[Solved] pass parameters to existing process

dzlee

at first >> i would like to thank the admin , administration crew of this magnificent forum ,

all autoit developer ..

autoit scripting was a perfect start to me in programing world ,

which became the most favorite thing

and soon as i wish my job ..

my Question :

how to pass parameters to existing process >>

as what "shellExecute" function do without start a new process .

--

Edited by dzlee

Can anyone block the possibility to change the font name? :puke:

@dzlee

You can't pass (command line) parameters to a process which is running I suppose.

However if you know how this process communicate, you will be able to do so.

Br, FireFox.

Can anyone block the possibility to change the font name? Posted Image

@dzlee

You can't pass (command line) parameters to a process which is running I suppose.

However if you know how this process communicate, you will be able to do so.

Br, FireFox.

i changed the font type for you ^_^

and , i think everything possible to intelligent programer .

wait for more experience member

thanks

• Moderators

Can anyone block the possibility to change the font name? :puke:

I personally would like to see an 8 pt., lime green Comic Sans MS become standard :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

dzlee,

To what sort of process do you want to pass parameters? One of your own compiled Autoit scripts? A third-party app? And what sort of parameters are you looking to pass? :huh:

M23

P.S. I did not mind your initial font at all - but thanks for resetting it to default to save FireFox's stomach from any possible damage seeing his unpleasant reaction to it. ;)

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

i changed the font type for you ^_^

and , i think everything possible to intelligent programer .

wait for more experience member

thanks

FireFox is experienced, so please show a little more respect around here.

As FireFox said it depends on the executable. For example the program might except the WM_COPYDATA message being sent to it with certain parameters. Or by passing a commandline to the filepath of the exe will then spawn a new process, which in turn will send that commandline to the running process. Experienced enough for you?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections() • _AlwaysRun() • _AppMon() • _AppMonEx() • _ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce • _BinaryBin() • _CheckMsgBox() • _CmdLineRaw() • _ContextMenu() • _ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor() • _DesktopDimensions() • _DisplayPassword() • _DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload() • _Fibonacci() • _FileCompare() • _FileCompareContents() • _FileNameByHandle() • _FilePrefix/SRE() • _FindInFile() • _GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor() • _GetConrolID() • _GetCtrlClass() • _GetDirectoryFormat() • _GetDriveMediaType() • _GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt() • _GetHardwareID() • _GetIP() • _GetIP_Country() • _GetOSLanguage() • _GetSavedSource() • _GetStringSize() • _GetSystemPaths() • _GetURLImage() • _GIFImage() • _GoogleWeather() • _GUICtrlCreateGroup() • _GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveXML() • _GUICtrlMenu_Recent() • _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage() • _GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray() • _GUIDisable() • _GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle() • _GUIRegisterMsg() • _GUISetIcon() • _Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set() • _IdleTime() • _InetGet() • _InetGetGUI() • _InetGetProgress() • _IPDetails() • _IsFileOlder() • _IsGUID() • _IsHex() • _IsPalindrome() • _IsRegKey() • _IsStringRegExp() • _IsSystemDrive() • _IsUPX() • _IsValidType() • _IsWebColor() • _Language() • _Log() • _MicrosoftInternetConnectivity() • _MSDNDataType() • _PathFull/GetRelative/Split() • _PathSplitEx() • _PrintFromArray() • _ProgressSetMarquee() • _ReDim() • _RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock() • _ScrollingCredits • _SelfDelete() • _SelfRename() • _SelfUpdate() • _SendTo() • _ShellAll() • _ShellFile() • _ShellFolder() • _SingletonHWID() • _SingletonPID() • _Startup() • _StringCompact() • _StringIsValid() • _StringRegExpMetaCharacters() • _StringReplaceWholeWord() • _StringStripChars() • _Temperature() • _TrialPeriod() • _UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate() • _WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE() • _WinAPI_CreateGUID() • _WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString() • Au3 script parsing • AutoIt Search • AutoIt3 Portable • AutoIt3WrapperToPragma • AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle() • Coding • DirToHTML5 • FileInstallr • FileReadLastChars() • GeoIP database • GUI - Only Close Button • GUI Examples • GUICtrlDeleteImage() • GUICtrlGetBkColor() • GUICtrlGetStyle() • GUIEvents • GUIGetBkColor() • Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse() • IsISBN() • LockFile() • Mapping CtrlIDs • OOP in AutoIt • ParseHeadersToSciTE() • PasswordValid • PasteBin • Posts Per Day • PreExpand • Protect Globals • Queue() • Resource Update • ResourcesEx • SciTE Jump • Settings INI • SHELLHOOK • Shunting-Yard • Signature Creator • Stack() • Stopwatch() • StringAddLF()/StringStripLF() • StringEOLToCRLF() • VSCROLL • WM_COPYDATA • More Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

FireFox is experienced, so please show a little more respect around here.

As FireFox said it depends on the executable. For example the program might except the WM_COPYDATA message being sent to it with certain parameters. Or by passing a commandline to the filepath of the exe will then spawn a new process, which in turn will send that commandline to the running process. Experienced enough for you?

you misunderstand me at all ..

i never meant to reduces respect of "Firefox" or any member, without mention that he expert or not .

actually i Thankful for him the fast reply .

and thank you for explanation .

dzlee,

To what sort of process do you want to pass parameters? One of your own compiled Autoit scripts? A third-party app? And what sort of parameters are you looking to pass? Posted Image

M23

P.S. I did not mind your initial font at all - but thanks for resetting it to default to save FireFox's stomach from any possible damage seeing his unpleasant reaction to it. Posted Image

I want to but some of my common functions in compiled script ..

which run as a follower process ,

like "plugin-container.exe" in firefox or "IEMonitor.exe" in "Internet Download Manager" ..

to be able to use the features of autoit at any other programing language , or

share the same functions with more than one program without include it in code ..

like dll file since autoit can't created as dll .

so i want to pass parameters contain function name and it's parameters ..

like this : process.exe "func1" "par1" "par2" "par3"

thank you ,,

• Moderators

dzlee,

So you are looking to pass parameters to a compiled AutoIt script. You can use the $CmdLine array to read them from within your script - take a look here. ;)

Or take a look at the AutoItX section of the forum - many of AutoIt's functions are available in the AutoItX3.dll file. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

dzlee,

So you are looking to pass parameters to a compiled AutoIt script. You can use the $CmdLine array to read them from within your script - take a look here. Posted Image

Or take a look at the AutoItX section of the forum - many of AutoIt's functions are available in the AutoItX3.dll file. Posted Image

M23

i want to pass the parameters to the still running compiled script without starting it as new process every time .

thank you .

Look at WM_COPYDATA in my signature (which is a UDF really) or search for 'interprocess communication.'

I know Melba23 likes trancexx's MailSlot UDF.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections() • _AlwaysRun() • _AppMon() • _AppMonEx() • _ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce • _BinaryBin() • _CheckMsgBox() • _CmdLineRaw() • _ContextMenu() • _ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor() • _DesktopDimensions() • _DisplayPassword() • _DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload() • _Fibonacci() • _FileCompare() • _FileCompareContents() • _FileNameByHandle() • _FilePrefix/SRE() • _FindInFile() • _GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor() • _GetConrolID() • _GetCtrlClass() • _GetDirectoryFormat() • _GetDriveMediaType() • _GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt() • _GetHardwareID() • _GetIP() • _GetIP_Country() • _GetOSLanguage() • _GetSavedSource() • _GetStringSize() • _GetSystemPaths() • _GetURLImage() • _GIFImage() • _GoogleWeather() • _GUICtrlCreateGroup() • _GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_CreateArray() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt() • _GUICtrlListView_SaveXML() • _GUICtrlMenu_Recent() • _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage() • _GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray() • _GUIDisable() • _GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle() • _GUIRegisterMsg() • _GUISetIcon() • _Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set() • _IdleTime() • _InetGet() • _InetGetGUI() • _InetGetProgress() • _IPDetails() • _IsFileOlder() • _IsGUID() • _IsHex() • _IsPalindrome() • _IsRegKey() • _IsStringRegExp() • _IsSystemDrive() • _IsUPX() • _IsValidType() • _IsWebColor() • _Language() • _Log() • _MicrosoftInternetConnectivity() • _MSDNDataType() • _PathFull/GetRelative/Split() • _PathSplitEx() • _PrintFromArray() • _ProgressSetMarquee() • _ReDim() • _RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock() • _ScrollingCredits • _SelfDelete() • _SelfRename() • _SelfUpdate() • _SendTo() • _ShellAll() • _ShellFile() • _ShellFolder() • _SingletonHWID() • _SingletonPID() • _Startup() • _StringCompact() • _StringIsValid() • _StringRegExpMetaCharacters() • _StringReplaceWholeWord() • _StringStripChars() • _Temperature() • _TrialPeriod() • _UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate() • _WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE() • _WinAPI_CreateGUID() • _WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString() • Au3 script parsing • AutoIt Search • AutoIt3 Portable • AutoIt3WrapperToPragma • AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle() • Coding • DirToHTML5 • FileInstallr • FileReadLastChars() • GeoIP database • GUI - Only Close Button • GUI Examples • GUICtrlDeleteImage() • GUICtrlGetBkColor() • GUICtrlGetStyle() • GUIEvents • GUIGetBkColor() • Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse() • IsISBN() • LockFile() • Mapping CtrlIDs • OOP in AutoIt • ParseHeadersToSciTE() • PasswordValid • PasteBin • Posts Per Day • PreExpand • Protect Globals • Queue() • Resource Update • ResourcesEx • SciTE Jump • Settings INI • SHELLHOOK • Shunting-Yard • Signature Creator • Stack() • Stopwatch() • StringAddLF()/StringStripLF() • StringEOLToCRLF() • VSCROLL • WM_COPYDATA • More Examples...

There are a few ways you can do what I think you want.

All it means is you need to choose some manner of process communication, and there are many.

You will need to set your main and slave scripts up in such a fashion that, the slave knows what to do with

given data, for example if the first parameter is 1, then it knows to perform func _one() and the rest of the

passed data is function parameter/s.

Communication will need to be two way if you need return values.

There are many examples of process communication around the forum.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

There are a few ways you can do what I think you want.

All it means is you need to choose some manner of process communication, and there are many.

You will need to set your main and slave scripts up in such a fashion that, the slave knows what to do with

given data, for example if the first parameter is 1, then it knows to perform func _one() and the rest of the

passed data is function parameter/s.

Communication will need to be two way if you need return values.

There are many examples of process communication around the forum.

exactly .. show me some of these example if this possible .

Look at WM_COPYDATA in my signature (which is a UDF really) or search for 'interprocess communication.'

I know Melba23 likes trancexx's MailSlot UDF.

very Impressive ,,

thank you ..

thank you all ,,

Edited by dzlee

dzlee,

No one is going to search the Forum and provide you with a list of links, that effort comes from you.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

guinness,

No of course .. but if he mean some specific threads , i would like to see them "if this possible" >>

it's a request not an order .

and I think , that the story end with "WM_COPYDATA" function ,,

last thing ... try to think good about me please ,,

i never meant try and i will not try to say or do anything that my concept as Insult to anyone ..

my respect .

Edited by dzlee

My personal favourite is by GreenCan

EDIT:

But there are quite a few ways much simpler than that, not least communication through

a file like txt, ini or xml etc...

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

My example (WM_COPYDATA) did you try it? Compile the code, run the executable and then send command parameters to the executable filepath e.g. if the executable is called Example.exe and located in root of C: then C:Example.exe "C:FilePath.au3" and you will see the first instance display the commandline. How simple is that? Or instead just drop a file onto the executable icon to pass the commandline to the first instance.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Another example as I'm feeling kind today. Just copy the _WM_COPYDATA functions from the post I provided before as I want a central place where I can update them in the future.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

; This is for the UDF functions, do not touch!
Global Enum $__hInterCommunicationGUI, $__iInterCommunicationControlID, $__sInterCommunicationIDString, $__sInterCommunicationData, $__iInterCommunicationMax
Global $__vInterCommunicationAPI[$__iInterCommunicationMax] ; Internal array for the WM_COPYDATA functions.

If Not @Compiled Then
    Exit MsgBox(4096, '', 'Compile this example before running.')
EndIf

; Create a unique ID
_WM_COPYDATA_SetID('myCustomID')

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Start the intercommunication process.
    Local $iControlID = _WM_COPYDATA_Start()
    If @error Then ; If it already exists i.e. there is another instance of the program running then exit.
        If Not _WM_COPYDATA_Send($CmdLineRaw) Then ; Send $CmdLineRaw if there is process already running. This may be blank but send it anyway.
            MsgBox(4096, '2nd Instance: ' & @AutoItPID, 'Seems there was an @error, but more than likely $CmdLineRaw was blank.')
        EndIf
        Exit
    EndIf

; You can add your GUI code here.
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate('')
    Local $iClose = GUICtrlCreateButton('Close', 310, 370, 85, 25)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

; If this is the first instance then just continue.
    While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $iClose
                ExitLoop

Case $iControlID ; If the WM_COPYDATA message is interecepted then show the optimise function. This is the commandline from the second instance.
                _Optimise()
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

; Start the intercommunication process.
    _WM_COPYDATA_Shutdown()
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func _Optimise()
    Return MsgBox(4096, '1st Instance: ' & @AutoItPID, _WM_COPYDATA_GetData()) ; Get the WM_COPYDATA file.
EndFunc   ;==>_Optimise
Edited by guinness

UDF List: