AutoItX DLL and WinAPI Calls

Guest stevenpicard

Guest stevenpicard

I think AutoIt and AutoItX are awesome! I understand that AutoItX currently does not contain all the functionality of AutoIt but is there a reason for that? Maybe the rational is that not everything is needed but I think even including the interpreter would be handy. :whistle:

However, one feature I would love to see included are the DLLOpen, DLLCall and DLLClose functions. Some people may scratch their heads wondering why but my reason is the use of these function in VBScript (or other scripting languages that support ActiveX.) It would be *very* handy to be able to make API calls from VBScript or call standard DLLs. I would be grinning from ear to ear for a week if you made these functions available. :dance:

most pure programmers would call that sacreligous... but i do agree it would be useful though the possiblity of a autoit 'User' Virus increases ten fold.. and i dont think developers wanna see a vbs autoit javascript virus on there heads >.< i bet there are other reasons they kept it out of the COM interface ...

http://www.myclanhosting.com/defiasVisit Join and contribute to a soon to be leader in Custumized tools development in [C# .Net 1.1 ~ 2.0/C/C++/MFC/AutoIt3/Masm32]

Guest stevenpicard

though the possiblity of a autoit 'User' Virus increases ten fold..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that is true for any language that enables user's to make API calls, though. However, my intentions for this are purely legitimate and you have to admit how handy it would be.

For example, here is an XML development environment that uses scripting languages for the coding portion (this is really cool, BTW): http://www.zuggsoft.com/zapp. One limitation of zApp as a development environment is the lack of API and standard DLL calling. Including the OpenDLL, CallDLL, etc. function would just polish everything off nicely. :whistle:

I also have uses for this at work. I would like to use VBScript to use the AutoItX DLL and then use ADO to update our database with the results of our tests. Some of our tests require API calls. It would be much easier to distribute the one ActiveX then additional custom made ones.

Edited by stevenpicard

I think AutoIt and AutoItX are awesome! I understand that AutoItX currently does not contain all the functionality of AutoIt but is there a reason for that? Maybe the rational is that not everything is needed but I think even including the interpreter would be handy.  :whistle: 

However, one feature I would love to see included are the DLLOpen, DLLCall and DLLClose functions. Some people may scratch their heads wondering why but my reason is the use of these function in VBScript (or other scripting languages that support ActiveX.) It would be *very* handy to be able to make API calls from VBScript or call standard DLLs. I would be grinning from ear to ear for a week if you made these functions available.  :dance:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't you just start programming in a scripting language that already exposes the Win32api, ie Python?

I recommend you get the ActiveState Python, which has all the Win32 stuff in a single MSI installer:

See: http://www.activestate.com

Guest stevenpicard

Why don't you just start programming in a scripting language that already exposes the Win32api, ie Python?

I recommend you get the ActiveState Python, which has all the Win32 stuff in a single MSI installer:

See:  http://www.activestate.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty much everyone has MS scripting runtime installed and so can run VBScript and Javascript. Installing Python is too much of a hassle, IMO. But I do appreciate your suggestion.

• 1 year later...