’t gotten me very far.

Edit: Any further input on a better way to go about this is appreciated.

Posted Image

Edited by Venix

Like this >>

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('WM_NCHITTEST', 250, 100, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)
    GUIRegisterMsg($WM_NCHITTEST, 'WM_NCHITTEST')

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func WM_NCHITTEST($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam
    Return $HTCAPTION
EndFunc   ;==>WM_NCHITTEST

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks this is a good starting point :)

But surely this answers your question though?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

But surely this answers your question though?

For the most part yes but I wanted to be able to change the location of the GUI by dragging it. Not sure if that is possible without the border but if not I could always add some kind of button that would move it to a certain location.

Edit: Nevermind it works I'm being stupid here.

Edited by Venix

Just drag the red GUI around!

#include <WinAPI.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('WM_NCHITTEST', 250, 100, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP)
    GUISetBkColor(0xFF0000, $hGUI)

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Return $HTCAPTION

UDF List:

• 8 years later...

Hey there,

Not sure if this is the best way, but here it goes.

The original script from guinness creates the window at the center of screen, and I don't know if WinMove has any value for it. So adjusted the script to include a default position (300,300).

Also, not sure if "Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG" is the correct way to Return, but works like this.

#include <WinAPI.au3>

Global $iWinPosLeft = 300 ;Position of the window from left of screen
Global $iWinPosTop = 300 ;Position of window from top of screen

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('WM_NCHITTEST', 250, 100, $iWinPosLeft, $iWinPosTop, $WS_POPUP) ;Changed this line for WinPosLeft and WinPosTop
    GUISetBkColor(0xFF0000, $hGUI)

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_MOVE, 'WM_MOVETEST')  ;Add this to look for WM_MOVE message

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop

EndSwitch
    WEnd
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Return $HTCAPTION

Func WM_MOVETEST($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam) ;Called each time a WM_MOVE message is captured
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam ;So AutoIt3Check doesn't complain about variable not used
    WinMove($hWnd, '', $iWinPosLeft, $iWinPosTop) ;Move Window back to the original default pos.
    Return $GUI_RUNDEFMSG
EndFunc   ;==>Example WM_MOVE

Edit1: Why is the code not formatted for AutoIt? I made sure it was selected.

Edit2: Now I see correct format.

Edited by GokAy
Trying to see why code is not formatted for AutoIT