CyberSlug's - GuiBuilder

TheSaint

TheSaint - 5 July 2005:

Added the ability to re-load the (*.agd) settings/template file, from the command-line (you can now use - Open With or SendTo, or simply associate that file type with the Guibuilder program. I modified some of CyberSlug's code & some of Roy's. I also added the ability to store the last used folder location in a .ini file (Gbuild.ini), this entry is the default load or save location if the file/entry exists, otherwise it default's to My Documents. The default GUI's .au3 filename, is also taken from Roy's template (*.agd) file, if you created one.

TheSaint:

BUG FIX - 31 Aug 2005: Command-line variable updated to ignore value of 1 - discovered this, when Guibuilder crashed on me, and I couldn't re-load the saved (*.agd) file, because $CmdLine[0] was returning a value of 1!

0 0-|-<

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 1 year later...

I've been meaning to upload this for some time, and as I still use it all the time (by preference), I thought others might also still like its simplicity. :)

GuiBuilder.au3Previous Downloads: 194

Guibuild.ico

See Post #9 below, for information & a link to a newer version compatible with later AutoIt versions (above version download is not compatible with AutoIt v3.2.12.0 etc).

CHANGES by TheSaint - 17th December 2006:

This file was originally Prototype 0.5, and at some point CyberSlug had changed it to 0.6 ... the only main difference I could find, was that all the "handle=" & $main, etc had been changed to $main, etc (the '"handle=" & ' element being completely removed).

I have now implemented that change in this file, plus re-worked several other elements. Most notably, the GUI gets it's name from the title in SciTe (if you're running it), it also gets the save path from that name. There was one other change I found in Prototype 0.6, that reflected newer GUI changes -

If Not IsDeclared('WS_CLIPSIBLINGS') Then Global $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS = 0x04000000 had been removed, and $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW + $WS_VISIBLE + $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS had been changed to the following - BitOR($WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS), which I find to be an uncommon use, so I added my most commonly preferred version -

$WS_OVERLAPPED + $WS_CAPTION + $WS_SYSMENU + $WS_VISIBLE + $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS + $WS_MINIMIZEBOX.

Due to my changes I have now called the program - Prototype 0.7. I have also added an 'About' dialog & 'Info' dialog menu items, and finally increased the height of the 'Choose Control Type' gui, which had been previously overlooked by both Roy and myself, which had meant that the bottom row of buttons was only partially displayed.

NOTES:

One might wonder at my bothering to do all this, with the advent of KODA. Well I both like and dislike elements of KODA, and find the simplicity of AutoBuilder (with the later changes) much more pleasing at times. In particular, I dislike the naming and size ranges available in KODA, which means I'm forever renaming and changing them to what I want. In particular I like the buttons and inputs, etc to start off at 20 high, and have an underslash between control names and numbers i.e. $checkbox_1 not $checkbox1. I also prefer to have more screen to play with.

CHANGES by Roy - 20 Jun 2005:

added save & load gui defs to ini files with file ext .agd (AutoIt Gui Definition)

see _SaveGuiDefinition & _LoadGuiDefinition (very beta code)

Commented Beep function

Note: Compile with 3.1.1.0

TO USE IT COMPILE IN THE SAME DIRECTORY OF GUIBUILDER (NEEDS PICS X ICON & PIC)

CHANGES by TheSaint - 5 July 2005:

Added the ability to re-load the (*.agd) settings/template file, from the command-line (you can now use - Open With or SendTo, or simply associate that file type with the Guibuilder program. I modified some of CyberSlug's code & some of Roy's.

I also added the ability to store the last used folder location in a .ini file (Gbuild.ini), this entry is the default load or save location if the file/entry exists, otherwise it default's to My Documents.

The default GUI's .au3 filename, is also taken from Roy's template (*.agd) file, if you created one.

BUG FIX - 31 Aug 2005:

Command-line variable updated to ignore value of 1 - discovered this, when Guibuilder crashed on me, and I couldn't re-load the saved (*.agd) file, because $CmdLine[0] was returning a value of 1!

My Other Posts

Admin Rights & Shortcuts For All

Autoit Programmer's Aids

Context Options

New Folders

Projects Backup

Script Templates

Simple CDPlayer v1.2

Admin File Management (NEW)* :D

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Crashes every time the active window changes focus.

>Running:(3.2.2.0):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\GUIBuilder\GuiBuilder.au3"  
             >C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\GUIBuilder\GuiBuilder.au3 (660) : ==> Subscript used with non-Array variable.:
             Case $cursorInfo[4] = $grippy[1] 
             Case $cursorInfo^ ERROR

Try changing the line at about 643 to

$cursorInfo = GuiGetCursorInfo($main)

Hi eltorro'

Crashes every time the active window changes focus.

Never happened to me, and I use it nearly every day (long time) from within SCite - maybe it's related to the version of AutoIt you are running. That part of the code is still Cyberslug's original, but I'll look into it when I get time. :D

Thanks for the report! :)

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 10 months later...

hey I was starting with autoiT, but i want know more. You proyect of GuiBuilder is how visual AutoiT (cool) and i like work with you if it were posibly. well i check my mail later and my hotmail is buzonjl@hotmail.com

tanks

hey I was starting with autoiT, but i want know more. You proyect of GuiBuilder is how visual AutoiT (cool) and i like work with you if it were posibly. well i check my mail later and my hotmail is buzonjl@hotmail.com

tanks

Hi buzonjl

I'm not sure I understand what you are after?

GuiBuilder is CyberSlug's program - Roy and myself have only made some mods to it.

If you are suggesting I work with you on some project, then -

(1) I need more info.

(2) I mostly only make projects for myself, that assist me in some way, which I'm usually only too willing to share with others. I have made several frontends for other people's programs, but honestly there are many better programmers here than me (and maybe someone who speaks or writes your native tongue as well).

(3) Really you should only be making comments about this post here, or similarities with one of your own projects, etc. Soliciting help for something that is not related, can be seen as spamming! :)

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 8 months later...

Guess It need to be upgraded so that it can run with newer version of autoit.

That is correct. The original is no longer included with AutoIt for that reason. Jon said he would include it again as an example, if someone was willing to update it for compatability with Vista (or somesuch ... mentioned in one of the posts somewhere). I don't have Vista or easy access to it.

I am however thinking of rewriting GUIBuilder so that it is more compatible with my programming style, so that I can add new features whenever I want. I'm a bit of an old fuddy duddy, in that I still prefer it over Koda, and still prefer using AutoIt v3.2.4.9 at the moment, with which GUIBuilder still works fine.

I had another go with Koda only a few weeks ago, and both that and a fairly recent version of AutoIt gave me so many new things to figure out, that I just had to say 'another day' ... I never have enough time it seems. Koda still doesn't do things right by my mind ... but then, I've been spoiled by the simplicity and logic of GUIBuilder. It's not very powerful (yet), but what it does it does right ... at least for me. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 1 month later...

GuiBuilder has now been updated to v0.8. It now only supports the latest versions of AutoIt (i.e. v3.2.12.0 -->), inline with the change to #Include constant declarations.

If you need an older version for an older version of AutoIt, it is still available at Post #2 above.

The new v0.8 can be downloaded from here.

More Information

This program is now Prototype 0.8, and is hopefully compatible with AutoIt versions 3.2.12.0 -> 3.3.0.0. I've also added some minor improvements, fixes, etc. This is just a fairly quick update to make the program useable with the newer GUI includes scenario, with no effort to add any new or missing features (they may come later). I've done this update for those (like me) who like to create their GUI's simply and quickly, etc. This is not mean't to be all things for all scripters, so if you want that, then use KODA instead. This is my effort to prevent this once ground-breaking program from slipping into obscurity. I'm forever grateful to CyberSlug for providing the original, and to Roy for his later improvements.

This is made available for those who have fond memories of the original, and for those newbies who may be interested, to check out the only way we could build an AutoIt GUI visually originally - before the advent of KODA and a few others.

Enjoy

P.S. If any enterprising scripter out there, wants to use this as a basis for implementing the missing or new features, then they are quite welcome to. Source is included in the package.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

If you want to get GUIBuilder to work with SciTE, then follow these instructions.

1. Start SciTE (full install, not the cutback version supplied with AutoIt).

2. Select au3.properties from the Options menu.

3. Scroll down to about line 148 (usually).

4. Note that while sections # 10 Giuseppe's CodeWizard program and # 12 lookfar's Koda FormDesigner exist, there is usually no # 11.

5. Insert the following commands between # 10 & # 12 -

# 11 CyberSlug's AutoIT Gui Builder program

command.11.$(file.patterns.au3)="$(SciteDefaultHome)\GuiBuilder\GuiBuilder.exe" /StdOut

command.subsystem.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=1

command.name.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=GuiBuilder

command.shortcut.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=Alt+G

command.save.before.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=2

command.replace.selection.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=1

command.quiet.11.$(file.patterns.au3)=1

6. Click Save.

7. If you've installed my Toolbar For Any program, you can assign a button to start GUIBuilder (see examples provided, but basically you are assigning '!g' to a Sendkey option - see Alt+G above).

N.B. If # 11 does exist, then find a number that doesn't, and then replace every number '11' in the above command lines with that number.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

I downloaded the ZIP from here http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbhall/timbhall/downloads/TSGBv09/GuiBuilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip

I unzipped all the files to a folder, but when I run the GuiBuilder.AU3, I get the following (on any click)

AutoIt Error on Line 682
Case $cursorInfo[^ ERROR
Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable.

This is made available for those who have fond memories of the original, and for those newbies who may be interested, to check out the only way we could build an AutoIt GUI visually originally - before the advent of KODA and a few others.

after some testing i found ...

GuiGetCursorInfo() is supposed to return an array but it dont ... weird

Edit : and after more testing "The mouse cursor position is successful only on an window created by a GUICreate. When no winhandle it will be successful if the GUI Windows is active."

Edit2 : ok easy way to fix it is to replace $cursorInfo = GuiGetCursorInfo() at line 643 with

Do
        $cursorInfo = GuiGetCursorInfo()
    Until WinActive("AutoBuilder - ")

but u will get other errors and i wont try to fix more :)

Edited by yehia

Being new to all this, I've only had experience with Koda. I downloaded and tried GuiBuilder but I didn't think it was as easy as Koda. Having said that, my preference is now graph paper and pencil so what do I know? :)

I downloaded the ZIP from here http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbhall/timbhall/downloads/TSGBv09/GuiBuilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip://http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~timbh...uilder v0.8.zip

I unzipped all the files to a folder, but when I run the GuiBuilder.AU3, I get the following (on any click)

AutoIt Error on Line 682
  Case $cursorInfo[^ ERROR
  Error: Subscript used with non-Array variable.
@DaRam & @yehia & @WideBoyDixon

The GuiBuilder.AU3 file needs to be run or compiled with an earlier version of AutoIt (i.e. v3.2.0.1). This script file was only included for those who want to see it's inner workings (mostly created by CyberSlug) or modify it.

If you want to test the program, then stick to using the GuiBuilder.exe file, which does work with the latest versions of AutoIt (at least in my minimal testing it does).

@yehia & @DaRam please don't post links to my files. My method is there for the reasons I specify.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Thanks Saint. As many here I have a reluctance to running compiled files. I did not realize the update did not include the updated source, not to worry.

@DaRam & @yehia & @WideBoyDixon

The GuiBuilder.AU3 file needs to be run or compiled with an earlier version of AutoIt (i.e. v3.2.0.1). This script file was only included for those who want to see it's inner workings (mostly created by CyberSlug) or modify it.

If you want to test the program, then stick to using the GuiBuilder.exe file, which does work with the latest versions of AutoIt (at least in my minimal testing it does).

@yehia please don't post links to my files. My method is there for the reasons I specify.

Thanks Saint. As many here I have a reluctance to running compiled files. I did not realize the update did not include the updated source, not to worry.

No worries. ^_^

However, the source is an updated version - it just needs to be compiled with the earlier version I mentioned ... once compiled it does work with latest AutoIt.

GuiBuilder.exe is the compiled version of the supplied script.

I hope that makes sense to everyone. :huh2:

Anyone who wants to make the running of the script itself compatible, is welcome to. :)

P.S. If you have the earlier version of AutoIt that I specified, then you can even decompile GuiBuilder.exe to see that it is indeed perfectly safe. I can understand people here not wanting to run an executable from a newbie, but I've been around for awhile, and I'm sure others would have complained by now if any of my files weren't safe. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 4 weeks later...