_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected vs. imagelist

Tin2tin

When I use _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected(GUICtrlGetHandle($Listview)) to delete items in a list the images are also deleted from the list, but when I add more items and images to the list things are messed up. Does _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected also delete the images from the imagelist?

If not I've tried to do it this way, but it doesn't work either:

for $j=_GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview) to 0 step -1
if _GUICtrlListView_GetItemSelected($Listview, $j)=1 then
_GUIImageList_Remove(GUICtrlGetHandle($hImage), $j)
_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem(GUICtrlGetHandle($Listview), $j)
endif
next

How do I avoid the image list beeing messed up after deleting some items and then add more items?

Edited by Tin2tin

"A bit messed up" is a rather vague statement as to what is happening.

Could you post the code you're using so we can get some idea of what it is we're dealing with?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

"A bit messed up" is a rather vague statement as to what is happening.

Could you post the code you're using so we can get some idea of what it is we're dealing with?

Sorry for not beeing more precise, but it seems like the imagelist items haven't been deleted correctly, so the newly added images are inserted after the insertion of the images which was supposed to be deleted. Here are some bits an pieces of the code:

While 1
;ConsoleWrite(GUIGetMsg())
Switch GUIGetMsg()
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
cleanup()
if ProcessExists("ffmbc.exe") then ProcessClose("ffmbc.exe")
EXIT

Case $GUI_EVENT_DROPPED
If $__DropFiles[0] > 0 Then
GUISetCursor(15, 1, $hGUI)
for $i =1 to ubound($__DropFiles)-1
if ((_GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1)+ubound($__DropFiles)-1)>499 Then
msgbox(48, "Aborting Import", "A maximum of 500 clips can be converted.")
exitloop
endif
;GUICtrlSetData($process,Int(($lastreturn/$fulltime)*100))
GUICtrlSetData($process,Int(($i/ubound($__DropFiles))*100))
addtolist($__DropFiles[$i])
next
GUICtrlSetData($process,Int(0))
GUISetCursor($old_cursor, 1, $hGUI)
EndIf

Case $btn
if _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)>0 then
$upload=false
_Convert()
endif

Case $btn_upload
if _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)>0 then
$upload=true
_Convert()
endif

Case $swapbtn
_swap()

Case $NM_DBLCLK
MsgBox(4096, "listview", "clicked=" & GUICtrlGetState($Listview), 2)
EndSwitch
WEnd
GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc ;==>BatchConverter

func addtolist($addfile)
ConsoleWrite($addfile)
if stringright($addfile,3)="ini" or stringright($addfile,3)="lnk" then return
Local $attribute = FileGetAttrib($addfile) ; Retrieve the file/dir attributes
If StringInStr($attribute, "D") Then ; If the attribute string contains the letter 'D' then it is a DIR.
Local $FileList=_FileListToArray($addfile)
if @error then
else
if $FileList[0]>0 Then
for $f=1 to ubound($FileList)-1
GUICtrlSetData($process,Int(($f/ubound($FileList))*100))
addtolist($addfile&chr(92)&$FileList[$f])
next
endif
endif
else
$reuse=0
for $j=0 to _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)
if $addfile=_GUICtrlListView_GetItemText($Listview, $j, 4) then $reuse=1
next
if $reuse=0 then
if ffprobetest($addfile) then
ffthumb($addfile)
$MyPath=_PathSplit($addfile, $szDrive, $szDir, $szFName, $szExt)
if FileExists ( @TempDir&chr(92)&"EyeFrame"&chr(92)&"Thumbs"&chr(92)&$MyPath[3]&".bmp" ) <> 0 then
$result=_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _WinAPI_LoadImage(0, @TempDir&chr(92)&"EyeFrame"&chr(92)&"Thumbs"&chr(92)&$MyPath[3]&".bmp", $IMAGE_BITMAP, 96, 54, BitOr($LR_LOADFROMFILE, $LR_DEFAULTSIZE)))
_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($Listview, "",_GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview))
_GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($Listview, _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1,$addfile, 4, -1)
_GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($Listview, _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1,$MyPath[3]&$MyPath[4], 1, -1)
_GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($Listview, _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1,round(filegetsize($addfile)/1000000,2)&" MB", 2, -1)
$t=FileGetTime($addfile)
_GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($Listview, _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1,$t[0] & "-" & $t[1] & "-" & $t[2]& " " & $t[3]& ":" & $t[4]& "." & $t[5], 3, -1)
_GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($Listview, $hImage,1)
_GUICtrlListView_EnsureVisible($ListView, _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1)
GUISetState()
endif
Else
MsgBox(48, "File", "Unable to import: "&$addfile)
endif
endif
endif
endfunc

Func DeleteSelection()
;~ for $j=_GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview) to 0 step -1
;~ if _GUICtrlListView_GetItemSelected($Listview, $j)=1 then
;~ ConsoleWrite($j)
;~ _GUIImageList_Remove(GUICtrlGetHandle($hImage), $j)
;~ ;msgbox(0,"","")
;~ _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem(GUICtrlGetHandle($Listview), $j)
;~ ;_GUIImageList_Remove($hImage, $j)
;~ endif
;~ next

; _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected(GUICtrlGetHandle($Listview))
; _GUIImageList_Destroy($hImage)
; $hImage = _GUIImageList_Create(96, 54)
;~ _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($Listview, $hImage, 1)
;~ for $i=1 to _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($Listview)-1
;~ $MyPath=_PathSplit(_GUICtrlListView_GetItemText($Listview, $i, 4), $szDrive, $szDir, $szFName, $szExt)
;~ $result=_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _WinAPI_LoadImage(0, @TempDir&chr(92)&"EyeFrame"&chr(92)&"Thumbs"&chr(92)&$MyPath[3]&".bmp", $IMAGE_BITMAP, 96, 54, BitOr($LR_LOADFROMFILE, $LR_DEFAULTSIZE)))
;~ ConsoleWrite($result)
;~ next
; GUISetState()
_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected(GUICtrlGetHandle($Listview))
EndFunc ;==>DeleteSelection

Do you have any working code that I can run to demonstrate the problem? This is just a small part of the script and I can't see anything wrong with it as far as I can follow it, but it's much easier if you post a working script that reproduces the issue you're having.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm affraid it's big download, but here it is: http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/EyeFrameConverter.zip

To reproduce the problem, add some video files, delete some of them with the del key and add some more video files.

The file is called Eyeframe_source.au3.

Edited by Tin2tin

I don't know what BrewManNH thinks, but provide a small reproducer instead of your entire program because that download is massive and a little difficult to read due to only a handful of comments.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I'm with guiness, something small that shows the problem without needing to drop videos on the GUI would be most helpful. Use bitmaps or icons for the image list, and it will make it far easier to see if it's a problem with the function, or a problem with your code.

When you do, just take the example from the Help file and change accordingly.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

This script demonstrates a Listview with an image list applied to it. I delete row 3 and the image assigned to the 3rd spot in the image list. Then I recreate row 3, add row 4 and also add 2 items to the image list. This demo works for me.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GuiImageList.au3>
$Debug_LV = False ; Check ClassName being passed to ListView functions, set to True and use a handle to another control to see it work
_Main()
Func _Main()
 Local $hImage, $hListView
 GUICreate("ListView Set Image List", 400, 300)
 $hListView = GUICtrlCreateListView("", 2, 2, 394, 268)
 GUISetState()
 ; Load images
 $hImage = _GUIImageList_Create()
 _GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0xFF0000, 16, 16))
 _GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x00FF00, 16, 16))
 _GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x0000FF, 16, 16))

; Add columns
 _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($hListView, "Column 1", 100)
 _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($hListView, "Column 2", 100)
 _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($hListView, "Column 3", 100)
 ; Add items
 _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "Item 1", 0)
 _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "Item 2", 1)
 _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "Item 3", 2)
 Local $hPrevImageList = _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($hListView, $hImage, 1)
 ; Get image list handle
 MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Deleting item 2")
 _GUIImageList_Remove($hImage, 2)
 _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem(GUICtrlGetHandle($hListView), 2)
 MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Adding imagelist item 2 back in with new lv item and image")
 _GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0xFF8040, 16, 16))
 _GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x408080, 16, 16))
 _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "Item 4", 3)
 _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($hListView, $hImage, 1)
 ; Loop until user exits
 Do
 Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
 GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

I took this from the example script in the help file, and modified it for demonstration purposes. It shows that there's nothing wrong with the image list removal or add commands, or the listview command that do the same. At least as far as I can determine.

Apparently the problem appears when it isn't the last item deleted. If the 2. last item is deleted this happens:

$Debug_LV = False ; Check ClassName being passed to ListView functions, set to True and use a handle to another control to see it work

_Main()
Func _Main()
GUISetState()
; Load images
_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0xFF0000, 16, 16))
_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x00FF00, 16, 16))
_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x0000FF, 16, 16))

; Add columns
; Add items
; Get image list handle
_GUIImageList_Remove($hImage, 1)
_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem(GUICtrlGetHandle($hListView), 1)
; msgbox(4160,"Total images in List",_GUIImageList_GetImageCount($hImage))
MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Adding imagelist item 2 back in with new lv item and image")
_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0xFF8040, 16, 16))
_GUIImageList_Add($hImage, _GUICtrlListView_CreateSolidBitMap($hListView, 0x408080, 16, 16))
_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "Item 4", 3)
; Loop until user exits
Do
GUIDelete()
EndFunc ;==>_Main
Edited by Tin2tin

From running the script, it appears that when you add the image to the image list, it's appending it to the end of the list as I would expect, then what was image 3 becomes image 2 (because you deleted image 2 previously and the images move up the list as items are deleted), new image becomes image 3.

This is my understanding of what's happening.

Original Colors

0 - Red

1 - Green

2 - Blue

Delete 2

0 - Red

1 - Blue

Add new images 3 & 4

0 - Red

1 - Blue

2 - Pinkish

3 - Greenish

Because previously Item 3 was set to use Image 2, it's now going to use the new image 2 color, which is the pinkish color. In investigating this, I found that there's a function which will reset the image used for an item in the list view, which would have to be called when applying the new image list.

_Main()
Func _Main()
     GUISetState()
     ; Load images
     ; Add columns
     ; Add items
     ; Get image list handle
     _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "New Item 4", 2)
     _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "New Item 5", 3)
     MsgBox(64, "Information", "Added items to the listview using the new image list" & @CRLF & "Now resetting the image used for Item 3 to use the correct image in the new image list.")
     _GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 1, 1) ; Resets which image Item 3 uses for it's image in the new image list.
 ; Loop until user exits
     Do
     GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Woa, that seems to solve the problem. I would never have guessed that it is necessary to do this:

_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 1, 1) ; Resets which image Item 3 uses for it's image in the new image list.

Maybe _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected should have that function call added internally?

Thank you so much.

Hmm, maybe I don't understand that function correctly, because if I remove two items things go wrong again:

#include
#include
#include
_Main()
Func _Main()
GUISetState()
; Load images
; Add columns
; Add items
; Get image list handle
MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Deleting item 1 and 2")
_GUIImageList_Remove($hImage, 0)
_GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem(GUICtrlGetHandle($hListView), 0)
MsgBox(4160, "Information", "Adding imagelist two new lv item and images")
_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "New Item 4", 2)
_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($hListView, "New Item 5", 3)
MsgBox(64, "Information", "Added items to the listview using the new image list" & @CRLF & "Now resetting the image used for Item 1-3 to use the correct image in the new image list.")
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 0, 1) ; Resets which image Item 1 uses for it's image in the new image list.
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 1, 1) ; Resets which image Item 2 uses for it's image in the new image list.
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 2, 1) ; Resets which image Item 3 uses for it's image in the new image list.
; Loop until user exits
Do
GUIDelete()
EndFunc ;==>_Main
Edited by Tin2tin

You might want to check these lines:

_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 0, 1) ; Resets which image Item 1 uses for it's image in the new image list.
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 1, 1) ; Resets which image Item 2 uses for it's image in the new image list.
_GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($hListView, 2, 1) ; Resets which image Item 3 uses for it's image in the new image list.

They all point to the same image in the image list. It should probably be 0, 1, and 2 instead of all 1s.

Glad I could help, and I learned some new information myself while researching, so it's a win. :D