Horizontally Flip Screen

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to horizontally flip, (not rotate), the screen in XP/Win7? Linux has a way, it seems, but I don't use it much. I am trying to mirror the monitor output so I can use a mirror to reflect the video screen. I've looked into rear projection and NVidia Keystone and have had no success so far, (Keystone doesn't work on my video card and can't find any rear projection software that does the job).

I was thinking of 3 different ways to approach this:

• Software based. This I was hoping AutoIt might handle, though it may be the slowest way to do it.
  • Hardware based. I thought of rewiring the VGA connector to maybe get a reverse horizontal scan, but no info on this so far.
  • Driver based. Either finding a driver online, (no luck there), or making my own. Can you make drivers with AutoIt?

Hope someone can help me with this. I am in the middle of a project and this is the one thing holding it up. Thanks.

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

What video card do you have in the computer, and is there a video card setting for screen rotation?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Rotation is separate from flipping/mirroring. Sounds like he's trying to build a video game cabinet. Mirroring was often used for that kind of purpose.

After a quick google search, I found several hardware options that basically put a black box between your video output and your monitor to flip it for you, but that's extremely pricey. Your options really depend on the answer Brew's question ... what video card are you using? I'm assuming NVIDIA since you mentioned "Keystone".

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Screen flipping is just rotating 180 degrees and flipping the text appropriately, they are the same concept with different names.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

With AltGr + arrow key (or Ctrl + Alt + arrow key) you can rotate the display to left, up, down or right. But I haven't found a key combination to flip the display.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

OldCoder,

A possible "hardware" solution - could you not use 2 mirrors to get the final image shown correctly? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

OldCoder,

A possible "hardware" solution - could you not use 2 mirrors to get the final image shown correctly? :huh:

M23

I had thought of that, but the space available is limited. As "Blue_Drache" had figured out, I am creating an old style, stand up video arcade game for my kids. I am painting the inside black and placing a large mirror inside to reflect the video output. The fastest solution would be best, since the games may require most of the CPU/GPUs processing cycles.

The video card I am using is in my old P4 computer; a GForce 8400GS. It's not the greatest card in the west, but for the old P4, it's rockin'. I didn't want to buy a bunch of new equipment just for this project, which is more an experiment then a project.

I've looked into yoke flipping, (going inside my old CRT and reversing the horizontal feeds to the yoke), and may go this way, but I was hoping for something as simple as a new or modded video driver.

Thanks everyone for your responses, and BTW "BrewManNH", I just want to reverse the screen horizontally, (make text and everything appear backward), not rotate the screen. This I can do...wish the other was that easy.

Any more ideas are most welcome and thanks to you all again.

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

Have you looked at the settings for the display in the video card settings? Many of them allow for this.

Have you looked at the settings for the display in the video card settings? Many of them allow for this.

For reversing video...I've never seen it before. Most modern video cards allow for rotation for such purposes as tablets so you could rotate 90° so the text can be displayed like a book, not in wide screen. On the other hand, if you know of any video cards with such abilities, I am more then eager to hear about them. A new video card would be an expense I wouldn't mind. Thanks.

I was thinking the NVKeystone software for NVidia cards might have worked, but I just checked and it doesn't support Series 8 or above cards.

I was thinking the NVKeystone software for NVidia cards might have worked, but I just checked and it doesn't support Series 8 or above cards.

Exactly. I had thought of that as well, though they say an older version could be used on the 8xxx series, I have yet to find it. Even if I did find it, this would be less then ideal since it is a software solution, which nVidia even admits is too slow for graphic intensive programs, like games.

At this point I will probably go with the yoke flipping, but if anyone has another solution, I am all ears. Thanks again.

http://diyprojectorkits.com/beginners-area/2096-need-software-flip-monitor-image-horizontally.html

This will get you sniffing in the right direction for your card. Look at the last post.

edit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html

The person is using an older card than yours to flip the monitor output. And your setup is pretty much a projector kit. May be able to find better know-how on that board. :)

Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache