[Solved] crypt.au3 Fails to decrypt data and sets @error to 0

Kyan

Hi

I'm using crypt.au3 to store data in the programa .ini, but every time I tried to decode it, _crypt_decryptdata, sets @error = 0 and returns -1 (weird ah)

this is how I'm doing

Local $dhj, $dpass
_Crypt_Startup()
$dhj = _Crypt_DeriveKey(BinaryToString($password), $CALG_DES)
$dpass = _Crypt_DecryptData("0x" & $sCryptedData, $dhj, $CALG_USERKEY)
MsgBox(0,"",$dpass) ;returns -1
MsgBox(0,"",@error) ;returns 0
_Crypt_DestroyKey($dhj)
_Crypt_Shutdown()

I'm doing something wrong?

Edited by DiOgO

Heroes, there is no such thing

One day I'll discover what IE.au3 has of special for so many users using it.
C'mon there's InetRead and WinHTTP, way better
happy.png

Does the example for _Crypt_DecryptData from the help file work for you?

How do you create $sCryptedData? Why do you prefix the crypted data with "0x"?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

MsgBox(0, "", @error)
returns 0 because @error is set by the last called function. In your case by the preceding MsgBox. Change it to

MsgBox(0, "", $dpass & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

MsgBox(0, "", @error)
returns 0 because @error is set by the last called function. In your case by the preceding MsgBox. Change it to

MsgBox(0, "", $dpass & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error)

well seen :)

I found that problem comes from _Crypt_EncryptData, after encrypt, the @error is set to 2, 2 - Failed to determine buffer, how can I solve this? (I'm using the same structure as DecryptData, derivkey > crypt)

edit:

Does the example for _Crypt_DecryptData from the help file work for you?

How do you create $sCryptedData? Why do you prefix the crypted data with "0x"?

I like it written as hex string in the .ini, thats why I trimmed left the crypted data, and for decrypt it I need to add "0x" before the $sCryptedData Edited by DiOgO

happy.png

My question would be what AutoIt version? As well as did you check the help file example?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

My question would be what AutoIt version? As well as did you check the help file example?

SciTE 2.28, of course I check the help file, if you see my second comment, you'll find the exact sentence that is at help file, about @error 2

if I knew what is causing the error "Failed to determine buffer" would be easier to fix

EDIT: Now is working without change anything :s

Edited by DiOgO

happy.png

Guinness wasn't asking for the SciTE version you use (that's the editor) but for the AutoIt version.

This can easily be retrieved by running

MsgBox(0, "", @AutoItVersion)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks water. Also their version of SciTE is outdated too so they may want to upgrade to the latest version of SciTE4AutoIt3.

Could you also provide a working example as we have no idea what $password contains or $sCryptedData. The more you can provide the easier it will be.

This works for me:

#include <Crypt.au3>

Local $aStringsToEncrypt[6] = ["AutoIt", "SciTE", "Crypt", ".au3", 42, "42"]
Local $sOutput = ""

Local $hKey = _Crypt_DeriveKey("CryptPassword", $CALG_RC4) ; Declare a password string and algorithm to create a cryptographic key.

For $iWord In $aStringsToEncrypt
    $sOutput &= $iWord & @TAB & " = " & _Crypt_EncryptData($iWord, $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY) & @CRLF ; Encrypt the text with the cryptographic key.
Next

MsgBox(0, "Encrypted data", $sOutput)

_Crypt_DestroyKey($hKey) ; Destroy the cryptographic key.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Guinness wasn't asking for the SciTE version you use (that's the editor) but for the AutoIt version.

This can easily be retrieved by running

MsgBox(0, "", @AutoItVersion)

sorry, 3.3.8.1 is the value returned ;)

Thanks water. Also their version of SciTE is outdated too so they may want to upgrade to the latest version of SciTE4AutoIt3.

Could you also provide a working example as we have no idea what $password contains or $sCryptedData. The more you can provide the easier it will be.

This works for me:

#include <Crypt.au3>

Local $aStringsToEncrypt[6] = ["AutoIt", "SciTE", "Crypt", ".au3", 42, "42"]
Local $sOutput = ""

Local $hKey = _Crypt_DeriveKey("CryptPassword", $CALG_RC4) ; Declare a password string and algorithm to create a cryptographic key.

For $iWord In $aStringsToEncrypt
$sOutput &= $iWord & @TAB & " = " & _Crypt_EncryptData($iWord, $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY) & @CRLF ; Encrypt the text with the cryptographic key.
Next

MsgBox(0, "Encrypted data", $sOutput)

_Crypt_DestroyKey($hKey) ; Destroy the cryptographic key.

$password contains a simple alphanumeric passphrase, it is in binary, so I use binarytostring to retrieve the ansii text

$sCryptedData contains data, previously encrypt with the same algorithm ($CALG_DES) and with the same password

the error could be by caused by using a different derivekey?, since I wrote the data in a .ini, and in another execution it decrypts (tries unless) to a normal text string

PS: now I tried in my script (not in test script) I got the same error in decryption stage,

there's some incompatibility with these libraries?

#include <WinHttp.au3>

#include <GuiStatusBar.au3>
#include <GuiMenu.au3>
#include <array.au3>
#include <Date.au3>#include <GDIPlus.au3>

EDIT: I test the encrypt function and decode function, and it was able to encrypt this string 'Test!()'''

the problem could be with reading the encrypted data from .ini

EDIT2: Solved, I using a variable that was not set (only after some commands it would be set), thanks for the help guys

Edited by DiOgO

happy.png

It wasn't the answer I was really looking for. Anyway with what information you have provided I can only conclude that this is how you do it.

#include <Crypt.au3>

Local $bPassword = StringToBinary('passwordexample')
Local $sPassword = BinaryToString($bPassword)
ConsoleWrite('Password: ' & $sPassword & @CRLF)

_Crypt_Startup()

Local $hKey = _Crypt_DeriveKey($sPassword, $CALG_DES)

Local $bEncryptedText = _Crypt_EncryptData('Random Text', $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY)
Local $sEncryptedText =  String($bEncryptedText)
ConsoleWrite($sEncryptedText & ' >> IsString: ' & IsString($sEncryptedText) & @CRLF)

Local $sDecryptText = BinaryToString(_Crypt_DecryptData($sEncryptedText, $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY))
ConsoleWrite($sDecryptText & ' >> IsString: ' & IsString($sDecryptText) & @CRLF)

_Crypt_DestroyKey($hKey)

_Crypt_Shutdown()

If not, then provide a small reproducer.

UDF List:

It wasn't the answer I was really looking for. Anyway with what information you have provided I can only conclude that this is how you do it.

#include <Crypt.au3>

Local $bPassword = StringToBinary('passwordexample')
Local $sPassword = BinaryToString($bPassword)
ConsoleWrite('Password: ' & $sPassword & @CRLF)

_Crypt_Startup()

Local $hKey = _Crypt_DeriveKey($sPassword, $CALG_DES)

Local $bEncryptedText = _Crypt_EncryptData('Random Text', $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY)
Local $sEncryptedText = String($bEncryptedText)
ConsoleWrite($sEncryptedText & ' >> IsString: ' & IsString($sEncryptedText) & @CRLF)

Local $sDecryptText = BinaryToString(_Crypt_DecryptData($sEncryptedText, $hKey, $CALG_USERKEY))
ConsoleWrite($sDecryptText & ' >> IsString: ' & IsString($sDecryptText) & @CRLF)

_Crypt_DestroyKey($hKey)

_Crypt_Shutdown()

If not, then provide a small reproducer.

I already said what was the problem, I was trying to use a variable that is not set (a empty one, like: Global $myvar)

here's the code:

#include 
Global $ini = @ScriptDir & "test.ini"
$bPassword = StringToBinary("mypassword")
$bEncdata = _enc("random data")
ConsoleWrite("Encrypted:"&$bEncdata&@CRLF)
If $bEncdata <> -1 Then IniWriteSection($ini,"Data","Encrypted="&$bEncdata)
If FileExists($ini) Then
$iEnc = IniRead($ini,"Data","Encrypted",'')
If $iEnc <> '' Then
$sDec = _dec($iEnc)
ConsoleWrite("Decrypted:"&$sDec&@CRLF)
EndIf
EndIf

Func _enc($idp)
Local $hj, $he
_Crypt_Startup()
$hj = _Crypt_DeriveKey(BinaryToString($bPassword), $CALG_DES)
$he = _Crypt_EncryptData($idp, $hj, $CALG_USERKEY)
_Crypt_DestroyKey($hj)
_Crypt_Shutdown()
Return StringTrimLeft($he,2)
EndFunc

Func _dec($inp)
Local $dhj, $dpass
_Crypt_Startup()
$dhj = _Crypt_DeriveKey(BinaryToString($bPassword), $CALG_DES)
$dpass = _Crypt_DecryptData("0x"&$inp, $dhj, $CALG_USERKEY)
_Crypt_DestroyKey($dhj)
_Crypt_Shutdown()
If $dpass = -1 Then
MsgBox(16,"ERROR","Bad encrypted data")
IniDelete($ini,"Data")
Return ''
Else
Return BinaryToString($dpass)
EndIf
EndFunc

happy.png

At the time you made that second edit I didn't see it as I was already working on the example. You're welcome anyway.

UDF List: