Delete temp dir for all users Win 7

hi all,

i am new to autoit, i also tried searching the forum for help but i cant seem to get this to work.

i am trying to run a startup script with a gpo that will delete all the content in all of the users temp dir in a win 7 env.

here is what i have so far:

#include <File.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
Local $UsersDir = _FileListToArray("C:\Users")
DirRemove($UsersDir & "\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*")

filelisttoarray returns an array, you would need to loop through that like:

edit* put the arraydisplay in so you can see what you are working through

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
$users = _FileListToArray("C:users" , "*" , 2)

_ArrayDisplay($users)

for $i = 1 to $users[0]
filedelete("c:users" & $users[$i] & "appdatalocaltemp*.*")
next
Edited by boththose

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

in session you probably have all sorts of fun ACL and attribute issues. Dump the file list of the temp directory and iterate through that and you should be able to clean up all the files that are not in use

just throwing the contents of each temp file to an array, and deleting them individually. In my experience, that lets the locked files error out individually, rather than bombing your entire wildcarded filedelete.

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>

;~ _ArrayDisplay($users)

for $i = 1 to $users[0]

$tempfiles = _FileListToArray("c:users" & $users[$i] & "appdatalocaltemp")

If isarray($Tempfiles) Then
;~ _ArrayDisplay($tempfiles)
for $j = $tempfiles[0] to 1 step -1
filedelete("c:users" & $users[$i] & "appdatalocaltemp" & $Tempfiles[$j])
next
EndIf

$tempfiles = ""

next
Edited by boththose

If you want to delete the contents of all the Temp folders, you can just do a DirRemove on the Temp folder itself. As soon as the user logs back on, the folder gets recreated without any issues. It's a LOT easier than trying to delete each file and/or folder from the Temp folder. Don't forget to set the Recurse flag on DirRemove so that it deletes everything.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

If you use DirRemove with the recurse flag set, it deletes the Temp folder, all the files in it, all the folders under it, and all the files in those folders as well.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

that would probably be the easiest thing to do.

so it would look something like this?

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
_ArrayDisplay($users)
for $i = 1 to $users[0]
dirremove("c:users" & $users[$i] & "appdatalocaltemp" ,1)
next

You can't delete your own Temp folder while you're logged in, the folder and probably several files are going to be in use. Where I work, we delete the Temp folder as the user logs out so that it gets rid of all the crap they've accumulated during their session. Sometimes it works, sometimes there's still a file in use that prevents it, but it works 99% of the time.

In case you're wondering what my last post was referring to, there's a post that isn't there any longer that I was responding to.

yeah i was editing and blanked it in err, then subsequently deleted it rather than retype all that, i suppose you were replying in the duration. In my additional playing in the mean, DirRemove with recurse works just as well in session as any other mechanism, minus the objects with attribute issues and those in use, naturally.

Edited by boththose

• 3 years later...

Why are you posting in a thread nearly 4 years old and then asking a question no one could possibly answer because you gave no information?

And why would you address the one person who isnt here?

31 minutes ago, Nadir said:

Please Tell Me How I Can I Do It Please BrewManNH And iamtheky

1. Don't bump posts you don't own
  2. Don't beg people to help you
  3. Learn about Forum etiquette
  4. Do not reply to this message

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018